User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Yashica 124G or Kiev 88

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yashica 124G or Kiev 88

Recently, I'm interested in films and after doing some research.. I've came across these 2 models and I really think that they're quite close to my budget range around AUD300+.. But I am not quite sure about the difference between these 2 models, the pros and cons. Anyone can give me some opinions? Or probably another model close to that range?

Thanks.
    Last edited by jdreamer; 25-02-2010 at 9:02pm.
    Crumpler 5 Million Dollar + Canon EOS 7D + Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM, Manfrotto tripod
    Previous owned gear: Canon EOS 400D, Canon EOS 40D, Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM, Macro Canon EF 35mm f/2, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8, Tamron 55-250m, Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 USM Macro, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kiev88 are known for falling apart, and going faulty, however it is a copy of the hasselblad 500 c/m. It's a very good camera, just that your mileage may vary... and not very much mileage may likely be the case.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, you're saying that it's mainly depends on my luck to get a good copy? What about Yashica 124? Any model else?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 124G and its built like a tank A very well regarded camera
    Alan
    -------------------------------------------
    Olympus OM-1, EM-1, Canon 5DMkII, and a few other bits and bobs

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser DAdeGroot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Yashica is a very nice camera indeed, well built and solid.
    The Kiev, is a bit hit and miss (like many Russian built cameras). Some are fantastic and will just keep on working, but some are best left alone.

I have a Zenit-E (35mm Russian slr), it's extremely solid, simple and still works despite being over 30 years old.
    Dave

http://www.degrootphotography.com.au/
    Canon EOS 1D MkIV | Canon EOS 5D MkII | Canon EOS 30D | Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM | Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM | Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L & some non-L lenses.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you guys know where can I get a reliable Yashica from? eBay is the only place that I source second hand items from.

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser DAdeGroot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdreamer View Post
    Do you guys know where can I get a reliable Yashica from? eBay is the only place that I source second hand items from.
    Kayell sometimes have them in their second hand goods, as does Teds.

Other places might include a local camera fair ? (Brisbane has one every May, lots of old film kit for sale at fairly cheap prices).

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could try KEH in the US.

Cheers.
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a Yashica way back when J.C. was playing fullback for Jerusalem, best God dam camera I have had. Probably why I am still mad keen on photography to this day.(Battery leaked and killed it.) Highly recommended.

Mick.G

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn, couldn't find a cheap Yashica anymore. Anymore other alternative except 124?

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdreamer View Post
    So, you're saying that it's mainly depends on my luck to get a good copy? What about Yashica 124? Any model else?

pretty much, your safer getting a hasselblad 500 c/m then a kiev88. These days its more miss then hit. The amount you'd pay to get a good copy, will probably be the same amount as buying a very good hassy.

I don't know about the Yashica though. I was personally looking at getting a kiev88, and then was put off, by the amount of negative repsponses people got from the kiev88, stuff like it worked for 3 months, and then a certain part that can no longer be obtained broke, and stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've got the yashica 124G and i really love it... it's solid and produces good pictures... it's also easy to use ( i find anyway). I got mine off rangefinderforum.com at $200. It's got red leather cos the guy who sold me it changed the leather making it quite a head turner and good conversation starter at the camera shops.
    The only thing i can find faulty with mine is that sometimes it misses a shot... so out of 12 shots, i probably only get 9 or so... But i'm not fuss with it as the quality of the successful ones are pretty good.
    I think the only thing with a TLR is that you can't change the lens... not sure about the kiev as i have never seen one before. I was told that getting a TLR is a pretty good and economical way to getting into medium format compared to the hasselblads which costs more than 1k.
    I'm thinking of getting a hasselblad though..... perhaps if you have more money to spend or are willing to save up, get a hasselblad... i've only ever heard good reviews for them...
    Just my 2c worth of perhaps mindless ramblings that don't make much sense....

Nikon D700 in all it's glory!