User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: TTL vs TTL BL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TTL vs TTL BL

I found this quite interesting, http://neilvn.com/tangents/2010/02/2...-bl/#more-2431, be interested to see if others agree with Neil's interpretation, and what mode you use.
    His idea of just using TTL BL and adjusting FEC does seem more simple than swapping between modes.
    Cheers, Lani.
    Bodies: Nikon D700, D300 Primes: Nikon 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4G, 105mm VR 2.8, 300mm f4. Zooms: Nikon 14-24 2.8, 24-70 2.8, 70-200VR II 2.8, Sigma 10-20mm Processing: Photoshop CS5 extended, LR 3.2.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lani ( + anyone interested ) some quite worthwhile demonstrations can also be found on Desmond's blog, I have followed a lot of his work and even though his methods are not exactly scientific ( he is a New Zealander ) most of what he has to say or demonstrate works when put into practical application.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: TTL vs TTL BL

I only use ttl-bl

Good ole Desmond from raglan

Seen his latest thread Andrew on Joe mcnally on the cafe ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    on the cafe ?

If you are referring to that site that has mandatory membership requirements of being self opinionated and from a country a bit larger than Australia where they drive on the wrong side of the road, nope, never visited it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks lani...interesting stuff....all of which I would like to learn about. I`m pretty green with flash and must learn more.
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    Lani ( + anyone interested ) some quite worthwhile demonstrations can also be found on Desmond's blog, I have followed a lot of his work and even though his methods are not exactly scientific ( he is a New Zealander ) most of what he has to say or demonstrate works when put into practical application.
    Actually I'm a South African ! That explains it even more I've been living in New Zealand for 8 years now though so my 'normal ' accent is being corrupted

Here's the blog on professional blunders .

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Desmond...thanks for the link....an interesting read.
    Just when I think I have got it sorted out....well....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    Hi Desmond...thanks for the link....an interesting read.
    Just when I think I have got it sorted out....well....
    Neil has a reasonable understanding of TTL/BL - but not complete .
    TTL/BL and E-TTL are almost the same thing and of course I did a blog on that was well .
    TTL/BL is the 'program mode of flash' and more accurate than TTL in most cases .
    With direct flash [ another blog ] it has a great advantage with the distance info it reads from the lens and the fact that it uses the matrix metering pattern to 'map out' its subject rather than relying on a centre weighted reading like TTL uses .
    One of the most important differences with TTL/BL is that it adjusts the output depending on what the exposure meter is reading and backs off to the equivalent of TTL-1.7 [ in equal metering conditions ] when the ambient is correctly exposed .

Either way , neither system is perfect so use what works for you along with compensation .
    The main thing is to understand why you choose a particular mode .