Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Camera Strap

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Crumpler strap too, it is so comfortable. However I am looking at the R strap as sometimes I don't want the strap getting in the way. I see they have a new attachment device now, the fasten R3. Anyone have info on shipping times, costs etc? I assume you have to buy direct from blackrapid?
    Alan
    -------------------------------------------
    Olympus OM-1, EM-1, Canon 5DMkII, and a few other bits and bobs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alan - I bought mine direct from Black Rapid and from memory the shipping time was pretty quick, about 8 or 9 business days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    R-Strap is great

delivery time from black rapid < a week.
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    R Strap works really well for me on simple photo trips when I'm not carrying anything else. Easy and super comfy
    chaz
    Nikon D90; Nikkor 18-200mm & 105mm f2.8 macro
    iMac CS3; Gitzo Explorer & RRS BH-40

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have just ordered one! Now just to take delivery of my new camera and brand new lens!!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After much thought re the R Strap, went with the Luma Labs strap instead as it offers multiple possibilities for attaching the camera rather than just the tripod socket

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    where do you guys order the R-Strap from? I may be interested

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coolie21 View Post
    After much thought re the R Strap, went with the Luma Labs strap instead as it offers multiple possibilities for attaching the camera rather than just the tripod socket
    Looks interesting, but i'm not convinced hanging a d300 (or bigger) with a pro lens from one the regular neck strap ring is such a good idea. The tripod fitting is a much stronger solution.

Quote Originally Posted by JM Tran View Post
    where do you guys order the R-Strap from? I may be interested
    I've ordered all my R-strap/fittings directly from black rapid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scenario...you have an R strap. Once camera attached to it...other camer in hand....and your focuses on focusing...and kneel down for the low angle shot....does the camera on the R strap make contact with the ground? Anybody been in that situation? Also if your using two cameras (as in a sport shoot or something along those lines or even a wedding where you might have a tele zoom for primary use and a wide angle as well) and you dont have the double harness. What do you do with your other camera ie the one you holding in your hand. Do you stop and put it down or do you just grab the one on the strap and shoot single handed? Im leaning towards the double harness (you can remove one side). I would be interested in some real life examples of how people are using it and their experiences. I understand that most people would only be using one camera at a time but Im sure there are some out there that use two.

Adrian Fischer
    Brisbane, Australia

Gear: Nikon D80, D300, Nikon 35mm f1.8, 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8, 105mm f2.5, 18-200 VR, 70-200 VR, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8, Sigma 50-500, Tonkina 12-24 f4, SB-600, various YongNuo Strobes, various umbrellas, 6 x 300w studio flashes, various softboxes, reflectors, stands, transmitters and receivers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Fischer View Post
    Scenario...you have an R strap....does the camera on the R strap make contact with the ground? Anybody been in that situation?
    I use two RS4 straps criss-crossed as i got mine before the double harness came out.

As for touching the ground - depends how low the camera hangs. Mine hang about waist level (just below) when i stand so when kneeling the camera(s) are not not touching the ground. When I need to sit/lay on the ground sometimes I'll take the straps off. It's usually if the ground is hard because i once scratched my gear when i moved and dragged the camera along the concrete...

The double harness works well from all reports (i have a few colleagues using it now).

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by campo View Post
    Looks interesting, but i'm not convinced hanging a d300 (or bigger) with a pro lens from one the regular neck strap ring is such a good idea. The tripod fitting is a much stronger solution.
    Not even happy re the tripod fitting. It will hang off an L-plate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coolie21 View Post
    Not even happy re the tripod fitting. It will hang off an L-plate
    an L-plate screws into a tripod fitting does it not? I guess the shape helps distribute the load a bit, but ultimately you're relying in the thread in the tripod fitting.

Having used the r-straps for years, and known people who have used them even longer, I'm more then happy to rely on the body's tripod fitting or lens foot fitting to hang gear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    an L-plate screws into a tripod fitting does it not? I guess the shape helps distribute the load a bit, but ultimately you're relying in the thread in the tripod fitting.

Having used the r-straps for years, and known people who have used them even longer, I'm more then happy to rely on the body's tripod fitting or lens foot fitting to hang gear.
    No, the L-plate screws into your camera and clamps onto your tripod.
    Canon 5D MKII, 17-40mm f/4L, 24-105mm f/4L, 17mm TS-E f/4L, 24mm f/1.4L II, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L
    135mm f/2L.
    Alien bee lights, Gitzo tripods, Adobe CS5

I find the single most valuable tool on my computer is my recycle bin.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't want to drag this out, and you are probably right, but the point of attaching to the L plate is that there is no torque on the tripod screw/fastener when the camera swings about.

But I mainly chose it because of the option of keeping the tripod hole for a tripod attachment....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought the pro range strap from optech USA.... it's really comfy... But there is the sling strap coming soon.... that might be a good one?

Nikon D700 in all it's glory!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But I mainly chose it because of the option of keeping the tripod hole for a tripod attachment....
    and that's the biggest issue i have with my rstraps not having a mount point for tripod without unscrewing. My solution is to attach r-strap to the foot of my 70-200, which frees the tripod fitting on the body. This is the body i'll mount on a tripod when i need it at a wedding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have just received my R-Strap from the USA that i ordered on the 18th - - so not bad postage and waiting time of just a little over a week

Oh to get home and attach it! LOL

Cheers Kellie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12