User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: Night Photography

  1. #1
    princessleia
    Guest

    Night Photography

    HI ,
    I'll be doing some night photography and would like to know which is the best settings when taking photos at night?

    also, I am so much interested in buying a wide angle lenses but is still clueless which is best. can you please advise.
    thanks.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    12 Feb 2008
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    7,837
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What sort of night photography ?
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Website : http://www.peakactionimages.com
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

  3. #3
    princessleia
    Guest
    wanted to take photos of the harbour bridge, the rocks and opera house..

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    12 Feb 2008
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    7,837
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, well, you could possibly use any lens, but a UWA is probably mostly appropriate (10-24mm type range) - there are plenty, and mostly they are all good

    You will need a good tripod

    You will need an apperture of maybe F/12

    You wil need a shutter speed anywhere between 1/10s and 1/30s

    ISO put on your minium native setting, ISO100 Canon or 200 Nikon usually

    It's best to get some ambient light in the sky rather than pure black, so, that "blue hour" is the thing to aim for

    Basic instructions, but, I hope helpful

  5. #5
    Member Jeremy's Avatar
    Join Date
    02 Feb 2010
    Location
    Cockatoo Valley
    Posts
    97
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    OK, well, you could possibly use any lens, but a UWA is probably mostly appropriate (10-24mm type range) - there are plenty, and mostly they are all good

    You will need a good tripod

    You will need an apperture of maybe F/12

    You wil need a shutter speed anywhere between 1/10s and 1/30s

    ISO put on your minium native setting, ISO100 Canon or 200 Nikon usually

    It's best to get some ambient light in the sky rather than pure black, so, that "blue hour" is the thing to aim for

    Basic instructions, but, I hope helpful


    F12 will be far too slow - please try for f/5 and smaller fnumber

    ISO of at least 400 depending on the camera .

    Example:

    Picture taken (hand held) @ iso 1250, 1/8 sec 15mm f5.0 on a Canon 5D

  6. #6
    Member Jeremy's Avatar
    Join Date
    02 Feb 2010
    Location
    Cockatoo Valley
    Posts
    97
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Example Picture

    Here it is:
    Attached Images Attached Images

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    12 Feb 2008
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    7,837
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll stand by my original recommendations

    There's not nearly enough ambient light, nice shot considering handheld tho

    And you should shoot tripod at night

  8. #8
    Administrator ricktas's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Jun 2007
    Location
    Hobart
    Posts
    15,137
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    princessleia, I would like to offer a suggestion. You have been a member for over 12 months, have asked several questions, but we are yet to see a single one of your photos. How about joining in and posting to the members photo forums with some of your work, you will then learn a lot more from the feedback, than you are getting from the occasional post in the New To Photography forum. Your posts are spaced around 3 months apart, so I assume you only really post to get your access back once you go 'inactive'. So how about it? Join in, post some of your photos and become more active and you will learn more.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

    Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

    RICK
    My Photography

  9. #9
    Ausphotography Regular
    Join Date
    01 Apr 2008
    Location
    Launceston Tasmania
    Posts
    1,168
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    F12 will be far too slow - please try for f/5 and smaller fnumber

    ISO of at least 400 depending on the camera .

    Example:

    Picture taken (hand held) @ iso 1250, 1/8 sec 15mm f5.0 on a Canon 5D
    It is very hard to take good, clean and sharp photos of a night time unless you are using a tripod.

    The settings you have suggested above would be ok if being used hand-held but who takes night photos like that?

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    12 Feb 2008
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    7,837
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    princessleia, I would like to offer a suggestion. You have been a member for over 12 months, have asked several questions, but we are yet to see a single one of your photos. How about joining in and posting to the members photo forums with some of your work, you will then learn a lot more from the feedback, than you are getting from the occasional post in the New To Photography forum. Your posts are spaced around 3 months apart, so I assume you only really post to get your access back once you go 'inactive'. So how about it? Join in, post some of your photos and become more active and you will learn more.
    True, last time a year ago you asked about sunrise photos, got some lovely advice, and then didnt show anything ?

    Pretty darn rude I reckon

  11. #11
    Member hackcessor's Avatar
    Join Date
    23 Sep 2009
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    142
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am going to agree with Kiwi on this one.

    ISO400?
    f5?

    You need f8 or lower (i.e f8 - f22), a good steady tripod.

    Expose for the highlights and use a longer shutter speed.
    Canon 50D, Assortment of lenses that I will list here sometime soon.
    CS3 Ext, Manfrotto 055XPROB w/ 322RC2 & 486RC2 Ball Heads, BG-E2N Grip, 380EX Strobe and a willingness to learn.

    My Flickr
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/hackcessor/

  12. #12
    Member Jeremy's Avatar
    Join Date
    02 Feb 2010
    Location
    Cockatoo Valley
    Posts
    97
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pgbphotographytas View Post
    It is very hard to take good, clean and sharp photos of a night time unless you are using a tripod.

    The settings you have suggested above would be ok if being used hand-held but who takes night photos like that?
    Yes, Very, very true.

    Re: who takes night photos like that?

    Answer: I do.

    If one spends a few hours photographing I like to have a plan so:

    For the current city photo shoot I made a trip to plan the nights photos and locations so all pics were taken by hand to gauge framing whether or not to use a flash, exposure settings and the type of lenses to carry around.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    25 Aug 2007
    Location
    **Suburb/Town Required**
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For night photos I like to use f22 (could be less) and a shutter speed to expose the image appropriately. As for ISO about 100-400.

    Also a tripod and remote shutter release is mandatory.

    :edit: Here is an article by Brian Peterson about exposure. > http://photo.net/learn/basic-photo-t...rect-exposure/

  14. #14
    Administrator ricktas's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Jun 2007
    Location
    Hobart
    Posts
    15,137
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I notice the original poster once again has not been back to comment or thank members for their feedback. Each post by them has been the same, and they only post about once every three months to regain access to the site when their account goes inactive.

    Therefore I am banning the member from the site as they are not interacting with members in acting in good faith for the very reason AP exists.

  15. #15
    Member hackcessor's Avatar
    Join Date
    23 Sep 2009
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    142
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice one Rick

  16. #16
    Member James T's Avatar
    Join Date
    14 Jan 2010
    Location
    St Kilda
    Posts
    377
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thread's probably a bit dead now. But, don't use f/22, don't even go close to it unless you need to for crazy depth of field. You're just softening the image for no gain if you do.

  17. #17
    Member hackcessor's Avatar
    Join Date
    23 Sep 2009
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    142
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with James T f22 is massive overkill

    Night landscape type shots should be within the f8-11 range.

    Let's face it, if you are mounted on a tripod with a remote cable release, who cares if your exposure is 5 secs or 5 minutes to get the desired effect.

    This thread may be dead, but it is still good general knowledge.

  18. #18
    Member 0Z320's Avatar
    Join Date
    13 Feb 2010
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    66
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hackcessor View Post
    I agree with James T f22 is massive overkill

    Night landscape type shots should be within the f8-11 range.

    Let's face it, if you are mounted on a tripod with a remote cable release, who cares if your exposure is 5 secs or 5 minutes to get the desired effect.

    This thread may be dead, but it is still good general knowledge.
    Thanks for all the advice guys.
    This will save me experimenting with all the f values when I attempt night shots for the first time ever this weekend.

    Do you have any other important tips I need to remember that might trip up the noobs?

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    28 Apr 2008
    Location
    Bathurst
    Posts
    818
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 0Z320 View Post
    Thanks for all the advice guys.
    This will save me experimenting with all the f values when I attempt night shots for the first time ever this weekend.

    Do you have any other important tips I need to remember that might trip up the noobs?
    If your not using a remote, use the inbuilt timer in your camera (2secs). This means you wont have anycamera shake from pressing down the shutter button
    Cheers, Brad




  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    05 Jun 2010
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    120
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, your imput has helped me if not the original poster

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •