User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: What do you use for white backgrounds?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you use for white backgrounds?

interested in how others obtain pure white backgrounds for their product/other photographs. Am trying to photograph a bottlebrush against a white background.
    Cheers,
    Trish
    Canon 5D11 - various lenses, mostly primes.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    cardboard, white sheet etc. just make sure it is back a bit from the actual subject and use an appropriate aperture so that the background is a bit blurry as well, which makes it look like a plain white background rather than a sheet/piece of cardboard. You need to ensure it is smooth and wrinkle/crease free for best results
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Along the same lines, what about pure blacks? Cardboard and sheets will work nicely with white since white is fairly forgiving in exposure. With blacks though, a piece of cardboard can still be reflective of light depending on the material, whether card or fabric.
    Cheers,
    Dave

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try your local cabinet maker to see if you can find the white fronted board that they use at the rear of kitchen cupboards etc. It is about 3mm thick has a very smooth white surface and can be easily cut, glued or nailed. Hardware stores will sell it to you in a 2.4 x 1.2 metre sheet ( at a price ) but cabinet makers may have off cuts going cheap.
    You have probably seen it as a drawer liner or similar in inexpensive furniture.

Here is it being used as a background for a particularly shapely and stunning young model.
    With the right amount of light and good subject to background separation as Rick said, it will not need much PP to have it very evenly and brightly white.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have used white paper sheeting, flash, without flash and can process to white background however its the background between the fine stamens of the bottlebrush that are stubbornly refusing to become white instead of pale grey in the meantime my specimen is slowly dying and I will have to sneak down to the trees behind the beach with my secauters to cut another - ooops!
    Last edited by balwoges; 25-06-2009 at 3:51pm.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davesmith View Post
    Along the same lines, what about pure blacks? Cardboard and sheets will work nicely with white since white is fairly forgiving in exposure. With blacks though, a piece of cardboard can still be reflective of light depending on the material, whether card or fabric.
    I use black cardboard, material. If it needs a bit of work, I do some photoshopping with the burn tool to make it as black as possible

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just call me contrary - but I want an all white background I appreciate all your suggestions
    Mary

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, i didn't mean to bring black into it to distract from your original question. I was hoping there might be someone who'd pass on some knowledge of both. I figured if someone was adept at getting the whites right they'd have some idea of the blacks too.

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    paper mostly... i tend to shoot small things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ebay Link to White Background

I have the above, although they do get dirty quickly, and shrink in the wash

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser DAdeGroot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends what I'm shooting.
    For small things, I have a roll of drafting paper which works a treat.

For people, I have a 3m x 7m white photographic velvet backdrop
    Dave

http://www.degrootphotography.com.au/
    Canon EOS 1D MkIV | Canon EOS 5D MkII | Canon EOS 30D | Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM | Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM | Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L & some non-L lenses.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a couple of MDF boards from Bunnings and painted one side matte white and the other side matte black. Works a treat for me. The white sides also double up as reflectors when I do portraits.
    CAMERA: Nikon D800, Nikon D7000
    LENSES: AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Macro, Sigma 10 - 20mm F/4 - 5.6, Sigma 150 - 500mm F/5 - 6.3 APO DG OS, Nikkor 18 - 200mm F/3.5 - 5.6 VRII,
    Sigma 70 - 200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG OS, Tamron SP 24 - 70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD, Sigma 85mm F/1.4 EX DG, Nikkor AF-S 16-35mm F/4 ED VR, Nikkor AF-S 200-500 f/5..6E ED VR
    MY WEBSITES: www.nawimages.com, http://nelliewajzerphotography.smugmug.com/, http://NellieWajzerPhotography.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For white vinyl off the roll at spotlight, for black polar fleece works wonders.