User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: speed rating ASA/ISO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

speed rating ASA/ISO

I've been cleaning out some old stuff which has been stored in the roof for ages and came across an old flash gun which is about 35 years old.

It was a pretty good bit of gear in its day with several settings and rated out to 40'.

Some of the dials are set out in ASA ratings.

Is that equivalent to ISO, or is there a difference?

John R

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ASA and ISO are the same thing

ASA used to be used in some parts of the world, there was also a littler known European standard called DIN. They all mean the same thing, and ISO became the world standard. An ASA 100 film is the same as an ISO 100 film.

The ISO/ASA represented the 'speed' of the film based on its level of sensitivity to light. An ISO 200 film is twice as sensitive to light as an ISO 100 film, and a 400 is twice as sensitive as a 200.

The digital equivalent has been to use the same system of ISO to determine how sensitive the camera sensor is to light, but the overall idea behind ISO remains the same, for film or sensor.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The current ISO for digital sensitivity corresponds to the ASA system I'm pretty sure.

Usually wouldn't use wikipedia as a reference... but a quick google found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_sp...ent_ISO_system

Paul

EDIT: Beaten by Rick :-)
    Australian Nature Photography

Nikon D7000
    Nikkor 12-24, Nikkor 28-70/2.8, Nikkor 50/1.8, Tamron 60/2, Sigma 100-300/4, Sigma 180/3.5 macro, Nikkor 500/4, 1.4x TC, 1.7x TC

(Comments And Critique On My Images Most Welcome)

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI In the stickies in this forum... http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...hread.php?t=30 (Dictionary)
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rick, Paul & Kym.

I assumed they were equivalent but if I hadn't checked Murphy's Law would have meant I was wrong.

Kym. I did have a fair bit of a search around the site before posting but I must admit I never thought of looking in the Dictionary - thanks for that

John R

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those who aren't aquanted with Standards, the Letters ASA, ISO & DIN are actually acronyms for Standards organisations around the globe, like here in Australia with Australian Standards (AS).

ASA - American Standards Association

ISO - International Organization for Standardization

DIN - Deutsches Institut fur Normung - the German Institute for Standardization

Its actually very fortunate that all three standards are actually the same ie 100 ASA = 100 ISO = 100 DIN. The large majority or standards in the world all manage to come up with some reason that they need to be different due to local demand. Imagine getting film or camera setting where 100 ISO operates on a different number if read in the ASA setting or even worse a different logrithmic numerics scale ie 2 = 5 but 3 = 27 and 4 = 103 - almost impossible to calculate without knowing the base algorithm.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkW View Post
    Its actually very fortunate that all three standards are actually the same ie 100 ASA = 100 ISO = 100 DIN.
    Wrong, actually. DIN is not at all on the same scale as ISO and ASA, for example, ISO/ASA100 is equivalent to DIN 21 (with a little symbol for degree). If I recall, three DIN steps were equivalent to a doubling of ISO/ASA, so that ISO 400 would be equivalent to DIN 24.
    Am.

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Wrong, actually. DIN is not at all on the same scale as ISO and ASA, for example, ISO/ASA100 is equivalent to DIN 21 (with a little symbol for degree). If I recall, three DIN steps were equivalent to a doubling of ISO/ASA, so that ISO 400 would be equivalent to DIN 24.
    Am.
    Correct! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_speed
    DIN is a logarithmic scale and ASA/ISO is arithmetic

As people have enough trouble with f/stops (square roots as it's about area), imagine adding in a log scale

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Kym. I was a bit out above. I should have said that ISO 200 is equiv. to DIN 24.

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Kym. I was a bit out above. I should have said that ISO 200 is equiv. to DIN 24.
    No drama. The link shows the ISO/DIN conversion.
    DIN is not used nowadays (or ISO is published as well).
    It's only any use for very old film stock per OP, which is probably useless anyway.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am.
    Oops, I must have miss read the article, I thought that DIN went up the same as ASA, I should have known it was too good to be true.