Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got $1500 to spend:::

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got $1500 to spend:::

I've got $1500 to spend on my first digital SLR. Want the best value i guess, rather than just the best camera. But that doesn't mean i want crap. Something that's a good starting camera, but that I wont 'grow out of' any time soon. Looking at Canon and Nikon - surprise surprise! Would like a couple of lenses - is this sensible?? Help me out here please

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser DAdeGroot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well at the moment, you can get either the Canon 50D + 18-135 IS lens or the Nikon D90 + 18-105 lens for about $1550.

Both are very good midrange cameras, decent size, and features, solid construction and a reasonable range kit lens. Both can be had cheaper with just an 18-55 lens, but I'd go the extra $50 for the added focal range.

Alternatively, you could go for an entry level body, and a couple of kit lenses for around the same price, but you're more likely to grow out of that quicker.

And a third option is to hunt around for a second hand body and new or second hand lenses. The Canon 40D & 50D can be had at significant savings second hand, and I dare say you could pick up a Nikon D200 or even a D300 within your budget if you hunt around.
    Dave

http://www.degrootphotography.com.au/
    Canon EOS 1D MkIV | Canon EOS 5D MkII | Canon EOS 30D | Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM | Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM | Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L & some non-L lenses.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's an entry level model?? Someone recommended the 550D - is that entry level? What's the difference???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muffins View Post
    What's an entry level model?? Someone recommended the 550D - is that entry level? What's the difference???
    Yes the 550D (and the 1000D) are entry level Canons.

The main difference is size and build quality. They're more plasticy than the x0D range, and physically smaller, which can be an issue if you have larger hands.
    The viewfinder tends to be smaller and darker than the x0D models and the frame rate on continuous is usually slower.
    They use SD rather than CF cards (this may or may not be an issue for you).
    For some reason, they're also generally noisier in picture quality (despite having the same sensor size).

Having said that though, they're a decent camera and could well do you for many years depending on where you go with your photography.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And have a look at what is available on the forum here in used bodies. There are a couple of 40Ds (no they are not mine) and often you can get a lot more bang for your buck. I have purchased all except my first body second hand - 300D - 20D - 30D to what I have now (see signature). Do not dismiss used out of hand if you want a bargain.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all these replies!!! I'm feeling that second hand might be the way to go? But do cameras have a certain life for how many photos they can take? I just see that on some of the used cameras, they mention how many photos have been taken in the life of the camera? And also, newer is not always better? So, a 40D from two years ago might be better than a brand new 550D?? All these numbers are starting to get confusing, haha.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muffins View Post
    Thanks for all these replies!!! I'm feeling that second hand might be the way to go? But do cameras have a certain life for how many photos they can take? I just see that on some of the used cameras, they mention how many photos have been taken in the life of the camera? And also, newer is not always better? So, a 40D from two years ago might be better than a brand new 550D?? All these numbers are starting to get confusing, haha.
    Better is such a subjective term.

Yes, all mechanical devices have a lifespan. In the case of cameras, the most likely thing to break is the shutter assembly. As such, they are rated by the manufacturers for a certain average number of shutter actuations. So for instance, a 550D might be rated for 50,000 clicks, whereas a 5DMkII might be rated for 150,000 clicks. (You can look these up, I haven't).

Thus people tend to want to know how many shots a camera has taken so they have some idea of how likely the shutter assembly will break is. Shutter assemblies are replaceable, but it helps to know if you'll need to spend up to $750 on a new assembly in the next 6 months, or whether it's likely to live on for the foreseeable future.

I'll also point out that the rating is a Mean Time Between Failure rating, which basically means it might break at any time, but that the average number of actuations that a shutter will last falls around the MTBF number. It might break earlier or last a lot longer - luck of the draw.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on where are you going to use it as well. I mainly do landscapes and seascapes I lost my 500 d to water damage on the shore freak wave I would not recomend the 550d if you are using it in harsh conditions. The 7d would be my choice very solid built check the thread 7d goes to antartica... I am very happy with it.
    Dwarak Calayampundi

Canon 5D Mark II, 7 D Lens Canon 24-105mm L Canon 16-35mm II L Canon 100mm Sigma 10-20mm Canon 50mm 1.8
    http://www.wix.com/dwarak/landscapes

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But do cameras have a certain life for how many photos they can take?

Yes, as David says, there is a finite life. It is a bit tied to the numbers, so see below.

I just see that on some of the used cameras, they mention how many photos have been taken in the life of the camera?

This is so buyers can make an informed decision.

Newer is not always better?

Again due to the numbers, see below.

So, a 40D from two years ago might be better than a brand new 550D??

In the way that it might have amore features that you want and a more robust build. It does all come down to individual wants and needs. Do try to go to a camera store and ask to handle the various models and shoot a few frames, that is the best way to get a feel for what will suit you.

The three series of numbers used by Canon (and all are good cameras):
    1. ###X (eg 500D) are the entry level ordinary consumer cameras. Lightweight, easy to use, basic features (but lots of them). Crop sensor

2. ##X (eg 40D, 50D) are the Prosumer cameras, for the advanced amateur photographers who want more features and a more robust build. Crop sensor

3. #X: (eg 5D, 7D, 1D series) These are the professional bodies with the top of the line (and therefore most expensive of course) being the 1D series. Weatherproofed, heavier, more robust build. More features. Bigger sensors up to full frame.

Sensor size is based on the old 35mm film format, cameras range from APS sensors (approx 1/2 that size) through various crop factors from 1.6 to 1.3, then to full frame. This crop factor affects the lenses you use.

For starting out, a crop factor camera is still a very good camera, so don't do your head in too much over it.

And yes, it is all awfully confusing and there is a heap to learn.
    Last edited by Analog6; 08-03-2010 at 7:12am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Got $1500 to spend:::

If you do decide to buy new, shop around and don't settle for the list price. Obviously spending more money gives you more power to haggle but you should ask for best pricing and ring a bunch of suppliers quoting what another store has offered you.

I started with a quote of around $5.5k for the stuff I'm buying this week from JB HiFi. An hour of ringing stores in the CBD is Sydney has seen that price drop to $4,450 for the exact same gear (and a better filter).

It pays to shop around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Darchangel (aka Pete)
    Please CC my images.

"Before judging a man, always walk a mile in his shoes. That way when you judge him you're a mile away, and you have his shoes"

Canon 7D, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-300 f/4.5-5.6, Visatech Solo monoblocks

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Analog6 View Post
    And have a look at what is available on the forum here in used bodies. There are a couple of 40Ds (no they are not mine) and often you can get a lot more bang for your buck. I have purchased all except my first body second hand - 300D - 20D - 30D to what I have now (see signature). Do not dismiss used out of hand if you want a bargain.
    Members with under 50 posts AND 30 days membership cannot trade gear on AP.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Sony A300 that is about a year old but they have come out with a nice range of cameras, have a look at the A500 and A550 as they are both around that budget.

Cheers
    When in trouble, or in doubt
    Run in circles, scream and shout

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Members with under 50 posts AND 30 days membership cannot trade gear on AP.
    We are allowed to buy on the classifieds aren't we? My understanding is that those under the quoted limits are not allowed to sell.

Ausphotography Regular wideangle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you go Canon, a Canon 50D with Kit EF-S 17-85mm IS can be bought for around $1500. This camera body is sturdy and has other benefits such as a bigger viewing prism etc. This lens is a good starting point and would be better in terms of IQ I would imagine that the standard 18-55 kit lens packs. Alternatively as this is your first SLR you may want to consider the entry level offerings. This way you save on initial camera body costs, and then you can play around with it and work out what you like shooting. From there you can purchase lenses that suit your needs. An entry level model such as the Canon 1000D is a good starting point and you can pick one up with a kit lens for as little as $600. This would leave you with around $900 from your $1500 and this could go towards quality lenses once you have decided what you like to shoot etc. Camera bodies come and go. You say "But that doesn't mean i want crap. Something that's a good starting camera" I would say that no DSLR on the market is not good, they all have their positives and limitations, you have to just decide for yourself as to what you need. Have you been to camera shops and tried holding some cameras and playing with their buttons, as this can help you decide what models you prefer over another.
    please ask before PP my images

"Life is what happens to you while your busy making other plans"

Serial Truant....
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatever you buy get the best you can afford. Personally, I'd be tempted to dig a little deeper and get a 7D, the 50D is a very nice camera but the 7D is a big leap above that. I've never heard anyone say "I wish I'd bought a cheaper model."

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    Whatever you buy get the best you can afford. Personally, I'd be tempted to dig a little deeper and get a 7D, the 50D is a very nice camera but the 7D is a big leap above that. I've never heard anyone say "I wish I'd bought a cheaper model."
    I guess you need to have the $$$ in the first place to afford it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Got $1500 to spend:::

From $1500 it's a pretty big step up to a 7D. For Aussie stock, your looking at ~$2.2k without a lens. Lens kit options start around the $2.8k mark - that's a fair bit deeper to poke around in a pocket. I agree that the 7D would be an awesome camera, but at double the price there's a fair bit more saving required.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also remember that the lens is the most important factor other than the skill of the user Maybe look at something like a Nikon D3000 or D5000 with a twin lens kit and then in the future see where your main interests develop and then buy a "good" lens to suit that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darchangel View Post
    From $1500 it's a pretty big step up to a 7D. For Aussie stock, your looking at ~$2.2k without a lens. Lens kit options start around the $2.8k mark - that's a fair bit deeper to poke around in a pocket. I agree that the 7D would be an awesome camera, but at double the price there's a fair bit more saving required.
    Muffins, I agree with Pete, if your budget is $1500 don't be talked into something nearly twice that price. There are some good examples in this thread within your limit that you will be more than happy with and take beautiful photos.
    Those mentioned by DAdeGroot are fine examples.
    Photojournalist | Filmmaker | Writer | National Geographic | Royal Geographic

D3x and other gear.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DAdeGroot View Post
    Well at the moment, you can get either the Canon 50D + 18-135 IS lens or the Nikon D90 + 18-105 lens for about $1550.

Both are very good midrange cameras, decent size, and features, solid construction and a reasonable range kit lens. Both can be had cheaper with just an 18-55 lens, but I'd go the extra $50 for the added focal range.

Alternatively, you could go for an entry level body, and a couple of kit lenses for around the same price, but you're more likely to grow out of that quicker.

And a third option is to hunt around for a second hand body and new or second hand lenses. The Canon 40D & 50D can be had at significant savings second hand, and I dare say you could pick up a Nikon D200 or even a D300 within your budget if you hunt around.
    Yep, this is pretty good advice, the 50D and 18-135 IS is an excellent start and the kit can be expanded as time goes on. As the late Bruce Bond used to say "hasten slowly", good luck.
    Richard
    I've been wrong before!! Happy to have constructive criticism though.Gear used Canon 50D, 7D & 5DMkII plus expensive things hanging off their fronts and of course a "nifty fifty".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast