User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Second camera

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Second camera

I`m upgrading to a 7D soon,I intend to keep my 450D as a second body for a while,I will want to replace it eventually.I`ve been thinking,after the 7D,a 5DII might be a good move.Any thoughts.
    Kev.
    C+C and Edits Welcome,just tell me what you did.
    Canon 50D,EF-S17-85mm,EF100mm F2.8 Macro,MT-24EX Flash.
    Sigma 150-500mm f5.6-6.3 DG.
    Photoshop Elements 7

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aww Kev the 7d sure sounds like a birding camera. The 8 fps is very appealing. From what I read its a great camera - i am currently close to buying it (ducks for cover as hubby walks past).

I would love full frame - but my birding comes first in photography - so that is what i would get. The full frame are good for landscapes and portraits I believe. Now, in the ideal world you would have both.
    Shelley
    (constructive criticism welcome)

www.shelleypearsonphotography.com

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelley View Post
    Aww Kev the 7d sure sounds like a birding camera. The 8 fps is very appealing. From what I read its a great camera - i am currently close to buying it (ducks for cover as hubby walks past).

I would love full frame - but my birding comes first in photography - so that is what i would get. The full frame are good for landscapes and portraits I believe. Now, in the ideal world you would have both.
    The 7D and my 100-400mm will be inseperable,my beloved 450D will continue it`s duty as my backup and,if I`m lucky,macro camera.I am however going to want better,the 5DII,it should suit my needs,my 450D will go to someone starting out and in need of a good piece of kit at a bargain price.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A mate has a 5D. Quality is superb - a top class camera BUT two issues for you. As it's a full frame camera you lose the "crop factor" of your 450 and 7D. If you are into bird photography, you are going to lose some "pulling power". That can be more than overcome with the much higher resolution of the 5D compared with the 450D - it is less of an advantage when compared with the 7D as it has 18Mpx. Second point - my mate has had to go out and buy a new computer as the file sizes are around 50mB and with layers up to 200mB. His old computer just did not have the processing power to handle these file sizes and slowed to a frustrating crawl. But he absolutely loves his 5D - brilliant images.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kevin, I started out with a 50D and later bought a 5D MkII and never once regretted the move, I still have my 50D and run the two cameras side-by-side, they do things differently and although the "crop" is lost with the 5D I would not part them as a working pair. I also have the 7D and it offers another set of features again and think they are as good a combination as I can imagine....only problem is one of them usually has to get left at home sometimes....easy to resolve...take the lot!!!!!
    Richard
    I've been wrong before!! Happy to have constructive criticism though.Gear used Canon 50D, 7D & 5DMkII plus expensive things hanging off their fronts and of course a "nifty fifty".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    * delete due to wrong posting *
    Last edited by albling; 04-04-2010 at 2:19am.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats wonderful news about the 7D Kevin..
    The full frame camera sounds great for later if thats what you want.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace55 View Post
    A mate has a 5D. Quality is superb - a top class camera BUT two issues for you. As it's a full frame camera you lose the "crop factor" of your 450 and 7D. If you are into bird photography, you are going to lose some "pulling power". That can be more than overcome with the much higher resolution of the 5D compared with the 450D - it is less of an advantage when compared with the 7D as it has 18Mpx. Second point - my mate has had to go out and buy a new computer as the file sizes are around 50mB and with layers up to 200mB. His old computer just did not have the processing power to handle these file sizes and slowed to a frustrating crawl. But he absolutely loves his 5D - brilliant images.
    Thanks Ace,the 7D will be my birding camera,the 5DII will be for everything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwg717 View Post
    Kevin, I started out with a 50D and later bought a 5D MkII and never once regretted the move, I still have my 50D and run the two cameras side-by-side, they do things differently and although the "crop" is lost with the 5D I would not part them as a working pair. I also have the 7D and it offers another set of features again and think they are as good a combination as I can imagine....only problem is one of them usually has to get left at home sometimes....easy to resolve...take the lot!!!!!
    Richard
    Thanks Richard,I think the hardest thing is going to be parting with my beloved 450D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Anne View Post
    Thats wonderful news about the 7D Kevin..
    The full frame camera sounds great for later if thats what you want.
    The 7D sounds like the Dream Birding camera,I`m buying it for my Birthday,I was going to upgrade to the 5DII until the 7D came out.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are jsut doing this.
    Wife has teh new 7D while an old 20D serves back-up and as my camera.
    But it's deteriorating, as it's over 7 yr old, and it will give up teh ghost sometime.
    So we are looking at getting a 5D II.
    We feel they will be very complementary.
    She does action, I'm getting into macro.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just buy to 7 D's that what i want to do....
    Jeff - Jeff D Photography
    Canon -
    http://jeffdphoto.ifp3.com/
    www.jeffdphotography.com.au

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a good plan.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definately sounds like a plan.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 50D and 5DMKII Kevin and I wouldn't want to be without either.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems like I might have to have my own "Holy Trinity" ,the 7D,the 5DII and the 450D.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would try the 7D first and then consider a full frame camera you might not need it.
    Just love my 7D
    Regards
    Bodies : Canon 450D, Canon 7D
    Lenses : Canon 15-85 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100mm F2.8 Makro USM, Canon 24-70 L F2.8 USM, Canon 70-200 L F4, Canon 100-400 L F4.5-5.6L IS USM
    Editing : Photoshop CS5

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love also my 7D. Also kept the 400D and used both on the weekend with different lenses, saves a lot of lens changing. No thoughts on a FF at the moment though, maybe a 1D MkIV later on if I win lotto.
    Keith

Canon 400D Gripped, Canon 7D LCD Timer Gripped, Canon 70-200 f2.8L is ii. Canon 2X iii Extender, Canon 50mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 18-250, Sigma 17-50 F2.8, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 90mm Macro, Yonguno YN460 & 460ii Speedlights and a Hanimax TZ 1 Flash, Wireless Triggers ,LED Macro Ringlight, Extension Tubes, 3 tripods, 2 monopods, PS Elements 5 & 10, PSP9 and canon s/ware, various filters and other photographic paraphernalia all packed in a computrecker backpack. NEW:- Panasonic GX8, 45-150, 14mm F2.5. PSE 2018.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pine View Post
    I would try the 7D first and then consider a full frame camera you might not need it.
    Just love my 7D
    Regards
    The 7D is a definite,the 5DII will be down the track a way,Macro lens and flash will come first I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    I love also my 7D. Also kept the 400D and used both on the weekend with different lenses, saves a lot of lens changing. No thoughts on a FF at the moment though, maybe a 1D MkIV later on if I win lotto.
    I`ll be keeping my 450D,FF will come as finances allow,a lotto win would mean more L glass and a body for each lens,