Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Overheating body

D750 Shines
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Overheating body

I was out yesterday and I was experimenting in using my B&W ND110 10 stopper (120sec exposure)with occasional live view and some 5 stop bracketing
    when all of a sudden the LCD screen at back of my D300 had a strange cracked appearance.Powered down did nothing as the camera appeared
    to be still on as before with that strange display at back.When I got back home after 30mins the camera and body was very very hot.
    Anyway after a long spell cooling down it has appeared that everything is as should be.

Has this type of incident happened to anyone else?

cheers
    Last edited by cupic; 01-11-2012 at 8:29pm.

Nikon D750,D500,Z6,Coolpix P7700
    Nikkor 300mm f/4E PF ED VR, Nikkor 16-35mm f/4 VR, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Tokina 100mm f/2.8, Tamron 60mm f/2 , Tamron SP 24-70mm f2.8 VC Di, Nikon Z 24-70mm f/4
    FTZ adapator
    Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi cupic,

I have heard of it happening but not sure where sorry.

It sounds like the processor / electronics overheated and with no fan as in PCs laptops etc there is little heat dispersion.

Check your manual or other forums, I know Canon manuals have a notice about live view, long exposures etc.

Cheers
    Starman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I heard or read somewhere that if you have live view on for too long the sensor heats up ( may have read it in my manual that came with my camera) It is not recommended to use live view for extended periods.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie girl View Post
    I think I heard or read somewhere that if you have live view on for too long the sensor heats up ( may have read it in my manual that came with my camera) It is not recommended to use live view for extended periods.
    I have used my D7000 in live view before for long periods of time without any real issues, spent 3 days in heat 30c+ for 5 hours per day.

D750 Shines
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The live view was only used for focusing and not much but it was a hot one so I
    will put this down as a reminder to watch/feel the heat

cheers

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used Lv mode for hours on a couple of occasions myself, and have never had overheating issues.
    My use of Lv mode was with tethered shooting, and the test was for both battery life and sensor heating up ... I reckon at least an hour's worth of mucking about and playing.

Even the battery had plenty of juice remaining after over an hour of almost constant Lv usage and the occasional short exposures.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    extremes of both hot and cold can affect camera performance. If it was hot day and the camera was in the sun, and then along with internal heat, it may have just become to much. Once the camera returns to operating temperatures then it should work fine. Many electronics not just cameras can suffer from this
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography