Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: To "L" and back - Ploddy's review of the Canon 24-105 L

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ravescar View Post
    So general concensius is it is THE best walk around len Canon makes?
    Depends on what you do.

I use a 24-70 f/2.8L and it's a good carry around lens. Others use the 28-300L and I looked at one and considered it too heavy for a walk around lens but others swear by it. It would be good if you want one lens when travelling.

I don't think there's such a thing as a universal lens, the 28-300 comes close (haha) but some people say it's too soft at one end or another and there are a lot of trade-offs.

On my 24-70, I find myself zooming to 50mm anyway, so sometimes I just take my 50mm if I don't have any real plans.

I read about some famous photographer who taught students to start with the 50mm and run back and forth.

The 24-105 is a pretty good compromise.

So, whatever floats your boat.

Daryl

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to revive a thread, but I was directed here from the other thread on lens.

Just wanted to say cheers Ploddy, great post

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't be sorry for reviving a good relevant thread.

I'll add my 2c worth, I love my 24-105, I find it to be very versatile and very sharp. It spends the most time on my camera by far! Highly recommend it.
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great review, I love that you actually shot real things outside for lens tests! I think its a cracking lens. Its too narrow on crop for me, but then I shoot very wide mostly.

Adam
    Using a 7d or a s95
    Advice and Edits welcome
    http://adamrose.wordpress.com/ [/CENTER]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any ideas how this lens (24-105 L) would perform as an all rounder for a Wedding shoot, Out side around a Pool , I'm just wondering if it will be wide enough, For most of the shots during the Ceremony , There is 6 in the Wedding Party, Would be good to here from someone that has used it in this Situation, BTW I'll be shooting with the 30D and 350D So I know about the crop factor
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks great review. Most everything I've heard about the 24-105 has been good. I'm not a professional photographer but enjoy great photos with great sharpness. I think this lens will be a winner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With all the new in camera editing is it still good advice to shoot raw and edit in the computer??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for taking time to write the review. I have my eyes on this lens but still can't decide whether I should get this or the 24-70...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by perla View Post
    Thanks for taking time to write the review. I have my eyes on this lens but still can't decide whether I should get this or the 24-70...
    I had to make this decision some time ago, and it depends to some extent on the kind of photography you do. If you do action photography in poor light (where the subject is moving, but you are relatively still/shooting on a tripod), the extra speed of the f/2.8 lens may be more useful than the IS of the f/4, particularly when shooting wide when both have reasonable depth of field wide open. However, if you anticipate that *you* will be moving while shooting, the IS of the f/4 lens may compensate for the extra speed of the f/2.8; and in addition you get extra focal length range and (I think) better optical performance over the 24-70mm.

If they correct the focal plane curvature in the f/2.8, and give it IS in the next version... then THAT might be a seriously good lens. However, in my particular case, I went with the 24-105mm and I don't regret it - it's a terrific lens. Here's one of my images taken at f/4 @ 105mm (i.e. at the limits of this lens) 1/125s with bounced speedlite; no editing/Photoshop, just a little exposure adjustment in Lightroom:

Last edited by ElectricImages; 21-12-2010 at 4:54pm.
    --=3 In Veritas Lux E=--
    Bodies: Canon EOS 5D Mk II, Canon EOS 550D
    Lenses: EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
    Strobist: 2 x Speedlite 580EXII, 4 x Yongnuo RF-603 Radio Tranceivers, Yongnuo ST-E2 IR Transmitter
    3 x Manfrotto Light Stands, 2 x Softboxes, 2 x Bounce Brollies
    Tripod: Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT, PH-50 Panhead

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that, if only because I bought one too and it's always nice to have someone else agree with your choices in life - especially lenses !!!!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, nice to see the ol' thread brought back to life again...

Many months on and I am still very happy with my purchase. I have it as my permanent attachment to my now 7D and am just loving its versatility. It is cramped when wide, but I swap lenses so much anyways it doesn't phase me too much. I just now need to replace my Siggy 17-70 with a dedicated wide, like the 10-22...
    Cheers,
    Chris.

MY

Canon EOS 7D w grip | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS USM | Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM | Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Canon 580EX II speedlight | Cokin ND Grad system

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got one of these the other day 2nd hand the other day, too good a deal to say "no" to, limited opportunities to use it, but impressive results so far.
    I have this silly idea, that I should actually go and take photos with all this photography gear I have already accumulated, before I collect any more!

See some of my photos here.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/David...5888662?ref=hl
    And my very randomly updated blog.
    http://davidarnold.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 24-105 rocks! I have the 24-70 f/2.8 and my goto lens is the 24-105 unless I am going to be doing something in low light. The 24-105 is lighter also which I am quite fond of. I purchased this as a result of a commercial photographer recommending it to me and glad I took the advice.

Spammer - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i love my 24-105 (on a 550d)

great all round lens and the quality of my pics have improved.... im my humble opinion anyway

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great review! I finally forked out for one of these last week and plan on throwing my 18-55 kit lens into the nearest river.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep , On My 30D , This lens (24-105 f4 L) Image quality is excellent , Blows me away compared to the Kit lenses , Mind you my Siggy 10-20 is pretty good also , Cant wait to use it on my next Cam , A Full frame
    Last edited by William; 06-02-2011 at 7:22pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been considering this lens for a long time now but with my 40D with crop factor I just cannot quite accept the narrow wide-angle end of it. Maybe when I eventually convince my better half that I need to upgrade to a full frame camera it will be more acceptable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great review and I am glad you enjoy this lens.
    I gave mine to hubby and slowly going back to prime lenses.
    My favourite lens is of course 70-200 F2.8L IS II model. Oh and the 24-70 F2.8L. Then of course the nifty fifty that everyone should have in their bag
    Sometimes I feel like a thief - capturing and holding life for that instant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been considering this lens for some time now and happened upon this thread..Great review and feedback..Think it will team up nicely with the 10-20 and 70-200 on my 50D..Just gotta get organised and sell a couple of my lenses to help finance my new purchase!
    flickr

C+C welcome and appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Weir View Post
    I just got the 24 - 105 and Im a little disappointed with the results for an L series lens. But then again maybe my expectations are a little high. My other L series is the 100mm macro and its an amazing lens.
    well Greg you are comparing a zoom lens to a PRIME lens, the latter will always win for sharpness and IQ - 95% of the time generally speaking.

the 24-105 is not one of the high end performing L lens either, but it does its job very well - which is providing a good usable zoom range combined with very good IS with decent IQ, was never intended for professional usage in terms of optical quality.

I use it a lot back then for my travel work and stories overseas. Would I use it for commercial shoots or weddings? Definitely not.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast