Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to find a good Monitor?

Ausphotography Regular wideangle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where to find a good Monitor?

Where does one start with getting a good quality monitor? I have been told that screens by NEC and Eizo are at the cutting edge of good screens for photo editing. Anyone out there own a good quality editing screen and give me some advice on where to look and what to look out for?
    please ask before PP my images

"Life is what happens to you while your busy making other plans"

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your running a Mac then use a Mac - too many stories off people trying to use fancy screens with Mac only to find that cards dont show colours or brightness like they should.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you are seeking a screen at the pinnacle of photo editing then the Eizo monitors for sure, but be prepared to decrease your bank account balance.

http://www.imagescience.com.au/categ...Eizo-Monitors/
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my recent reading of good screens vs bad screens(for photo editing this is) you want a model that is made from the S-IPS type of LCD, not the MVA or TN screen type.

Easy way to know if it;s most likely made from this S-IPS screen type is price! Higher is more likely to be an S-IPS type.

I've been looking at Dell's screen page and on some models they list the panel type. The cheapest S-IPS panel type is a 24" screen that cost approx $799. The cheaper 24" screens made from the TN panel type cost approx $300 or so!

(just went to Dell's site and found it again: It's the U2410 screen. it's twice the price of the cheaper 24" models.. but for a good reason! Read the Tech specs.

S-IPS has the wide gamut ability you're looking for, will come precalibrated by Dell(at least), and calibrates a lot better than the TN and MVA panel types.

Great info to know before you purchase a screen, but obviously not after.
    I recently received a hand-me-down HP screen(and for that I'm grateful).. but the info I've recently earned in trying to calibrate it is much more valuable. I now know what I want to get

hope this helps.

Oh! and there's a site that list a lot of models of LCD screens and what panel type they're made from. Can't remember it now and found it using Google.
    As they reckon the (good)Dell's are pretty good value for money.

I'm now thinking that their 27" Ultrasharp may be an even better value for money prospect(even at $1199!).

As for other screen models/brands I have no idea... information overload has turned me off for now.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eizo sell reco monitors on their web site. They will e-mail you a list of what they have for sale at discounted prices with warranty.
    Carmen

My Stuff:- Canon 50D l EF 28-80 f2.8-4L
    l EF 100-300 f4-5.6 l Canon 100mm f2.8 macro l Tokina 11-16 f2.8 l Pol. Filter l Flash l Grip l Remote l Tripod l Lightroom 2 l CS3

Constructive Critique of my photos always appreciated

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all your help everyone, Eizo seems the standard for screens these days. Some of their monitors seem reasonable in price. What surprises me is that we often spend a lot of time and research into cameras and gear, but when it comes to one of the most important things - a screen for viewing them on - this area is traded off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Where to find a good Monitor?

Eizo is s standard for screens, in the same way that rolls Royce is a standard for cars I guess, unless you are going to really get the return from using it I'm not sure it's a good thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ezio are the standard setters, if you can afford one
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reckon the Dell 2209WA 22-inch Flat Panel Monitor is more affordable unless you really need those extra 2".

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    I reckon the Dell 2209WA 22-inch Flat Panel Monitor is more affordable unless you really need those extra 2".
    This sounds good being an IPS panel and decent price. Do you have one yourself?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Screens

I've got an Eizo, had it for about a year, and it would have paid for itself 10 times over in time saved but not having to redo prints.
    HOWEVER---- it's still going to be only just another monitor unless you buy yourself a monitor calibrator as well.
    I use the i1 display2(pronounced eye-one), it's easy to use and does a good job.
    Not sure what your budget is like, but my 19" Eizo cost about $1000 a year ago, and the calibrator costs about $250.00 now.
    If your budget is limited, I'd suggest getting the calibration tool first, and then the Eizo when you can afford it, otherwise you really will be wasting your money, 'cause if your screen is off-colour, doesn't matter how good it is, it's still off-colour.

