Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whimberley, Jobu, Mongoose???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whimberley, Jobu, Mongoose???

I'm looking to purchase a heavy duty mount for my 300mm (and 500mm when I get it) I was wondering if anyone had experience with any of these heads.
    Also I was wondering if anyone could recommend a place/site to purchase one from. The camera stores in my area don't seem to stock them and I'm not familiar with any Aussie online stores. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My preference would be the Wimberley Head II. It is recommended for use with lenses from 300mm f2.8 up. This gimbal head makes it easier for you to manipulate these larger lenses because it places their centres of gravity below the mounting point. However, if you already own a very good ballhead mount and don't intend to go beyond a 500mm lens, you could buy the considerably cheaper Wimberley Sidekick.
    Try Cameras Direct at the Gold Coast.
    Last edited by Babu; 13-04-2010 at 12:00am.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the side kick on a 500 with a BH55 heavy duty ball head.

The wimberley gimball head wouldn't be my pic if you use a range of lenses, it really dedicated to the long glass and I think that a 300 only just makes it into that class, barely. Once you have the wimberley head on your not likely to be carrying the extra ball head if you change lenses. It also is difficult to use if your using an L bracket even if its "Arca" compliant - means you then nedd to remove the L bracket and fit a different type of camera shoe plate.

The side kick on the other hand can be easily remove and still leaves you the ball head with an Arca plate in place ready for your landscape use. To me its the best of both worlds.

Both systems require an Arca Swiss type plate and which ever way you go, get an after market leg for your lens that has an extended foot plate. This will allow you to slide the lens/camera assembly back or forward to get the correct balance.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use this http://photovideo.com.au/acratech-lo...ad-p-5963.html for both a 300 mm & 500 mm and all my general photography needs...... along with a leveling base

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pix View Post
    I use this http://photovideo.com.au/acratech-lo...ad-p-5963.html for both a 300 mm & 500 mm and all my general photography needs...... along with a leveling base
    Big Pix
    Each to their own, but this is not for me

Where you de-tension a wimberley, a side kick or any other gimbal style system, the lens if correctly balanced will fall into a neutral position generally about level. On your system the lens will fall either forward or backward and to get level you have to hold the lens, supporting the full weight and then tighten the support mechanism. This can be always a bit dificult as you need to be looking through the lens to aim it whilst tensioning.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ....... must admit that the system I use is for birding and I find the system for me very good. I would rather check my level horizons through the view finder than for a system to do this. Cameras and long lens are expensive and I would rather support my lens, if needed, whilst tensioning. The leveling base is a must have when doing landscapes. I also tighten all knobs while looking through the view finder, as one should, and have not had a problem. The strengh and lightness of the product, when you have got to travel any distance, is very light. I use the product as a gimbal head and a ball head all in one product.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would rather check my level horizons through the view finder than for a system to do this. Cameras and long lens are expensive and I would rather support my lens, if needed, whilst tensioning.
    I may not have written my post very well.

What I was trying to say was when I loosen the tension on the side kick the lens will just stay as it is when correctly balanced and with the wimberley the lens will return to an approximate horizontal position. You dont use this feature to find level, but with your arcatech like a ball head thats been loosened off the lens will flop around unless you provide support to it.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the quick replies. I will use the head on a dedicated tripod so being able to interchange lenses is not something I desire.

Wow $1000 I new they weren't cheap but......

Thanks for the link to Cameras Direct

I will continue to research and find the one I think will meet my needs.

Thanks!!

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkW View Post
    but with your arcatech like a ball head thats been loosened off the lens will flop around unless you provide support to it.
    ....... only if you loosen off "both" locking points...... if used in the correct way the lens will not flop around as you have pointed out.....

BTW have you ever used an arcatech head..... just wondering

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ....... only if you loosen off "both" locking points...... if used in the correct way the lens will not flop around as you have pointed out.....

BTW have you ever used an arcatech head..... just wondering
    I didnt mean to be over critial to your choice of gear maybe flopping wasnt a good choice.

No I haven't used Arcitech but if you loosen the up down screw whats to stop the lens moving down or up (depending on the balance point) other than the support of your hand?

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    \ if you loosen the up down screw whats to stop the lens moving down or up (depending on the balance point) other than the support of your hand?
    ...... as with any ball head

I am not here to defend my choice of equiptment that I use but to answer a question asked....... yet you seem to want to pick fault with something that you have not even used.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Wimberley is expensive but I wouldn't use anything else. As you saw at OCC the 600 mounts to the wimberley very easily and securely, and is very simple to use with just one finger. I'v seen a couple of cheaper ones, but I honestly think you get what you pay for.

If you want to get it a try before spending that much money, I can meet you at OCC one morning and you can try it out.
    Last edited by Allann; 13-04-2010 at 10:00pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Allann, I might have to take you up on that offer. I'm a little hesitant to drop $1000(ish) on something like this and not be happy with how it feels as manipulation of the beast is paramount.
    Thanks again!
    Chris.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm camping at Mt Tamborine this weekend, but anytime after that. The most important thing in getting something for a large lens is easy of use, and safety, both to the user, and the equipment. Ask yourself these two questions on anything you look at, "If I am in the middle of using it, and let go, what happens to the setup?" and "Can I use it comfortable for a few hours?" As you know a birding outing can usually last at least a couple of hours and you don't want to carry the full weight when shooting.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not being an owner of any of these lovely exotic products I just thought I would throw another name into the ring.

Hit the link and then go to "direct purchase instruction" and then to "Carbon Fibre U Head" at under USD$500.00 it doesn't look too bad as an alternative to the more expensive gear.

http://www.feisol.com/english/feisolen.htm
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This head is very nice but the cradle arms can get in the way of the lens switches depending on the balance point and found it quite annoying after an hours use. That head though is terrific for a smaller lens like the 400/2.8 on a monopod.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    Not being an owner of any of these lovely exotic products I just thought I would throw another name into the ring.

Hit the link and then go to "direct purchase instruction" and then to "Carbon Fibre U Head" at under USD$500.00 it doesn't look too bad as an alternative to the more expensive gear.

http://www.feisol.com/english/feisolen.htm

Thanks for that. Although photos often lie, it looks like the focus ring is a little obstructed by the U.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Wimberley II and love it. Not sure how I ever lived without it actually!! I use it for my 400mm f2.8 IS USM and my 200mm f2 IS USM with no problems at all.
    20D, 7D, 400 f2.8 IS USM, 200 f2 IS USM, 70-200 f2.8 IS USM, 2x Teleconverter, 18-55

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not here to defend my choice of equiptment that I use but to answer a question asked....... yet you seem to want to pick fault with something that you have not even used.....
    The point of this thread is somebody asking for experience with Wimberley, Jobu or Mongoose products for use with long glass - Arcatech wasn't actually mentioned. I have a wimberley side kick on a 500mm - this meets the context of the thread.

I'm not trying to pick at your gear but you chimed in and said that you use this even though it doesnt meet the context of the thread. If you don't want a suggestion critically examined then why post the details. Just because I haven't laid out the dollars to buy this product doesn't mean I can't critically assess how it will operate, FFS it a simple hinged head - it aint rocket science. I did give you the opportunity to tell me something about it which may not have been apparent - but now you state its no different to a ball head. Why get your pants in a knot.
    Last edited by MarkW; 14-04-2010 at 8:49am.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The point of this thread is somebody asking for experience with Wimberley, Jobu or Mongoose products for use with long glass - Arcatech wasn't actually mentioned. I have a wimberley side kick on a 500mm - this meets the context of the thread.

I'm not trying to pick at your gear but you chimed in and said that you use this even though it doesnt meet the context of the thread. If you don't want a suggestion critically examined then why post the details. Just because I haven't laid out the dollars to buy this product doesn't mean I can't critically assess how it will operate, FFS it a simple hinged head - it aint rocket science. I did give you the opportunity to tell me something about it which may not have been apparent - but now you state its no different to a ball head. Why get your pants in a knot.
    Didn't realise it was against the site rules to offer other alternatives. The attitude coming through in some of the posts here is not all that nice.
    Last edited by ricktas; 14-04-2010 at 9:18am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast