User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Thoughts on a re-shoot?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thoughts on a re-shoot?

Last weekend my wife & I went to Sydney's Royal Botanic Gardens with the express purpose of practicing our photography. We came away with a small selection of landscape, wildlife and a few macro shots.

After reviewing my work, I've decided that I'm not really happy with any of the photos, except for one, which I posted on AP (Wildlife) for C&C - but of course it's not perfect (nor did I expect it to be) and others have offered some helpful comments. I've been able to identify where most of my photos went wrong - boring composition, composition almost but not quite right, exposure issues, aperture issues, etc etc.

Anyway, to get to the point - does anyone here think there's much value in us "returning to the scene of the crime (against photography)" under similar weather conditions and attempting a re-shoot? Or should we simply move on and try another location. I'd prefer the latter (and the wife would need some convincing to return as she found it quite "boring"), but if there is real merit in re-shooting then I'd consider it. Or perhaps we should return, but only after we have more experience, say, in 6 months time?

TIA
    Regards,
    --
    Nikon D90
    Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II, Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
    Nikon SB-700 Speedlight
    RRS BH-55 Ballhead & B2 AS II Clamp
    (no legs yet)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My personal opinion is to return and try again,

BUT, if you and your wife are both against the idea of returning to the same place, I would strongly suggest that you go somewhere else.
    If you go with a preconceived idea then you won't get the most out of the opportunity, and will only be further disheartened if you don't achieve what you want.

So in your case I suggest somewhere else
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Id reshoot only to prove that changing/learning from last time actually works
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm been re-shooting several locations for about 6 months now every couple of weeks... one day I'll get 'em right
    Craig

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you find it boring then no....photography should be fun. You can still implement the things you learned in another location.
    Cheers, Lani.
    Bodies: Nikon D700, D300 Primes: Nikon 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4G, 105mm VR 2.8, 300mm f4. Zooms: Nikon 14-24 2.8, 24-70 2.8, 70-200VR II 2.8, Sigma 10-20mm Processing: Photoshop CS5 extended, LR 3.2.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for you opinions guys! I think I've decided to go with the majority here and give it a miss for now. I wouldn't enjoy it anywhere near as much as going somewhere different, I must admit. However, I feel it would probably be a useful exercise to return once I felt that I have made some notable progress.

And Kiwi - absolutely love your sig!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Tia....all I can say is the world is such a big place. Go back later on, have a look elsewhere for the moment. My .02`s worth.
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tcdev View Post
    Thanks for you opinions guys! I think I've decided to go with the majority here and give it a miss for now. I wouldn't enjoy it anywhere near as much as going somewhere different, I must admit. However, I feel it would probably be a useful exercise to return once I felt that I have made some notable progress.

And Kiwi - absolutely love your sig!
    But... the majority said go back! LOL. Only one person voted not to. I am confused now

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gcflora View Post
    But... the majority said go back! LOL. Only one person voted not to. I am confused now
    Yes, but not straight away! Hence the reason I said I'd return later!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it was me and I wasn't happy with the first lot of shots, I would return and try again.
    If you have an idea on how you did your last shoot, return and reshoot it differently.
    The only other thing I would suggest is make sure you take a tripod with you as well.
    Good Luck.
    Cheers Peter
    Canon 7D...Canon 40D...Canon 24-70L 2.8...Canon 70-200L 2.8...Canon 17-85...Canon 50mm...Speedlights....Tripods...Filters... Battery grips.... And heaps of other stuff

There are always two people in every picture.. the photographer and the viewer.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think the phrase 'with similar weather conditions' is the wrong one. Go again, under entirely different conditions. Photography is about capturing light, and only taking photos under similar weather conditions is restricting you. Push yourself and go when the weather is completely different, you might just learn about how the ambient light affects the results.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    many a time I have looked at my shots and decided that they were rubbish...... went and shot something else and a week or two later went back for a re shoot of the first with a total different out look of what I was shooting and a total different approach....... the images were a lot better.

....... sometimes you need a break from a bad shoot day and return with a fresh approach

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't know where you went wrong, then don't go back. If you have an idea of how to make it better, then go back. Otherwise try something else.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Light lessons

Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    I think the phrase 'with similar weather conditions' is the wrong one. Go again, under entirely different conditions. Photography is about capturing light, and only taking photos under similar weather conditions is restricting you. Push yourself and go when the weather is completely different, you might just learn about how the ambient light affects the results.
    The only reason I specified "similar weather conditions" was to see if I could manage better photos with the same light. My reasoning being that better light might produce better pictures without me necessarily doing anything "better".

I see your point, but I guess my angle was learning how to use the light you've got. Your suggestion is of course equally as valid, though I think it's a different lesson altogether?!?