User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: old lens new DSLR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

old lens new DSLR

Am I correct when I say that I can use lenses from an older film Olympus on my e620. If this is correct I believe that I have to get an adapter. My question where? and what? Any information would be great.
    Website - McGoo Photography
    Sean | Olympus E5 | Olympus e620 | Zuiko 7-14 | Zuiko 35-100 SHG | Zuiko 14-54 | Zuiko 70-300 | OM 50mm | Panagor macro converter | CPL filter | FL-50R flash |

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Olympus MF-1 OM Adaptor is what you are looking for. See here:- http://www.olympus.com.au/component/...ail/Itemid,69/ I took a look at Shopbot to see where you can get one:- http://www.shopbot.com.au/default.as...osition=search

Alternately, you can do as I did and get an el-cheapo lens adaptor from China. It only cost about Au$30.00 and the address on the case is http://www.lida8.com It works fine on my Olympus E-3 and some legacy OM mount lenses.
    Cheers

Larry
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Canon EOS 6D | EF 24-70mm 1:2.8 L II USM | EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM | EF 100-400 1:4.5-5.6 L IS | Speedlight 600EX-RT
    Olympus OM-D E-M1 | Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mk II | Olympus M.Zuiko DIGITAL 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO | Olympus M.Zuiko DIGITAL 12-100mm f/4 IS PRO | Olympus M.Zuiko DIGITAL 7-14mm f/2.8 PRO | Panasonic LUMIX G Leica DG Vario-Elmar 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH | Misc 4/3 lenses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I did the same and got a cheapo knockoff on ebay. Works fine.
    Don't really use it much though so don't know how long they last compared to the official ones, but $200 is a bit steep for a legacy adaptor IMO!!
    Olympus E-620
    ZD 12-60 SWD f/2.8-4.0, ZD 70-300 f/4.0-5.6
    ZD 14-40mm f/3.5-5.6 (kit), ZD 42-150mm f/4-5.6 (kit), ZD 35mm f/3.5 Macro
    Cokin filter holder and ND grads, CPL filters, Velbon 600R Tripod

My pictures on Flickr
    I'm here to learn so feel free to rework my photos if you think improvements can be made!

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The OM lenses are quite compact and most give reasonably good image quailty. If you just want to play around, then one of the cheap adapters of eBay will do you fine. I cannot figure out why the official Olympus adapter is so expensive, it doesn't support any particular functionality other than hold the lens in place. You can also get adapters for a range of other brand lenses too, e.g. Canon FL/FD, Minolta, Nikon F etc.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ordered a cheapy off ebay just to try, figure the $30 expense is worth the risk. Everybody seems to be of the opinion that it does not matter to much. Like you say it only holds the lens on. If the old lenses dont work then not to much lost.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

adapters

sorry I haven't been here for a while. It is worth looking at the "chipped" adapters as they do offer a sort of autofocus. It is also better to stick to prime lenses as the older zooms do vary f stops across the zoom making manual focus a bit tricky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is worth looking at the "chipped" adapters as they do offer a sort of autofocus. It is also better to stick to prime lenses as the older zooms do vary f stops across the zoom making manual focus a bit tricky
    I got my chipped adapter this week from ebay
    AF Confirm OM lens to Olympus 4/3 adapter e400 e500
    Item# 120544941377 £20.50 GBP
    It is set for 50mm f2.8 & works great. Set it at f11 & focus without seeing too much & "hey presto" it beeps when in focus.
    There is a Dandelion brand that allows you to program changes, but I haven't tried it with this yet to see if is the same chip.
    The normal cheap adapters are just fine, just look for the best price from the highest rated seller & recheck if they sell it in a different currency on different ebay sites at with or without postage costs. Sometimes you can get an extra good price.

Ross
    Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 12 (& Olympus Workspace).