Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Night Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    F12 will be far too slow - please try for f/5 and smaller fnumber

ISO of at least 400 depending on the camera .

Example:

Picture taken (hand held) @ iso 1250, 1/8 sec 15mm f5.0 on a Canon 5D

I think you are talking about taking a photo at night, not 'night photography' as such.
    Cheers, Keith
    Sony A300, Tamron 70-200 2.8, Kenko 2x Teleconverter, Tamron 17-50 2.8, Sony 50 1.4, Strobes - Sony F42AM x 2, radio triggers, plus some studio gear.

www.keithsmithphotography.com.au | flickr

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well I'm afraid I fall into the "non photo" posting category and although I have long holidays I still log in when I can, I value the information highly from here but as yet I have not placed a piccy, the night shooting info given from here is readily "soaked up" and really appreciated by me and I will be trying many of these tips, I fall into the "maybe someday" my picture will be good enough for me to place in here, so far I am just a beginner

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    well I'm afraid I fall into the "non photo" posting category and although I have long holidays I still log in when I can, I value the information highly from here but as yet I have not placed a piccy, the night shooting info given from here is readily "soaked up" and really appreciated by me and I will be trying many of these tips, I fall into the "maybe someday" my picture will be good enough for me to place in here, so far I am just a beginner
    See that is where you are going wrong. If you post your photos for critique, you will learn a lot more and improve faster, than just looking at what others do. Members are active at giving advise and guidance.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to everyone who posted advice in this thread - I have only just seen it so the photos I took this weekend break all the rules, but I am taking it onboard and hoping to have another attempt and see if I can do better (and promise to post something). My only problem is I don't have a tripod (and not able to buy one just yet) but realise I should at least find a surface to rest the camera on something to avoid holding it. Thanks again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im a noob reading all this too. Interested in the night photography too and how to take good shots. No pics to post sorry till i get my camera! Soon..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks

I just recently got a DSLR and I must say this forum has been very helpful. Can't wait to head out to the city to take some night shots of the bridge and opera house.

Will upload some for critique sometime after this weekend hopefully.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK - I will share my first attempt at Night Photography - only boring old fireworks but they were great to practice with! I used a tripod and cable release, manual focus and bulb setting and guesswork for exposure times

** Photos removed : This is the NTP forum, which is not for critique. Please post your photos into the Members Photos forums, where you will get critique and reviews of them..thanks : Admin **

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I thought I would add some more here as it was recently brought up in another thread in relation to me removing the OP's account from the site.

Whilst it would seem from my post above (post #14) that I just acted. I had in fact conversed with the member via PM several times about their interaction on the site, before making the decision to remove the account. Each time they advised me they would come back and reply to threads they had started, but each time they failed to do that. I asked them finally to come back and thank the members for this thread and the replies, again they said they would, but a week later hadn't done so. It was at that point I removed their account.

I may be 'old fashioned' but if members are willing to give out great information freely, then it is polite to at the very least acknowledge that in some way. Even a simple click of the thanks button!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This information has helped me! I hope to put it to use next weekend.

I have played around with my camera before and taken some night shots, I have some of my bf firedancing and some of my daughter with a sparkler.... they turned out ok to my eye but I'm sure there is plenty wrong with them! lol

So, I will practice with this new info that you have all given so generously to the O.P and hopefully next week I will have something to show you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the OP may have missed out due to their inactivity and lack of manners, but we definitely didn't
    I'm planning to head to Melb/Bendigo for the weekend and was planning on having a go at night photography. Was going to do Melb city, but the partner changed accom for car hire so will try in Bendigo instead. So this topic has helped greatly

You do have to post pictures to learn. Even learning to process them is hard work for beginners so how else are you going to learn if you don't show examples and get advice?
    Canon EOS 350D; 18-55mm kit lens; 75-300mm kit lens; Tamron 17-50mm; SLIK Sprint Pro II tripod, B+W CPL filter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very helpful thread this so thanks to all. I took some 30 sec exposures of the night sky the other night and got nothing but black ( the sky was Pitch black ) so obviously i was making some fundamental mistakes.
    The link from furious is jolly good too, thanks for that
    My Goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12