So as the title says im currently looking into upgrading my kit lens. Read a lot of reviews and done a lot of research, so thought i would ask on here for some opinions also.

OK i have a Canon 450D with 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS and a 50mm 1.8. Im looking to upgrade the 18-55 IS to something better. Its the lens i use the most and atm im not happy with it tbh. I want something that is better image quality wise. I mainly enjoy landscape, automotive, long exposure and just general everyday photography. So need something that will handle those things better than my current lens, and as i use filters cant have a rotating front element. Budget can be streteched if necessary but dont wanna spend much more than $600 is possible. Buying second hand im ok with i suppose, unless im stupid thinking about grabbing someones seconds?

Main candidates im currently looking at are the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 (non VC) and the Canon 17-40L f4 (would have to be second hand). Any other suggestions? Have read into the Sigma 18-50 but most seem to think its not as good as the Tamron. And the Sigma 17-70 i have sorta ruled out as it doesnt have a permanent minimum aperture, its 2.8 - 4.5. And the Canon 17-85 seems to be not a lot better than the standard kits lens. The Canon 15-85 is too expensive new and have not seen one FS second hand. Plus again, not sure if its a difference over the prices of the other lenses i mentioned?

Tamron is cheaper even than the Canon even second hand. Neither have a form of image stabilisation but that doesnt concern me. Like the Tamron as its a quicker lens, but it doenst have FTM and have read its noisy. Like the Canon for its fantastic build quality and great IQ, but it is slower accross its shorter range and i cant afford it new.

Opinions on either of those i have suggested? Even if you haven't used either would love to know. Also anything else i should consider?

Any help would be fantastic

Cheers
Timmy