Thread: Cactus V4's

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cactus V4's

I was hoping somebody could clear up some issues for me.

I just got 2 YN460's today, plugged them into the v4 receivers and away I went.

Only problem was, only one of them was firing consistently. The closest seem to be the one firing all the time, and the other wasn't firing at all. Turn off the one that is firing and the other one shoots constantly.

I've got both the flashes on M, and the channels are the same all through the receivers and sender.

Any ideas what the cause could be?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried the receivers with out the flash attached, is the little red light going on to indicate they are receiving a signal ??

Have both receivers got ne batteries ??
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes to batteries and red lights. I had them
    both working side by side consistently yesterday. But as soon as I moved them to compose a scene.

Was just mucking about. Flash behind a wine bottle at half power and a flash 45 degree front 1/4 power. The closest would work and the rear most wouldn't. After moving myself I got it to fire once or twice but it's terribly unreliable as opposed to the 1 unit.

I'll swap the flashes and receivers this arv. And check that the hotshoe is contacting correctly. But i cant think of what else it'd be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fresh batteries or the ones that came with them I had a similar prob till i swapped for new ones.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    fresh batteries or the ones that came with them I had a similar prob till i swapped for new ones.
    I also had to buy new batteries as I had a similar problem. Did you turn off the receivers when you had finished shooting with them previously? I quite often forget to turn them off or I accidently turn that tiny tiny switch on when I am packing them away - I know it's an obvious thing but you would be amazed at how many times you forget to turn them off after you have taken them off your flashes.
    CAMERA: Nikon D800, Nikon D7000
    LENSES: AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Macro, Sigma 10 - 20mm F/4 - 5.6, Sigma 150 - 500mm F/5 - 6.3 APO DG OS, Nikkor 18 - 200mm F/3.5 - 5.6 VRII,
    Sigma 70 - 200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG OS, Tamron SP 24 - 70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD, Sigma 85mm F/1.4 EX DG, Nikkor AF-S 16-35mm F/4 ED VR, Nikkor AF-S 200-500 f/5..6E ED VR
    MY WEBSITES: www.nawimages.com, http://nelliewajzerphotography.smugmug.com/, http://NellieWajzerPhotography.blogspot.com

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try using the receiver on one and use the other in auto detect mode.
    Keith.
    Keith

Canon 400D Gripped, Canon 7D LCD Timer Gripped, Canon 70-200 f2.8L is ii. Canon 2X iii Extender, Canon 50mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 18-250, Sigma 17-50 F2.8, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 90mm Macro, Yonguno YN460 & 460ii Speedlights and a Hanimax TZ 1 Flash, Wireless Triggers ,LED Macro Ringlight, Extension Tubes, 3 tripods, 2 monopods, PS Elements 5 & 10, PSP9 and canon s/ware, various filters and other photographic paraphernalia all packed in a computrecker backpack. NEW:- Panasonic GX8, 45-150, 14mm F2.5. PSE 2018.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got all three together side by side and sat there pressing the transmitter. 2 worked solidly but the 3rd rarely worked. I think it may have flat batteries so I'll swap the batteries with another before I email gadget infinity and get a replacement. They've got great customer service so I'm not worried as of yet.

Thanks for the input, definitely checking batteries now.

It's good to have the two working though, the third wasn't as important just yet and was only going to use it as background fill, I can put that in with post by merging some photos together. Thanks guys and girls.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And with a quick change of batteries, I've discovered it was indeed bat flatteries.

Time to order 6 rechargeables with another 4 eneloops.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you solved the problem Bax. I also had to change the battery in the transmitter only after a couple of sessions of shooting. Who knows how long they had been sitting in the shop before they were shipped out to me. I love using them so they were worth the little bit of hassle of buyimg new batteries straight off.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris, better off just using good old alkaline batteries in them

Packs of 24 at Bunnings for about $10.00

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point Mark,

I will buy another set of eneloops for the 580 and keep some standards for spares and get a handful of AAA's from bunnings tomorrow.

It's good to have them finally working though, sort out some gels and I'll be in business.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also found I'd have problems if the receivers were attached to the flash other-way-round, even though the connector point seems to be in the middle, or if the locking mechanism wasn't completely tight.
    Canon 50D, 24-105L, 85L f1.2, 10-22, 50 f1.8, 580EX11, 430ex11,