Just did an ebay search, found an i1 here if you're interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/X-Rite-Eye-On...item35a75c81a4
    Canon 50D, 24-105L, 85L f1.2, 10-22, 50 f1.8, 580EX11, 430ex11,

Serial Truant....
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been looking at Dell's screen page and on some models they list the panel type. The cheapest S-IPS panel type is a 24" screen that cost approx $799.
    Thomas, I have one of these, I can't say until I profile my printer how good it is, the colours don't look as good as my cheapie ASUS but I expect that the ASUS is unnaturally saturated.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    Thomas, I have one of these, I can't say until I profile my printer how good it is, the colours don't look as good as my cheapie ASUS but I expect that the ASUS is unnaturally saturated.
    If you do some research on IPS panels you will find that they are less saturated than their cheaper cousins.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I have noted elsewhere here, I have found that even supposedly good monitors like the Dell 2408 to be disappointing. Once calibrated with an EyeOne, my 2408 shows significant banding in the greys and blues and the colours in between. It is also impossible to get it looking natural - the reds are over the top no matter what I do - and it is very slow to warm up. Overall I would rate it as inferior to the older Dells, such as the 2007, which I found reasonably good, though still with some banding issues. I think the main problem is that consumer monitors are not meant to be run as dark as a photographer requires and once they are calibrated to 80 or 90cd/m they just don't run properly. I now have an Eizo CG241W and it is everything a monitor should be. Not cheap though...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thomas,

I have one of these (Dell 2209WA) and find it to be quite accurate when combined with Monitor & Printer profiling. I run a standard Spyder2 puck along with ColorEyes Display Pro software, it craps all over the standard Spyder software and can be customised to get the best results from your screen. This combined with a good Printer Profile for the paper type you are using give great results. Just remember that no print will look exactly the same as the screen for obvious reasons, but they are damn close.

Mick
    Fujifilm GA645Wi
    Canon PowerShot G10
    Canon 17-40 f/4L 70-200 f/4L
    Photoshop Lightroom 3.6 & CS4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mick,
    I have just received my 2209wa and am currently trying to comb the forums and web reviews to pick an appropriate calibration tool and software. So far the Spyder 3pro has my interest (partly because it seems easier to source locally). I was just interested in your opinions and experience with your monitor and callibration. Would you prefer a i1 Display2 to the spyder?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry if i am hijacking...

I am wondering if it is worth buying a calibrator before buying a better monitor. Currently i am doing mnimal editing on my lap top - TN panel (yes... i did just hear you all groan) and the bulk of my editing on my television (S-IPS) Needless to say it is a PITA.

What do you think? Should i bother buying a calibrator before buying a new monitor. Currently funds to not stretch to a new monitor, but come close to a calibrator....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan Ashworth View Post
    Sorry if i am hijacking...

I am wondering if it is worth buying a calibrator before buying a better monitor. Currently i am doing mnimal editing on my lap top - TN panel (yes... i did just hear you all groan) and the bulk of my editing on my television (S-IPS) Needless to say it is a PITA.

What do you think? Should i bother buying a calibrator before buying a new monitor. Currently funds to not stretch to a new monitor, but come close to a calibrator....
    A calibrator will make the world of difference, if you have the funds, get one! They are one of the most handiest tools you can have as a photographer! I have an older spyder 2, and calibrate roughly once a month, and the difference even this slight calibration makes before and after is huge!
    Cheers, Brad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lots of info here: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/

i ended up with a HP LP2475W and love it. a step down from the eizo stuff, but better than entry level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been looking at the Dell U2410. Will be getting a PC too so might get that and a Dell PC. But the HP LP2475W sounds pretty good too.
    Michael.

Camera: Canon EOS 400D w/ Battery Grip (BG-E3)
    Lenses: Sigma 10-20, Sigma 24-70, Canon 50 f/1.8 & Sigma 70-200
    Software: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 1.4 and Photoshop CS3
    Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrjorge/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast