Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why I hate all of you...

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why I hate all of you...

I just wanted to say thanks and tell you how much I hate you all. It may seem harsh, but as a member of Photographers Anonymous (PA), life isn’t easy dealing with this addiction every day…every Tuesday night we meet up, talk about our problems with photography purchases. Once in a while, a person slips up and they show up with a new body or lens, but we support them, we don’t judge, that’s what we do because we’re a family in it together.

But this isn’t about them, this is about me. This is about my problem...

I recently nearly spent a small fortune on new photography gear. This is largely as a result of the members here. Yes, I know, it’s easy to blame it on me, it’s my credit card, but it’s your fault and it’s time for you to take responsibility for your actions.

All attempts to get support from the members here in not buying the gear were useless. My first attempt occurred when I asked members whether I should buy the D800 or a used D4. Instead of responsible replies like ”don't do it/you'll hate yourself/think of the children/what would Michael Jackson do/that’s stupid when there is a new tax coming from the government”, I received responses of encouragement like “they're awesome, you'll love them! buy that! buy both! buy more! buy everything in the store!”. What I want you to ask yourself is if a friend came to you and said “Do you think I should buy cocaine or heroine”, would you really reply “They’re both awesome, get both!”?

But as I was a responsible member of photographer anonymous, I contacted my PA Big Brother (he has a platinum badge because he hasn’t bought any photography gear in 2 years), I managed to gain enough emotional support to refrain from any further purchases. I did have a little slip up a couple of weeks later where I accidentally walked into a photography store thinking it was a hair salon and bought a Tamron 90mm Macro. With names of photography stores like Michael’s, Borge’s, Van Bar and Ted’s, it was an honest mistake. I walked in there expecting a new hair cut and suddenly I have a whole lot of cameras and lenses in front of me. I didn’t even have time to cut up my credit card. I really think these guys should be a little more honest about what they are doing instead of trying to fool customers into walking into the stores. Names like Camera Pro, Camera’s are us or Camera Shop seem far more appropriate and less misleading. Fortunately, I had my PA big brother on speed dial as the credit card transaction was going through and he managed to talk me out of the store before any further damage was done but it was still a lens too late. At that point, I was doing well. I was headed towards a major milestone where I could proudly proclaim “Hi, I’m MissionMan and it’s been 1 month since my last photography purchase” but that’s the problem with life…just as you think things are going well, mother nature has a nasty habit of throwing you a curve ball.

I was casually browsing the recent posts section of Ausphotography; despite the recommendations of my PA big brother; but I thought I was strong enough to control the urge at this point. Then it happened. A post about the new Nikon D810 camera. It’s just a post I thought, it’s not even available yet so I can handle this. But it was followed shortly by comments about how nice the Camera was and before I knew it I was googling “Nikon D810” and clicking the “pre-order“ on an online shopping site in Australia. I didn’t have a 36MP camera body and if this camera was really that good, it may be able to produce more winning photos for me, maybe even a Pulitzer. Yes, those evil competition wins that elude us so often were finally within reach by simply clicking that “Check Out” button. I had the talent, but not the D810. I thought I didn’t have to worry about the D810 because it hadn’t come out, but there it was…the pre-order button. Who let’s you pre-order something that isn’t actually available? That’s like selling air. Is it my fault for typing D810 into the search box on their site?

From there it became a click frenzy. I was like a shark from Nemo with the smell of blood in the water, clicking wildly at everything that popped up on my screen. These camera places are incredibly sneaky. In the D810 pre-order screen, a popup appeared saying “people who ordered this also ordered a Sigma 50mm ART” and a whole heap of other things I didn’t have, and if they were buying those, they must be the ones winning the comps so I had to buy them. It couldn’t be an addiction if other people were doing it could it? Finally, I was at the checkout screen and things had taken a turn for the worst with mounting numbers that were getting higher and higher. I knew I needed help so I tried to phone my Photographers Anonymous Big Brother but he wasn’t answering (I later learnt he was also out pre-ordering a D810 as well). I went back to Ausphotography for moral support hoping someone would tell me “You’re being an idiot”. Instead, the first post I saw is how was another post about how awesome the D810 was. I clicked on it searching for the answer, hoping for someone to say that the D810 had been discontinued and Nikon was no longer offering any new camera bodies for sale for the next 10 years but there was no such luck. All of the posts were positive about the D810 and the members even said I could sell my old D700 because the D810 was so good I wouldn’t want it anymore. I was originally planning to keep it so in reality, they were saving me money. I was actually making a profit out of this, not losing money.

