User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To Fx or dx?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, didn't realise there were any non-Nikon owners out there. One day they'll see the light.
    I'm quite certain there are no "idiots" on this forum at all and part of the excitement of belonging to AP is the learning curve. Gosh! I even use a lens cap now.
    In all seriousness most of us do get carried away with the language but that's the advantage of the "New to Photography" section. A sanctuary for beginners and if the terminology is not already there it would be a great opportunity to add it. At least we're not as bad as IT people.

OOPS! Now I'll have the mods onto me.
    Last edited by Redgum; 09-03-2010 at 6:32pm.
    Photojournalist | Filmmaker | Writer | National Geographic | Royal Geographic

D3x and other gear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "crop" can mean two different sizes for canon anyway, so that's not exactly being specific... in nikon speak, DX and FX and very clearly defined.

ps to the original poster... do not fear DX dying out. FX is not the only path on the nikon roadmap. enjoy good quality DX lenses because nikon will keep supporting DX for a long time yet. business logic dictates that DX will stick around.
    Thanks,
    Nam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redgum View Post
    Sorry, didn't realise there were any non-Nikon owners out there. One day they'll see the light.
    I'm quite certain there are no "idiots" on this forum at all and part of the excitement of belonging to AP is the learning curve. Gosh! I even use a lens cap now.
    In all seriousness most of us do get carried away with the language but that's the advantage of the "New to Photography" section. A sanctuary for beginners and if the terminology is not already there it would be a great opportunity to add it. At least we're not as bad as IT people.

OOPS! Now I'll have the mods onto me.
    just to clarify, the "idiots" were all non Nikon users for being stupid enough to buy the 2nd best camera system... (juuuust in case you havent realised i was being sarcastic)

i was just being the voice of the newbie to afarid to ask the stupid question... what the hell is FX and DX

its now out in the open... so there...

and yes Canon has the 1.3x APSH crop body and the 1.6x APSC crop body, just to confuse those poor little newbies even more.. with similar problems with newer lenses being made to be used only on crop body cameras...

(note i was also trying to lighten the very heavy mood of this thread..)

M
    www.pbase.com/mcphotographics loooots of pictures!
    hmmm Eq list... 1D II, 5D II, 7D, 100-400 LIS F4.5-5.6, 70-200 F2.8L, 135 F2, 85 F1.8, 24-70 F2.8L, 16-35 F2.8L, 420EX, 580EX II x2 ST-E2 Cir polar filters and much much more all in a neat back pack that kills my back!

Adobe CS5
    Week 16 Sheep Winner
    If you have a question about car / action / sports photography or Canon Cameras PM me...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha!! I'm sure no Nikon user took offence.
    At least half the learning curve would be the language and if you're a public servant you have a distinct advantage.
    I'm not sure, there may even be one here, but a glossary of photographic terms "stuck" would obviously be an advantage to all in sundry, even the experts who sometimes stumble with subtle changes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep abbreviation glossary would be good... i just heard BQ used to describe bokeh quality today!

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redgum View Post
    I'm not sure, there may even be one here, but a glossary of photographic terms "stuck" would obviously be an advantage to all in sundry, even the experts who sometimes stumble with subtle changes.
    Quote Originally Posted by N*A*M View Post
    yep abbreviation glossary would be good... i just heard BQ used to describe bokeh quality today!
    Photography dictionary can be found here.

Pleas feel free to add anything that you think relevant as a new post and someone will edit it into the existing thread
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some really good points made here by people, thanks for the input. Ill have to read it all a few times and apply a thinking cap. In the end $ will indeed dictate, so I need to go check out the marketing threads
    I dont know anything about the 24-70, I have to check it out. The 17-55 is very sharp IMO and it would need to be a good lens to better it.
    Togs are what my son wears to go swimming.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John, a side by side rating of them can be seen here, 17-55 --- 24-70

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm,
    "The 28-70/2.8 has long been recognised as among the best ever made by Nikon. I'm happy to report that the new 24-70 takes this quality even further. "
    Sounds like it might be ok.
    I have since i started this post used a d700 on a low light event I have done numerous times and was highly impressed with the quality in several areas. So yep. im sold. I probably have to get the lens as well. Havent worked out how to pay for that yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are sold but dont have the 'ready' just rent one.

I had the same situation a while ago; so I hired untill I really made up my mind, then bought the d300s.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After all the good tips i received here, I should point out I bought a d700 and the 24-70 a month ago. I planned to get it for a wedding and due to various complications only ended up getting it friday afternoon for a saturday event. Still its a nikon and didnt take much to get used to.
    Jeez its nice.
    Still have my d200, use it with the 70-200, feels clunky now though. One day ill buy 2 bodies the same. what a luxury.

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just remember you are dead a long time. And if you think it is exspensive take up fishing where a boat can cost $59.999 and up and up Oh I need a rod and reel too. The line to fill the reel was $300, Cheers Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's all relative, Brian. I was on this beach only weeks ago with a $3 reel and bait, hired a the boat for $15 and caught three fish. Airfare to the Philippines was $189 return from Brisbane and accommodation $7 per night. Superb! With the right mindset you can do great photography at exceptional prices. You don't need two cameras or a bag full of fancy lens.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12