Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Starblitz 160A flash

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starblitz 160A flash

Good morning all,

I have a Pentax Kx (amongst other things including old Pentax SLRs) and have recently dug out the old Starblitz 160A that I have had since my Pentax Spotmatic F days. I wouldn't mind trying it out on the Kx but a section in the manual states that " external flashes with reversed polarity (the centre contact on the hot shoe is minus) cannot be used due to the risk of damaging the camera or flash". I seem to have no way of knowing if that is the case with this 160A- the various internet sites don't give this type of info, so I am stuck, not game to try it out with fear of doing damage. Any thoughts ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Rayner View Post
    Good morning all,

I have a Pentax Kx (amongst other things including old Pentax SLRs) and have recently dug out the old Starblitz 160A that I have had since my Pentax Spotmatic F days. I wouldn't mind trying it out on the Kx but a section in the manual states that " external flashes with reversed polarity (the centre contact on the hot shoe is minus) cannot be used due to the risk of damaging the camera or flash". I seem to have no way of knowing if that is the case with this 160A- the various internet sites don't give this type of info, so I am stuck, not game to try it out with fear of doing damage. Any thoughts ?
    Use a voltmeter , put the black lead on the outer 'earth' contact and the red lead on the centre pin .... if it shows a positive voltage it is 'normal' , is it shows a "-" before the voltage it displays it is reversed .