User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  5
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is That Image Worth Your Life?

avian
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Axford View Post
    I think you need to learn about the environment you go into so that you can do it with your eyes open to the potential risks. Sometimes I do go into risky places for a photograph, but sometimes I dare to cross a road to, or drive in a car too. A very good friend of mine, who is now dead, once said that life is what you do with it, not how long you spend in it. I'll certainly do my best to survive as long as I can, but not at the expense of living.

That is the best philosophy I reckon. As long as one is capable of taking responsibilty for their action no matter what. Life must move at a pcae that is comfortabe. It's just everyone has their level of 'comfort'. I think the road crossing or driving are far more dangerous, however, just don't push the boundaries.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for this thread, it has raised a number of good points and I will keep these in mind when I am out and about shooting....

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry its so long.

Hi all I found this thread very interesting and for what its worth, I might add to it, in the hope that someone might benefit.
    In addition to industrial and natural hazards well mentioned prior, my exposure- sorry, has been to photograph social and environmental subjects in developing countries, and although the playing field is different to here in good old Australia, we all take a camera when we travel overseas.
    When photographing in a foreign country try to get a feel for the mood around you before taking your camera out or holding it up to view, look about for any government building, utilities or military premise, even some soldiers leaning against a jeep can lead to tears if the mood is not good.
    The photography of strategic infrastructure is also often out of bounds in most countries, and its best to ask a uniformed official nearby before shooting the rail station in Cairo or a guard post at border crossing at Vic Falls.(or the Sydney Harbour Bridge).
    In rural villages like those in Africa, many old people will become distressed if they believe their image has been taken, and at least will turn away, no good shots will come of it, the damage has by then already been done, it is usually seen as just rude rather than the worn out old “stealing of the sole” myth.
    Many Muslim societies are offended when infidels take photographs of children even in a public place, so a long lens and discretion are required in those situations.
    Drunks, Soldiers , Police and thieves will often confront the photographer and protest that an offence has been committed by your photography, on many occasions I have born the brunt to the point of arrest, threats of violence, equipment confiscation and worse, usually though, when neither side shows signs of submission, the subject of money arises, then the balance of power shifts to the patient photographer, who can insist the “fine” will only be paid at the police station, or to the commanding military officer.
    In most cases the whole interaction ends soon after, under no circumstances should you hand money to any one who claims to be the local authority unless it is in a formal circumstance, and never be intimidated into deleting or pulling film from your camera.
    If you really do end up being charged, even wrongfully, you must engage all your manners and heart felt apologies!!
    If the subject is people I try to first position myself discretely and try to blend in with the environment, I often don’t take out the camera for some time, to get a feel of what’s going on, such as in a village market, at first you will be the centre of attention, and it seems hopeless, but at some point the novelty wears off and folks return to more pressing pursuits, like making a living, then you can start to look for good subjects and action.
    Security is important, try not to wear any sort of jewellery or accessories, no matter how value less they may be to you, thieves will steal first then discard, and be aware that even your cheap and nasty duty free SLR represents a nice prize to many people living on less than US$1 per day, so you are carrying quite a temptation even without a Rolex.
    I try not to change lenses or film in crowded places, and usually use a wide angle so I can keep an eye on those near by, in fact it’s often best to limit the amount of gear you take on each outing, it can be an advantage in that you force yourself to look at subjects with new perspectives.
    I move back to a safe spot to make changes in gear or film, and to take a moment to re- assess the situation, drink some water and blend in again.
    Always keep your camera bag secured and preferably at your front in a crowd.
    Keep an eye out for any figure that seems to show up each time you stop to take a photo, look around you for signs of a mood shift in the crowd, especially at a demonstration or any public gathering, and never enlist the services of a guide that you just happened to meet on location.
    As for paying for photographs, I will leave my opinions out on that, but a warning, if you do agree to make a payment, make sure both parties understand how much and to whom the money is to be paid to before the shutter is released.
    Be prepared, have small local notes in pocket, do not open your wallet and expose any other money on your person when you are on the street, and obviously never show where your money belt is.
    Lastly, keep in mind that in a foreign country unlike here, it is not your right to take a photograph.
    Good travels !!
    John

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    great post john and so true.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Consequences can have nasty reactions..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Olympus E-30 upgrade pointing @ you

50mm
    11-22mm
    FL-36 [flash]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great article. Thanks for posting. Really puts a few things in perspective.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Train-spotting & Safety

Trainspotting & Safety

Updated (again):
    (I see the daily train control shift journals - the number of people doing really dumb things with trains on an daily / weekly basis is frightening. esp. vehicles and level crossings, there are regular deaths due to plain stupidity)

If you are planning to photograph trains then consider these:

[I work in the rail industry and having done track safety awareness and access training...]

1. Trains can and do kill!!

2. It is illegal to access the rail corridor without proper authorisation (i.e. 15 metres from the outermost rail or within the fenced area)

3. The danger zone is within 3 metres of the track, but that is not all that safe due to items that may come loose (eg. ropes, chains, container doors etc.)

4. Some authorities will take umbrage at photo's of 'sensitive' infrastructure (gotta watch for dem terry wrists!!) - you can contact train control and advise them of your activity!

5. Points (switches) may move without warning - they are remote controlled and can crush feet

6. Approaching trains are often quiet - most of our network is bi directional - so you have lookout(s) and othe protection measure in place

7. Don't walk on the rails, always step over - it much safer - also: ballast is very unstable

8. If you do get official access you will be required to wear orange high visibility outer clothing (vest etc) and approved ankle high steel capped boots, and be accompanied by a qualified rail safe worker (eg. level B for ARTC in SA, varies by state and network)

9. Electrical hazards - obviously electric trains have high voltage and current, but you can be hurt/killed by signalling and control equipment

10. If you see untoward or unsafe activity - report it !!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting and informative posts in this thread.
    As someone that is involved in what can be considered high risk works (Confined Space, Height Works, Remote Area and most of it Solo) I can never harp at people enought about stopping and looking around for the hazards before beginning a task. This is especially so when you're trying to capture that shot, focusing purely through the lens only to step back off that loading dock. Knowing whats around you is key, regardless of what the hazard is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This may be obvious to all of you, but it probably bears repeating. The most common (and potentially damaging) risk I have encountered is the simple step backwards. Whether it's on wet rocks, in the bush, on a footpath or anywhere else you tend to get absorbed into the photo taking process and often lose touch with your surroundings. To get the perfect framing of the subject you often take a few step backwards (with the eye firmly glued to the viewfinder of course!) and can easily find yourself stepping into thin air or worse.

Situational awareness is the key.

(oh yeah, and always look over your shoulder for potentially aggressive bovine!)
    https://forkandfoot.com

Nikon D7000
    Sigma 10-20mm ~ Nikon 18-55mm ~ Nikon 55-200mm ~ Manfrotto 190XProB ~ Manfrotto 488RC2
    ~ LowePro Top Load Zoom 1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is an extremely well written tread with many good points that I think we should all keep in mind. We have done it, going in area's were we shouldnt have been, and we do this without even thinking. Hopefully after reading all the answers posted in here we might think before continueing.
    Great thread
    Cheers Peter
    Canon 7D...Canon 40D...Canon 24-70L 2.8...Canon 70-200L 2.8...Canon 17-85...Canon 50mm...Speedlights....Tripods...Filters... Battery grips.... And heaps of other stuff

There are always two people in every picture.. the photographer and the viewer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stoogest View Post
    This may be obvious to all of you, but it probably bears repeating. The most common (and potentially damaging) risk I have encountered is the simple step backwards.
    YES! We have a family friend who almost killed himself walking off a cliff doing just that. He wasn't anywhere near the edge (so no, wasn't just being loony) but he was close enough so that when he tripped and fell backwards he rolled down the slope and was only saved by a thin, half rotten, chicken wire fence.

Everyone thought they were about to see him go over the edge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just a little bump to refresh our memories, safety should be everyones first priority, but if you insist on risky behaviour spare a thought for the unsung heroes in our communities that will endeavour to rescue you.............. these wonderful folks have families and loved ones too, how would you feel about it if your risk taking resulted in death or injury to a rescuer?
    And have a second think about chemical or biohazard contamination.................. would you go straight home and put your clothes in the family washing machine so your entire family could share in your misfortune? It really is better to think first and act appropriately before getting into a situation you may or may not live to regret.
    My Image Policy: Feel free to comment or edit as you wish.

Rebel XT
    Canon 18-55 kit
    Canon 50 f1.8
    Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG macro
    Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX APO HSM
    Sigma 150 f2.8 EX APO Macro DG HSM
    Canon 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L IS USM
    Sigma 135-400 f4.5-5.6 APO
    Sigma EF-500 DG Super

http://spacejunk2.deviantart.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darren, that is so unbelievable as to be totally unbelievable. The worst of it is that they sound as if they are Australians.
    Words fail me totally.
    All I can say is nobody, repeat NOBODY ever do anything as stupid as this even if you are offered dollars to do it.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Darwin would be laughing in his grave at that one Darren. Some peoples IQ must be in single digits.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh...should clarify...it's American

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    omg - thats guys insane being there
    Cat (aka Cathy) - Another Canon user - 400D, 18-55,75-300mm Kit Lens,50mm f1.8, Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro, Sigma 28-70 f2.8-4 DG, Tripod and a willingness to learn
    Software used: PhotoImpact, Irfanview and a lot of plugins
    We don't make a photograph just with a camera, we bring to the act of photography all the books we have read, the movies we have seen, the music we have heard, the people we have loved. - Ansel Adams

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im not that crazy but have 'forgotten' where I was early on when I got a camera and started walking around in rainforests with thongs, shorts and a sleeveless T Shirt...not smart. A close encounter with a Red Belly Black (snake), a tick in my ear and few million middi and mossie bites cured me of that very quickly.

Now I kit up properly, look like a complete tosser *well ok, more so* with my hat and long pants and sleeves and proper hiking boots and mossie repellant and kit bag with First Aid kit, extra water bottle, emergency food supply and torch etc cf the 'tourists' that stroll past me in the rainforests but I dont give a damn- better safe and ready that 'cool' and dead,, i think
    Comments and CC welcome..

Gear: Canon 6D & 1Ds Cameras l Canon EF 17-40mm F 4.0 L USM l Canon EF 24-105mm F4.0 L IS USM l Canon EF 70 - 200 F4.0 L USM Lenses I Manfrotto Tripods I Adobe Photoshop CS6 l Lightroom 3.0 I Lee Filters

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes." Marcel Proust 1871 - 1922

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The photobucket link is now showing page not foudn - maybe an admin there got a look at it!

Bagubun, it is not being a tosser to be sensible.

The thing I thought of reading the first post was why not drop a facemask in the camera bag. One of those little foldingones you can buy at any hardware store, my OH uses one when weed spraying. Just a few cents and takes up no room, but you'd alwasy be prepared.

And I always longed to get into that old abbatoir building near Nimmitabel (it ias the one on the railway line, isn't it?) - I thoguht it would be great for photos. I am always very careful. and never go alone, but we go to lost of these old sites in our historic rail explorations.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast