Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is That Image Worth Your Life?

It has been suggested by one of the Forum members that I write an article on the dangers of the industrial environment to the budding photographer. Many of you have never been exposed to the industrial environment and especially one which is in decay and this poses a danger.

Many of you have seen the stark and surrealistic images taken in derelict building, factories and other industrial landscapes and considered these places as a source of inspiration. Whilst these images can really set the creative mind afire, the dangers posed by these sites to the photographer need to assessed before entry. I’m trying to make people aware of the risks and to take necessary precautions. In some instances the risks are just too great and I will explain why under each danger topic.

When you go anywhere outside of your normal day to day, get in the habit of doing a risk assessment before you enter the unknown. I don’t mean you have to have formal written document, just stop and think about what you could come across first. Look for signs of what the site used to do and this will give you a clue to the hazards you may face and yes there will be hazards, I can guarantee this. Some of the hazards you need to think about are:

Chemicals previously used on site – they could be toxic and Immediately Dangerous to Life or Health (IDLH) or they can have long term effects such as causing birth defects, weakening the bodies systems or causing cancers. Steel drums rust and spill contents wherever they stand. Chemicals can also be in powdered forms which can be blown about the site. Be cautious in what you pick up or handle.

Asbestos – I give this its own special category as this deadly product is everywhere in the Australian landscape. Asbestos can be found in everything from roof and wall sheeting (fibro) to insulation materials in furnaces and electrical equipment The Worksafe Standards permit 1 fibre for every 2 litres of air space as being acceptable in the air you breathe, but you still need to understand that it only takes 1 fibre to get stuck in your lungs to be susceptible to Asbestosis and Mesothelioma 10 or more years later. Whilst you can easily see asbestos materials, it’s the floating fibres which pose the danger. These fibres are between 0.3 to 0.5 microns (thousandths of a millimetre) so small that you cannot see them except maybe just as a dust mote in strong sunlight. Once disturbed, asbestos fibres can float in still air for hours. At this size the fibre is too large to be expelled from the body by normal breathing and too small to be expelled by coughing.

Unstable Structures – brick walls where timber frames have rotted away can collapse, old machinery mounted on frames that have rusted or stairways rotten or rusted. Don’t trust your life to any structure – stay on the ground, don’t climb ladders or stairways.

Live Electrical – Just because the site is derelict doesn’t mean the power isn’t connected somewhere and with factories the voltages can be a lot higher than just 240 volts. Also remember that a combination of electricity and old chemicals can equal explosions or chemical fires. Don’t touch what you don’t understand.

Other Services – The same as electricity, piped gas services and water may still be connected and live.

Confined Spaces – These are places where the air you breathe can be or is contaminated. Most of the killer gases that can be found in confined spaces are odourless and will overcome you in seconds with death following a few seconds later. Do NOT enter pits or tunnels or other confined spaces unless you have gas detection devices as a minimum. If you don’t understand then don’t go in.

Slips trips and falls – Derelict sites are not renown for their cleaned tidy floors. It is normal for debris to be scattered everywhere. Remember there may be trenches, pits and other holes in the ground which have been covered by debris. Watch your footing.

Who You Going to Call – If something goes wrong, what are you going to do? Do you have to rely on yourself? do you have an exit strategy? Ensure your mobile is charged and in service, alternatively let someone else know where you are and stick to what you told them.

I’m not saying don’t go exploring and getting that award winning image but be cautious, understand the environment your in, be informed and aware of the dangers it poses. When I was young and indestructible SCUBA diving and underwater photography was my outlet. In those 20 years I’ve had many of close calls and I’ve hauled body of one of the dive group from the sea – he didn’t make it – I hope you don’t have to do the same. Stay safe

This is a pretty quick overview and I could go on for days in detail - I'd like to see others advice too

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very well written Mark , it never hurts to have a reminder of the perils and pitfalls that can accompany even a seemingly "harmless" pursuit such as photography.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome post Mark, you have performed a great service to those of us who occasionally, for one reason or another, do stuff without thinking it through a little, sometimes you get away with it, sadly sometimes you don't. As you correctly state, think about it a bit first, and if you don't know find out?

I do a bit landscape and always have in the back of my mind to be on the lookout for chemicals, some of the older farm chemicals are pretty nasty so I'm extra careful near old buildings, or tips, any old bags or rusty tins I stay right away from.

anyone else got a safety tip for what they do ?
    My Image Policy: Feel free to comment or edit as you wish.

Rebel XT
    Canon 18-55 kit
    Canon 50 f1.8
    Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG macro
    Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX APO HSM
    Sigma 150 f2.8 EX APO Macro DG HSM
    Canon 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L IS USM
    Sigma 135-400 f4.5-5.6 APO
    Sigma EF-500 DG Super

http://spacejunk2.deviantart.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put together very well Mark - you obviously know your stuff.

Sanctuary Point - 2 hours south of Sydney
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very well thought through and very well put together. Thank you for the effort and concern that you have shown for others.

Posts like this should be placed in a permanent position at the top of the appropriate forum (stickies I believe is the term) so that they can be viewed as a reminder or warning to new members. Mods, for consideration.
    Brian

My two pet hates are male chauvanists and women who won't do as they are told

Canon 60D - Canon 17-40mm f4 L USM - Canon 70 - 200mm F4 L IS USM - CANON 24-105MM f4 IS USM - Sigma EF-500 DG Super Flash - Lightroom 4.4 - Photo Elements 11 ****

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not only the dangers of any misfortune that we should be concentrating on, there's also the concept of trespassing too!

I've missed many photo ops, because I tend not to trespass onto other peoples' property, and especially if there appears to be any element of danger involved.. I'll just try to get a shot from afar.. hence my need for a lens between 80-300mm!

And I'm not just referring to dilapidated/abandoned property.
    Too many times I wanted to get to a location in the middle of a paddock.. only to be held back by those infuriating cows!!

Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes well done Mark. Thanks for your time on this. Let us look for an appropriate place to post it.
    Nikon D200
    Nikon D70
    Nikkor AF-S VR 70-200 2.8
    Nikkor 50mm 1.8
    Nikkor 18-70 kit lens
    Nikon SB800 Speedlite
    and other stuff

I view stupidity as a virtue.....well it works for me anyway!
    Australian Photography Competitions- Have you voted yet?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i thought of another thing to add to the list, and that is storm water drains. Some people are just plain stupid and like to go in them, and then when bad weather hits... yeah you get the drift.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just been thinking through some of the jobs i've done as a Paramedic over the years where photographers have gotten themselves into strife.

1 slipped and fell about 6 metres into a rocky creek bed in rainforest, another slipped on the same rocks the other guy fell onto and cracked his scalp.

1 briefly clipped a moving train and got lollypopped, 1 fell off a train trying to get night shots and lost limbs.

2 assaulted.

1 stepped backwards off a gutter and broke his lower leg badly.

1 Cleaned up by a footballer and about 4 guys chasing the said footballer over the line near the flag.

1 Fell into a harvester.

There's probably more scattered over a 25+ year period...................

Take Care out there.
    Martin

Critique is always welcome as is PP with details.

Canon 7D, 10-22mm, 18-55mm, 70-300mm
    SL 580EX11

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done for brining this to our attention. I work in a place where these hazards are pumped into us every day (and yes we still have accidents) so to bring it up is a great idea as long as people read and at least have a little common sense......
    The only difference between me and a madman is that I’m not mad.

Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a safety professional, I must say that this thread is brilliant and you deserve a pat on the back for this Every photographer should read this..... the AIPP ought to publish something along these lines (if they haven't already)
    Living the dream...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

photographer dies in cliff plunge off south australian coast

Som bad news today it looks like...

http://www.smh.com.au/national/photo...0427-tp7n.html
    boggo.

feel free to fix my shots and send them back to me!

canon 5d2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i just received this through my adelaide now newsletter...tragic safety first guys....always safety first
    Kind Regards, Deb

Canon 1000D, 7D, Sigma 100mm Macro, Tamron 17-50mm, 18-55mm, 70 - 300mm, 50mm f1.8, Sigma 10-20mm

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser OzzieTraveller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day all

Just seen this thread and - wow, thanks to all who have contributed

A decade ago we lost a family member who fell to his death at the 12 Apostles on the Great Ocean Road in western Victoria

The family did not know he had come to grief ... he was having a few days to himself to "go bush for his photographic enjoyment" and a local farmer noticed that the same car was parked in the same spot 36 hrs later... His body, with his 2 SLRs around his neck was found at the bottom of a 40metre cliff; he had crossed over a safety rail to get a better view of the scenery and quite obviously, slipped and fell

Regards, Phil
    Of all the stuff in a busy photographers kitbag, the ability to see photographically is the most important
    google me at Travelling School of Photography
    images.: flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Ausphotography Regular Jeanette's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    safety first .. this is a great thread guys .. one we all need reminding of hey

Constructive Critique and editing of my images is welcome and appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sometimes stand on photo lines and photograph an approaching train as part of an organised event.

When photographing an approaching train with a 28mm lens, the view is distorted and the locomotive looms up suddenly and the ground shakes. Best to have both eyes open and look around you. It's also possible to lose you balance or stumble if you get a distorted view through a 28 mm lens. You could trip on the ballast or sleepers. It used to give me a fright.

Daryl.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yesterday afternoon a 37 year old woman tripped and fell to her death when she was taking photos of the quarry in Gooseberry hill ( Perth).
    R.I.P.
    CC is welcomed & appreciated

5d Mark II

Photography by nature is spiritual, considering it comes from the darkness to show the light.
    - Kevin Russo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found my self in a difficult situation the other day looking for something nice to take photos I was on a dirt road and I turned of onto another dirt road it was narrow but right at the end of the road was a locked gate there was a wall of a hill on one side of the road and a pretty large drop on the other side of the road it took me and my little car about 8 point turn very slowly and very carefully I managed to turn around and got out of there so sometimes just looking for a spot could have cost me my life or a lot of damage
    All experts were once beginners

Nikon D3100 18 55 kit lens Nikon 35 mm Nikon 70 300mm optex tripod

MWAH! Sandy

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser OzzieTraveller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day all

Just come back to revisit this thread after some time ...
    One of the things in my camera bag - has been for 4-5 yrs - is a worker's fluoro-orange safety vest. EVERY time I get out of the motorhome to walk up the road etc etc to chase some images, on goes the vest

Regards, Phil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing I haven't seen in these threads: If you are going somewhere potentially dangerous and unfamiliar, bring a friend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast