Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  16
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: eBay Experience

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SirusDeVirus View Post
    Recently bought a 32GB SD card for approx $15 including shipping on ebay for my Nikon D5000 and it turned out to be a FAKE SD card from China. It only contained 2 GB of space and corrupted file over 2 GB.

Made a complain to Ebay/Paypal and they were happy to refund me $15 provided i send the card back to the seller which costs $25 registered to China at my own expense. The return postage cost more than the card which doesn't make any sense to me at all. In the end i kept the FAKE card.

I cant see that as a problem just re sell it on eBay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am currently trying to get a battery that i purchased replaced, the seller has not responded to my emails since mid last week, so i have opened up a paypal dispute, see how it goes and will let you know
    A Camera, A Battery Grip, An Everyday Lens with a UV Filter, A Zoom Lens with a UV filter, A Prime Lens with a UV Filter, A bag, A computer, A Laptop, 2 Memory cards, a remote shutter release cable, Windows picture and fax viewer, Microsoft Office picture manager.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recently bought a 32GB SD card for approx $15 including shipping on ebay for my Nikon D5000 and it turned out to be a FAKE SD card from China. It only contained 2 GB of space and corrupted file over 2 GB.

Made a complain to Ebay/Paypal and they were happy to refund me $15 provided i send the card back to the seller which costs $25 registered to China at my own expense. The return postage cost more than the card which doesn't make any sense to me at all. In the end i kept the FAKE card.
    Sorry to hear Sirus - unfortunately it's one of the most common practices for these dodgy sellers to do what you mention (Sell a 1-2GB card as 16-32) or have a slower speed card but same size. Guess the rule of thumb is to be very, very wary of people claiming to sell cards on ebay (or any other cheap seller tbh). It's very c There are some things that are worth just paying a bit of a premium for a bit of peace and mind.

Hell, even a 16GB card I got bundled with my camera from a shop in HK (one of the more reputable ones) doesn't seem legit (it's a different blue and the bottom notch is missing to the website) yet it is 16GB and operates at the correct speeds. Regardless, I still went out and bought a more authenticate card.

@Sirus
    Then regarding the Paypal asking you to send it back even though postage costs more just seems stupid - just like saying "we can't be bothered making the claim because the $$$ is so low." Almost like some insurance companies - "oh we'll insure it, for the cost of the car each year"

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its not worth buying memory cards from eBay. Feedback won't help you., most users plug the card in, their PC or camera reports the fake capacity, take a few shots and leave positive feedback. Only later once you exceed the true capacity of the fake card do the problems become obvious.

Memory cards are pretty cheap in store or from reputable Aussie websites. Its not worth the risk getting them from offshore.

The postage issue is something many don't think about. For many items (even legit ones) it effectively means no warranty as its so dear sending stuff overseas from Oz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

eBay Experience

I bought a lot of photo gear from eBay and have great experience.
    I like the BIN (Buy It Now) button because it just quickly cuts the deal instead of prolonged agony only to loose out by $2.50!
    But scammers and criminals use and abuse BIN...
    I bought a nice camera from a wedding photographer who had to list his BIN item several times because scammers from Nigeria, Russia and Indonesia were always clicking it! I had the good fortune of beating those scammers on his fourth listing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulIsidro View Post
    I bought a lot of photo gear from eBay and have great experience.
    I like the BIN (Buy It Now) button because it just quickly cuts the deal instead of prolonged agony only to loose out by $2.50!
    But scammers and criminals use and abuse BIN...
    I bought a nice camera from a wedding photographer who had to list his BIN item several times because scammers from Nigeria, Russia and Indonesia were always clicking it! I had the good fortune of beating those scammers on his fourth listing!
    You can set your selling preferences to "Oz only" or only allow buyers from certain countries...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think these days we know not to click on that link in the email. I did a few years ago and 2 weeks later I logged in and found 2 Goldwing motobikes for $7,500 and $8,000 sitting in my account for sale by me! My account had been hijacked! I was locked out when I opened a new page. Thankfully no one bought the bikes before eBay took them down after I notified them. Not knowing bikes I suspect these should have been over twice the amount they were asking. So if it looks too good a bargain it might be best to leave alone.

I still buy and sell on eBay and I use PayPal but I never click on a link in an email then my account can't be hijacked!

I always go to the account and log in if I receive an email from eBay, Paypal or my bank - I NEVER USE THE LINK which could lead to a fake page. If there are any important messages they will be in my account.

ALSO https:// should be in the address bar for secure log in and our names are now normally on our accounts.
    Last edited by CarolTas; 13-07-2010 at 10:55am.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recently I bought second hand off ebay.

Canon 70-200mm f4 L IS - $1,100 - Perfect, like new.

Canon EF 100/2.8 Macro - $584 - Perfect, like new.

Tokina 16-50mm f2.8 - $385 - Was advertised as like new, but it has a noticeable amount of wobble/slack in the front (extending part) of the lens. I tried a new lens in store and it was't like this. Today I dropped it at Camera Clinic to get a quote. They were not sure if it was a repairable problem, it does take good pictures but they suggested (for $49 they charge) to pull it apart and fully inspect it as it was "probably caused by a drop or good whack". I agreed to pay it and find out if they think there is anything bound to happen soonish with it (internal damage/weakness) and if they can quote on repair.. Hope they can fix it, next I will have to deal with seller and paypal..

I have sold a LOT on ebay as I tend to like to try everything out myself LOL, but I am very careful to accurately describe the condition of the item.

I once had both my ebay and paypal accounts hijaked, I NEVER ever click on links in emails and am very careful to always type addresses and not use links to any important site (ebay/paypal).. So have no idea how it happened, ebay reset my password but paypal required me to join again. The guy who stole the account had just paid $80 for subscription to an online game, but it was refunded to me almost immediately.
    Last edited by joele; 14-07-2010 at 10:46pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently purchased one of the Canon lookalike lens coffee cups on Ebay. After 4 weeks it had not turned up, from China, and I could get no correspondence with them. I made a disputed transaction "item not received" case with Paypal. 2 days later Ebay notified me that the seller was no longer registered with Ebay. Paypal refunded the money in full within 24 hours.
    I buy quite a bit of stuff on Ebay and only pay with Paypal or cash on pickup. In over 700 transactions I can only recall about 3 that have not produced the goods and I have never been out of pocket yet. I have either been refunded in full by the seller or Paypal. I think a little bit of care can save a lot of grief.
    Andrew

Mostly Canon gear

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joele View Post
    Recently I bought second hand off ebay.

Canon 70-200mm f4 L IS - $1,100 - Perfect, like new.

Canon EF 100/2.8 Macro - $584 - Perfect, like new.

Tokina 16-50mm f2.8 - $385 - Was advertised as like new, but it has a noticeable amount of wobble/slack in the front (extending part) of the lens. I tried a new lens in store and it was't like this. Today I dropped it at Camera Clinic to get a quote. They were not sure if it was a repairable problem, it does take good pictures but they suggested (for $49 they charge) to pull it apart and fully inspect it as it was "probably caused by a drop or good whack". I agreed to pay it and find out if they think there is anything bound to happen soonish with it (internal damage/weakness) and if they can quote on repair.. Hope they can fix it, next I will have to deal with seller and paypal..

I have sold a LOT on ebay as I tend to like to try everything out myself LOL, but I am very careful to accurately describe the condition of the item.

I once had both my ebay and paypal accounts hijaked, I NEVER ever click on links in emails and am very careful to always type addresses and not use links to any important site (ebay/paypal).. So have no idea how it happened, ebay reset my password but paypal required me to join again. The guy who stole the account had just paid $80 for subscription to an online game, but it was refunded to me almost immediately.
    Joele, I hope you have been in touch with the seller before agreeing to get a quote on the lens. They may not have been aware that the wobble was an issue at all... and as you said the lens takes good photos. Most sellers (ebay, online or bricks and mortar) will NOT pay a 3rd party the buyer chooses to repair something they sold, but will expect the buyer to return it for a refund or repair. They want to asses the item first, and will have ways of getting it fixed much more economically than paying retail repair prices.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zac View Post
    Joele, I hope you have been in touch with the seller before agreeing to get a quote on the lens. They may not have been aware that the wobble was an issue at all... and as you said the lens takes good photos. Most sellers (ebay, online or bricks and mortar) will NOT pay a 3rd party the buyer chooses to repair something they sold, but will expect the buyer to return it for a refund or repair. They want to asses the item first, and will have ways of getting it fixed much more economically than paying retail repair prices.
    Yes and No, I told them I had a problem.. They did not reply at all (it was a few days ago)..

I am willing to eat the $49 inspection fee, but it is hard for me to really deal with them and paypal/ebay without an offical report stating there is a problem. Camera Clinic are an authorised Tokina warranty repair center, so I asume their report is worth the paper it is written on. I also want to know if it is a problem that will get worse or is just a little slackness in the build, before I decide how I wish to proceed. If it isn't going to get worse (become a bigger issue) and as I said the IQ seems fine I will just live with it..

It isn't actually a professional seller as in an online store, they are just a local canon user with around a 100 sales all positive who was selling up all their gear (maybe moving brand or something?).
    Last edited by joele; 15-07-2010 at 12:09pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    generaly i prefer to buy stuff from a friend or someone with a genuine interst in what im selling. Its far eaiser when you know the person and can contact them eaisly.

and you can never be to sure about ebay i think

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zac View Post
    Its not worth buying memory cards from eBay.
    I disagree. While it's true that most memory cards on ebay are fake, if you do your research, you can find reputable sellers on eBay.

For example, 1800memory is an authorised SanDisk reseller who sells genuine SanDisk cards on eBay, and can be trusted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mpot View Post
    I disagree. While it's true that most memory cards on ebay are fake, if you do your research, you can find reputable sellers on eBay.

For example, 1800memory is an authorised SanDisk reseller who sells genuine SanDisk cards on eBay, and can be trusted.
    If they are a genuine stocking it makes all the difference. Thanks for the tip!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as photography goes, I've bought the Nikon 50mm 1.8, two Holga cameras, a Holga wide lens and film. No problems. I've bought quite a few guitar pedals which have all been fine.

Only problem I've ever had was when I bought a PS3 controller for $45 (they are $99 to buy in stores) and it turned out to be fake. I was refunded by PayPal, sent the controller back to him but he never accepted the delivery so it was sent back to me, where it still is in it's packet on my floor.
    Nikon D90
    Nikon AF 50mm f1.8 D
    Tamron 17-50mm f2.8
    ---
    Holga 135BC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The majority of my ebay camera gear experience has been positive.
    I think there are alot of genuine sellers out there who have truly babied thier gear and most of it is in pretty good condition.
    However, I think some people skate over the description pretty lightly and dont mention some things that is important to alot of buyers, the majority being hobbyist who want to have good looking gear, who doesn't.

I try to avoid people with 0 -5 feedback unless they are in the area and I can pick it up. Sending a message to confirm the condition and operation of the lens is a good idea as they may be a bit vague in the listing.
    I have found second hand gear to be much cheaper, and in all the items i have bought, working just like new. Some have a few cosmetics marks but nothing that would not be accumulated after 6 months use anyway.
    Currently, every piece of gear I have has come second hand from ebay, the gear I bought new, although nice to have a new item, were pretty pricy and the resale was bad for the wallet.
    Anyway, i wouldnt discourage using ebay as a source of second hand gear becuase alot of the things I have now i would never be able to afford new.
    1DIII, 5DII, 15mm fish, 24mm ts-e, 35L,135L,200L,400L,mpe-65mm
    Film: eos 300, pentax 6x7

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have purchased alot off ebay over the years (and sold a fair bit too)
    prob most expensive and nicest purchase was the 300D about 4 years ago
    best sale was a printer i picked up at a local auction house for $20 sold for $750 (LOL) ..
    havent had the time to do the ausction house/ebay thing for a while..
    when buying from ebay I agree with the general theme thats coming from every1 ..
    buy from sellers with high positive feedback ..
    most of my purchases these days are small cheap items from china with free (or low pastage), like mice, high dB WLAN antennas.. and the sort ... i've found generally as long as you expect it not to be "genuine" then ya fine.. LOL .. as well as any probs these sellers are more often than not willing to either refund or send you a replacement item without hassles.
    also its against ebays policy for someone to try to "offer" to buy something you are selling outside ebay..
    and I am instantly turned off an item i want to buy if the seller is local yet doesnt offer a "local pickup" option .. (or if the postage is outrageous for something going cheap) ..
    - Daz
    weathers good.. bird pics .... weathers bad .. storm pics..
    do or do not.. ...stop ya procrastinating!!!!
    Canon EOS 60D, Sigma 120-400mm F4.5-5.6 APO DG OS, EOS 300D, Canon EF 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 IV, Canon EF 35-70mm 3.5-4.5, Canon EF 50mm 1.8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have made nearly 400 transactions as a buyer and seller and have only had 3 instances as a seller where the bidder did not pay for the item. Fees were refunded and item re-listed.

When buying I look firstly at the sellers feedback (lots of transactions and 98 or 99%), but then at the item description and any photos. If I am unsure about something I contact the seller for clarification.

A great tool to use on Ebay are the guides. These are very help full articles for someone like myself who are new to photography. There are many articles on the pitfalls and what to look out for when looking to purchase. In fact I think allot of these articles are relevant reading even if you are not planning on buying off Ebay.

I have bought 100% of my photographic equipment off Ebay and have not had a problem yet, but I have done the research first.

Allot of the negative remarks about purchasing on Ebay would apply to all purchases made in general, whether online, store or classifieds. Its always a case of buyer beware. There are scammers everywhere.
    Canon 500D.....EFS 18-55 - EFS 55-250
    Hoya Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ebay

I just brought a 17-40 L series lens from ebay I hope all goes ok as I have not recieved it yet
    Bettess

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While Iam talking about this lens I paid $640 for it, is that price ok or not? its suppose to be in very good condition

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast