User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: What CF Card for 7D Video Shooting?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ausphotography Regular wideangle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What CF Card for 7D Video Shooting?

At the moment I am using Sandisk CF Ultra II Cards for shooting. When it comes to shooting the highest quality video on the Canon 7D, will this speed card be able to buffer quick enough, or should I look at faster cards? UDMA 60MB sec or would the Ultra 3 cards do the job, or the Ultra 2 cards?
    Last edited by wideangle; 03-03-2010 at 1:27pm.
    please ask before PP my images

"Life is what happens to you while your busy making other plans"

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wideangle View Post
    At the moment I am using Sandisk CF Ultra II Cards for shooting. When it comes to shooting the highest quality video on the Canon 7D, will this speed card be able to buffer quick enough, or should I look at faster cards? UDMA 60MB sec or would the Ultra 3 cards do the job, or the Ultra 2 cards?
    Ended up just going a 8GB 60mb.sec card. Maybe overkill, but better to have more speed and space than not enough eh?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Minimum requirement is 8 MB/sec page 149 of the manual
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkChap View Post
    Minimum requirement is 8 MB/sec page 149 of the manual
    OK, thanks so the Ultra 2 15mb sound like they would do the job well anyhow.
    cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you've got a 7D then Thomas?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's ordered it...and is now in that twitchy uncomfortable time pacing around the house waiting for it to arrive!
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by etherial View Post
    He's ordered it...and is now in that twitchy uncomfortable time pacing around the house waiting for it to arrive!
    Aha....I know that feeling well lol.
    Cheers, Lani.
    Bodies: Nikon D700, D300 Primes: Nikon 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4G, 105mm VR 2.8, 300mm f4. Zooms: Nikon 14-24 2.8, 24-70 2.8, 70-200VR II 2.8, Sigma 10-20mm Processing: Photoshop CS5 extended, LR 3.2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont know how you survive with a Ultra II on a 7D even just for still photos. Ultra II are extreeeeemely slow, and I discovered that taking just 6 megapixel images on a 30D. You may not notice it if you have never used anything faster. Get yourself even an extreme III, or go bonkers and get an EXtreme IV or Pro, and you will never touch an Ultra II again.

For video I wouldnt recommend anything less than a 16gig card. They can fill up quick if your serious about your video.
    Brodie Butler (Perth, WA)
    Photographer / Filmmaker / Retoucher
    Canon & Elinchrom user

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never had a problem with CF 2 cards, but then again that has been the fastest I've had. Trouble is with a new 60mb/sec card I reckon I will know the cf2 cards will seem very slow!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wideangle View Post
    Never had a problem with CF 2 cards, but then again that has been the fastest I've had. Trouble is with a new 60mb/sec card I reckon I will know the cf2 cards will seem very slow!!
    Yeah thats exactly right. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Ultra II cards. I am a big fan of Sandisk cards. But once you buy one of the faster cards you will be kicking yourself wondering why you didnt get one sooner.

As a quick example, on a 30D with 6MP RAW images, when you scroll through them on the cameras display it can be quite slow and you have to wait for each one to load. On a newer Extreme III car, those images will fly past on the display just about as quick as you can scroll your finger.

So think about the difference it would make to your sports shooting if your firing away on high burst mode. Your going to be able to capture much more action! Just two examples.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
    I dont know how you survive with a Ultra II on a 7D even just for still photos. Ultra II are extreeeeemely slow, and I discovered that taking just 6 megapixel images on a 30D. You may not notice it if you have never used anything faster. Get yourself even an extreme III, or go bonkers and get an EXtreme IV or Pro, and you will never touch an Ultra II again.

For video I wouldnt recommend anything less than a 16gig card. They can fill up quick if your serious about your video.
    Yes, the Ultra II is a bit slow, the Extreme III is what I use, the 16Gb is about $150-00
    Richard
    I've been wrong before!! Happy to have constructive criticism though.Gear used Canon 50D, 7D & 5DMkII plus expensive things hanging off their fronts and of course a "nifty fifty".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thomas - where did you order your 7D from? I've finally decided (even though the 550D slowed me down a little) that the 7D will be for me. It would be good to understand how you made your supplier choice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 7D and 16GB Sandisk Ultra Pro turned up the other day and I'm just a bit scared to touch it.
    Big jump from the 2350D with Extreme IV 4gb cards.
    Peter.

Some of my photo's are at www.peterking.id.au

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: What CF Card for 7D Video Shooting?

Actually, $150 is a bit pricey. CheapAsChips has 16GB Extreme (60mb/s) for $140 from memory, and pretty sure they are the replacement for the Extreme3's (they've dropped the roman numerals now).

NGP has also just listed these in the classified sub-forum for $135.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Darchangel (aka Pete)
    Please CC my images.

"Before judging a man, always walk a mile in his shoes. That way when you judge him you're a mile away, and you have his shoes"

Canon 7D, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-300 f/4.5-5.6, Visatech Solo monoblocks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi guys - speaking of memory cards I have found some prices as part of my research for the 7D. DD electronics has the 16GB 60MB/s cards for $100: http://www.d-d-electronics.com.sg/pr...%7B47%7Ds.html