Actually for the Nikon system the ZF 85/1.4 is the gold standard lens for portraits, whereas the Nikon version is AF, and is the better Nikon branded lens(because some folks prefer to stick to the manufacturers specific lenses due to loyalites) but if you want the best 85mm portrait lens for Nikon you need to look at the ZF85mm.

Once a long time ago, I read a 'review' made by someone on DPR(in the forums), and they rated bokeh on a few 'portrait' lenses, and the one thing taht struck my interest was that the 105VR had the best bokeh. That was the most neutral looking of the lot, and that included the ZF85(not as good as the Nikkor, and the N85/1.4 as well as the 105/2DC.

The difference is in that you can blur more with the 85/1.4 due to the larger effective aperture covering the the same field of view(the ability to blur the background more covering the same FOV).

I read that user review on DPR before I purchased my 105VR lens, and that swayed me towards that 105VR over the 85/1.4. Even though the 105VR is more compromised as a portrait lens, it can do portraits in a pinch and come out with images that are up there with the best. It does produce more contrast, so on old wrinkly blemished skin you have to be careful, and ficusing on the eyes doesn't give you the shallow DOF that helps with softening skin naturally(as opposed to the stinky PS piggery method of plasticising the skin to please the current generation of photographers).
But then again the 105VR focuses a lot closer than the 85/1.4 so it's a little bit more versatile

And many pros seem to comment that the 200/2 is the best portrait lens that you can currently purchase in the Nikon lens lineup. Being a big heavy 200mm lens it looks to be one hell of a annoyance to use though, in portrait shoot environment.

Another portrait lens of note in the Nikon lens lineup is the 58/1.2.. but the prices being asked of this lens gets you three D3x's, two 200/2's... and a partridge in a pair tree!