Then just as I was getting ready to put in my credit card details, I realised things had gone too far. Sanity needed to prevail. I was about to do a bad thing that I would regret for at least 2 days while waiting for the goods to arrive. So I called my wife and she managed to talk me down. We talked for a while, we phoned friends for support, it took nearly an hour of negotiating, but we got there slowly. We both cried.

This is my story, hopefully you can learn from it so you don’t make the same mistakes. Maybe some of you can learn to accept that this is a real problem and you have to be careful about what you say to people on the forum. Giving photography gear advice shouldn’t be taken lightly.

And if you do make the same mistakes as me, I can highly recommend a ThinkTank bag to put the mistakes in.
    Last edited by MissionMan; 13-10-2014 at 2:32pm.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    love it.

Now I know that you will turn to the demon drink to console yourself on not buying the best camera available. In fact, your credit card will take such a beating with cases of bourbon from liquorland appearing on your monthly statement, you will soon realise that the camera was the cheaper option.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Moderately Super
    Marlo, a small coastal town in the far east of
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent! Best read I've had for quite a while MM!
    Nikon F65, D50, D200, D700

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have missed your calling, go write a Book

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or, write a book on confessions.

Since this can be the prologue to such a tome, may I preface a forgiveness.

But wait! There's more!

For your penance, donate all your goods to the

Ameerat42 Benevolent Fund.

Ta a lot
    CC, Image editing OK.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I want is a D810, a D4S, an 85 f/1.4, a 400 f/2.8, a 800 f/5.6 a 35 f/1.4 ART, a 50 f/1.4 ART, and a set of 4 Profoto B1's. Whatever is left over you can have . I'm really quite reasonable

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, and I meant to add: H8 is too big a word to wear.
    Drop the "e" and the hat will probably fit.

Do you like my pun? If so, drop unwanted photographic goods to the aforementioned charity. If not, do the same to shut me up. -- AWP!!)

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Anne View Post
    You have missed your calling, go write a Book
    Thanks. I tried it but strangely enough, my recent novel called "50 shades of grey card" didn't sell much, but some copycat released a book with a similar name and made a fortune. I don't get it, there wasn't one chapter on photography in it.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MissionMan View Post
    Thanks. I tried it but strangely enough, my recent novel called "50 shades of grey card" didn't sell much, but some copycat released a book with a similar name and made a fortune. I don't get it, there wasn't one chapter on photography in it.
    I suppose that chapter made mention of his big Canon...

The moral to the story.. If you need money to pay off your credit card from photographic purchase. Try sex!
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bloody Nikon, purveyors of addiction.
    Since I know meerat has better gear than me, ignore his offer. I'll pay postage to swap all of your gear for all of my Canon stuff.
    It's not quite cold turkey, but it may help you understand you don't have to be addicted.
    Penance is accepting what you have. You clearly need what I have.
    PM me when you finally see the light.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ..... Instead of responsible replies like ”don't do it/you'll hate yourself/think of the children/what would Michael Jackson do/that’s stupid when there is a new tax coming from the government” ....
    This does not compute!
    this notion of responsible replies is completely incomprehensible and/or illegible ... looks and sounds like Greek to me .. and I have Greek heritage behind me.

It reminds me of a saying I was once told long ago(it may have been an old Greek philosopher ... something about bliss ... and ignorance .. or something like that
    (if I can remember more about it, I'll reply back with more info )

... I received responses of encouragement like “they're awesome, you'll love them! buy that! buy both! buy more! buy everything in the store!”. What I want you to ask yourself is if a friend came to you and said “Do you think I should buy cocaine or heroine”, would you really reply “They’re both awesome, get both!”?
    Guilty as charged your worship!

Although, I would discourage the acquisition of either cocaine or heroine!
    There's at least a few lenses worth, right there, in the financial constraint of those dubious products.
    You'd be better off emancipating that monetary resource on the necessary stuff in life( such as 50 Art's/D810's/profoto-B52's/whatever!) and go on a holiday to almost any South American country and acquire the other two (highly discouraged)substances much cheaper than you otherwise would.
    This way you get better value for money from the correct additction .. and you get to create a record of the country of origin of the disaproved addiction .. which will serve as a reminder of who the real enemy is!

OK... so the real question that needs to be answered .... now that tears have flowed, friends had been consulted and an hour was wasted on idle chit chat(that probably made no sense to anyone reading this thread) ... WHAT did you end up getting?

Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Regular Nick Cliff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MM, you may have single-handedly destroyed the second hand camera market with that totally irresponsible post.

Regards Nick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's gold! ... Or platinum, whichever the purveyors prefer
    Jodie

Gear - Canon EOS 7D, EOS 6D, 24-105 F4, 70-200 F2.8L IS, Canon EF 100mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 10-20mm, nifty fifty, EF2xII, 580EX, 430EXII, EFx2 III and a long wishlist

Photoholic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's Platinum in my books ......I feel for you and understand what you are going through and let it be known you are not alone..........Brother
    Does a one legged duck swim in an eliptic circle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to hide my purchases when they get delivered at work. Even the delivery guy knows me.
    But I can stop anytime I want!

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lozzaness View Post
    But I can stop anytime I want!
    I think most of us suffer from the same delusion!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    This does not compute!
    this notion of responsible replies is completely incomprehensible and/or illegible ... looks and sounds like Greek to me .. and I have Greek heritage behind me.

It reminds me of a saying I was once told long ago(it may have been an old Greek philosopher ... something about bliss ... and ignorance .. or something like that
    (if I can remember more about it, I'll reply back with more info )

Guilty as charged your worship!

Although, I would discourage the acquisition of either cocaine or heroine!
    There's at least a few lenses worth, right there, in the financial constraint of those dubious products.
    You'd be better off emancipating that monetary resource on the necessary stuff in life( such as 50 Art's/D810's/profoto-B52's/whatever!) and go on a holiday to almost any South American country and acquire the other two (highly discouraged)substances much cheaper than you otherwise would.
    This way you get better value for money from the correct additction .. and you get to create a record of the country of origin of the disaproved addiction .. which will serve as a reminder of who the real enemy is!

OK... so the real question that needs to be answered .... now that tears have flowed, friends had been consulted and an hour was wasted on idle chit chat(that probably made no sense to anyone reading this thread) ... WHAT did you end up getting?

Most people import drugs to fund their drug habit, Ausphoto members have to do it to fund their photography habit

Maybe it's a legal defence.

Judge: You're charged with importing narcotics, how do you plead?
    Accused: I'm a photographer, your honour. I was forced to do it to fund my 800 f/5.6. I didn't have a choice. If I tried to buy the lens my kids would have starved.
    Judge: Seems like a fair defence. We'll let you off with a suspended sentence.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try again with that Book, just give it a better name, I would never buy a book with grey in the title as I hate the colour grey

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Anne View Post
    Try again with that Book, just give it a better name, I would never buy a book with grey in the title as I hate the colour grey
    You must be the exception to the rule. Every woman I've met has read 50 shades of grey

In fact, they said they even had a baby boom as a result of it.

http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/...s-8410863.html

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every woman I've met has read 50 shades of grey

In fact, they said they even had a baby boom as a result of it.
    Instead of babies with red bottoms, it was babies *from* red bottoms.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast