Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Ray Flash Ring

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ray Flash Ring

Hi

Has anyone used the Ray flash ring and how do you find it? I'm looking to get one but no local place has one so far, and don't want to order from overseas and wait .

Just thought I'd ask what the ones who have it think of it

Thanks

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try here
    http://www.d-d-photographics.com.au/rayflash.htm
    Don't know anything about them though, had been looking at ring flashes the other night and remembered this.
    Keith

Canon 400D Gripped, Canon 7D LCD Timer Gripped, Canon 70-200 f2.8L is ii. Canon 2X iii Extender, Canon 50mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 18-250, Sigma 17-50 F2.8, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 90mm Macro, Yonguno YN460 & 460ii Speedlights and a Hanimax TZ 1 Flash, Wireless Triggers ,LED Macro Ringlight, Extension Tubes, 3 tripods, 2 monopods, PS Elements 5 & 10, PSP9 and canon s/ware, various filters and other photographic paraphernalia all packed in a computrecker backpack. NEW:- Panasonic GX8, 45-150, 14mm F2.5. PSE 2018.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks man, they were my first go-to-guys but they don't have 'em in stock and don't know when the next shipment will be...

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Romus, try the link below, which contains discussion of ring flash attachments and pictures of the O-flash version that I own (a low cost eBay version of the Rayflash).

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...ad.php?t=47776
    Richard
    Canon 5D4 & 7D2 | 11-24 f/4 L | 24-105 f/4 L | 100-400 L II | 85 f/1.2 L | 35 f/1.4 L II | 100 f/2.8 L macro | MP-E 65 f/2.8 macro | 1.4x | 580EX2 | MT-24 Twin Lite | Manfrotto

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Tricky, thanks for that. Unfortunatelly I think that unit is pretty much restricted to macro, whereas I'm looking to improve my portrait shots (sorry, probably should have included that in the OP :P).

There's a unit that looks just like ray flash, called Coco or something, sold by the Digi Cam warehouse but that too is unavailable. The only one around is the orbis, but it costs more and is hand-held, unless I buy the bracket and also gotta pay for the cable connection.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's another alternative I'm thinking of trying.
    http://stores.shop.ebay.com.au/LinkD...34Q2ec0Q2em322
    Keith.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm looks good, better than the Ray flash ring. This bit "This LED Macro Ring Light, a well-designed device for close shots" worries me as I'm mainly using a 135mm for my portraits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Ray Flash Ring

Whatever you end up with, please post a review. I'm considering this in the long-term future, but the sample images I've seen for the RayMan on the DD site linked in this thread, quite frankly, look crap. There's some exceptions, but a number look like the flash was too small across the model, leading to shadows starting at the cheeks and chin, rather than the side of the face for a nice soft fall off I'd be looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Darchangel (aka Pete)
    Please CC my images.

"Before judging a man, always walk a mile in his shoes. That way when you judge him you're a mile away, and you have his shoes"

Canon 7D, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-300 f/4.5-5.6, Visatech Solo monoblocks

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will do mate but doesn't look like it will be any time soon, seeing that I can't find it anywhere :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Sunpak 622 has a ringflash attachment with ample power, but the trigger voltage might be a problem. I use mine with a slave - a bit bulky, but it works.
    Alive and still clicking - apologies to PSQ.
    Living and working in the Roaring Forties
    Assorted cameras of all sizes and shapes including Pentax K (the original), MX, Z1,K20D; 50mm 1.2, 35mm 2.0, 85mm 1.8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Romus,
    I have the ray flash, if you are in Brissie your welcom to borrow it for a test. (PM me)
    I've used it at a couple of weddings but thats about it.
    It does everything it says does to a point.
    I didn't notice too much of a drop in flash output (like it quotes)
    N.A.C.S! (not another canon shooter!)
    Gripped 5D m3, Gripped 5D m2, Eos M body, Go pro Black, 17-40L, 24-70L, 50mm f/1.8 , 100mm f/2.8 macro, 24-135mm EFs, 70-200 f/2.8L, 580 exII, 530 ex
    www.f13magazine.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When used with a Canon 580exII the external metering sensor and the AF-assist beam emitter of the flash unit pointing straight into the black plastic rear face of the Rayflash unit.

In a word the most useless piece of rubbish I've bought yet for a camera.