User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: home printing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

home printing

Does anybody out there have any suggestions for a home printer. Ink jet or Laser? Brands? Would still seek professional for good prints. Just want something for family pics for the wifes scrapbooking hobby.
    Website - McGoo Photography
    Sean | Olympus E5 | Olympus e620 | Zuiko 7-14 | Zuiko 35-100 SHG | Zuiko 14-54 | Zuiko 70-300 | OM 50mm | Panagor macro converter | CPL filter | FL-50R flash |

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After owning two Epsons I now have a Canon iP4500 and swear by it. The latest model is the iP4700 and you should pick one up for less than $150. Maximum print size is A4.
    It has a separate tray for 6 X 4 paper and will also print on CDs/DVDs.
    Ray Allen.

Pentax K10D, DA 18-55, DA 50-200, Tamron Di LD Macro 70-300, Tamron SP Di II 10-24, Asahi Pentax Spotmatic SP, Asahi Pentax SP1000, assorted Super-Takumar & SMC screw-mount lenses. Manfrotto 190XPROB Tripod + 804RC2 Head, 680B Monopod + 234RC Head.
    Software used: PS CS3 Extended/CS5 Extended, ACR 6.3, Lightroom 3.3, NIK Software plug-ins, FastStone 4.2, ACDSee 10, SilverFast Ai.
    My Flickr Images | My Web Site | Owner of Yahoo! Spotmatic Group
    For 350+ blood/plasma donations to Red Cross

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've recently invested a (very) modest sum for a Canon iP4700 pixma printer with a continuous ink flow system attached. Using 270gsm glossy photo paper the results have been amazing.
    Surprisingly an A4 prints in around 40 seconds.
    The best part is the cartridges never need to be changed, the ink in the continuous flow bottles is equivalent to 12 sets of cartridges.
    I'd personally only buy an inkjet printer using this kind of ink system as the tiny cartridges would otherwise represent a constant ongoing hassle (changing them or refilling them constantly is not something I want to do).
    Fabz

Canon 7D
    Canon 17-55mm f2.8 IS, 55-250mm IS, 50mm f1.8II

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forget the laser - not worth a pinch of for photography.

What you need to do is ask your self questions about your photography and photo expectation to work out the printer types:

Do you need photos that will last for years on a wall or decades in an album or will you change them every couple of years. If you want long life images then you need the better quality printers using pigment type inks. Dye type inks start to fade after a short while on a wall - 1 - 2 years. There are claims by some aftermarket bulk supply inking systems about expected life being up around 10 years but these haven't been substatiated by independant testing.

Do you need to print in A3 or roll paper or is precut A4 sufficient?

How fine a print do you need - Dots per inch (real not software enhanced). This revolves around how big a print you need and how close you look at it.

Do you want to use single multi colour cartridges or do you want single ink cartridges and if so how many colours - more colour cartridges the better the reproduction but higher printer cost.

Do you want gloss enhanced photos, you will need a printer with a gloss cartridge.

How big is your budget for this printer?

Do you expect to get your replacement cartridges at K-Mart, Dick Smith, Big W etc. When looking at a printer check where you can get the cartridges and how much are they. High end printer cartridges usually can't be purchased at Dick Smith or K-Mart.

Don't listen to people who say "I have this printer it great" or words similar, to them it may be great but may not suit your purposes or expectations. Look at the manufacturers specs on their website.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    recently got canon 9500 pro mark 2 very happy with the results
    but as Mark said depends on your requirements
    Photoshop CS4 and lightroom 2 (lI know a little bit but am learning )
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated
    Feel free to re work my images, just please let me know what you did, and how you did it so I can learn
    Stu .
    my website
    my gallery

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the ip4600 canon and apart from the very slow start up times am very impressed with the results. I use aftermarket inks an generic papers and have had no problems apart from a 100pack of GBC everyday glossy paper 170GSM which moves offline in the last 10-20mm of the print, other everyday papers of the same weight do not give this problem.
    Keith

Canon 400D Gripped, Canon 7D LCD Timer Gripped, Canon 70-200 f2.8L is ii. Canon 2X iii Extender, Canon 50mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 18-250, Sigma 17-50 F2.8, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 90mm Macro, Yonguno YN460 & 460ii Speedlights and a Hanimax TZ 1 Flash, Wireless Triggers ,LED Macro Ringlight, Extension Tubes, 3 tripods, 2 monopods, PS Elements 5 & 10, PSP9 and canon s/ware, various filters and other photographic paraphernalia all packed in a computrecker backpack. NEW:- Panasonic GX8, 45-150, 14mm F2.5. PSE 2018.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkW View Post
    Forget the laser - not worth a pinch of for photography.

What you need to do is ask your self questions about your photography and photo expectation to work out the printer types:

Do you need photos that will last for years on a wall or decades in an album or will you change them every couple of years. If you want long life images then you need the better quality printers using pigment type inks. Dye type inks start to fade after a short while on a wall - 1 - 2 years. There are claims by some aftermarket bulk supply inking systems about expected life being up around 10 years but these haven't been substatiated by independant testing.

Do you need to print in A3 or roll paper or is precut A4 sufficient?

How fine a print do you need - Dots per inch (real not software enhanced). This revolves around how big a print you need and how close you look at it.

Do you want to use single multi colour cartridges or do you want single ink cartridges and if so how many colours - more colour cartridges the better the reproduction but higher printer cost.

Do you want gloss enhanced photos, you will need a printer with a gloss cartridge.

How big is your budget for this printer?

Do you expect to get your replacement cartridges at K-Mart, Dick Smith, Big W etc. When looking at a printer check where you can get the cartridges and how much are they. High end printer cartridges usually can't be purchased at Dick Smith or K-Mart.

Don't listen to people who say "I have this printer it great" or words similar, to them it may be great but may not suit your purposes or expectations. Look at the manufacturers specs on their website.
    Thanks Everybody
    You have certainly given me something to think about. Going to have to a lot of research and now have a couple of pointers. Ink? DPI? Size? Aging?
    Cheers Sean

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    make sure the printer you choose has at least 5 or 6 separate inks....... and are available at Office Works, HN, or a good on line supplier

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I buy my replacement cartridges from Cartridge Depot. I get brand new generic carts from them cheaper than a friend who works at Cartridge World and who gives me seniors' discount. The price is right and the quality is good. Order in excess of $60 worth and postage is free.