Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Lens information

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lens information

Hello all,

I would like some information. I am thinking of purchasing a Sigma APO 100-300mm F4, EX,
    DG HSM lens. I have looked at reviews & I think the positives out way the negatives, but in saying that I would like your input before I lay out the money.

I was also thinking of getting either a 1.4 or 2 x extender for the lens if I get it (that will really blow the budget). I would also like input in regards to these extenders as well. I have a Canon 450D, & understand that Canon make these lenses as well, but like most things, it's additional cost of the brand name lenses.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rodeo, we own the Sigma, it is the earlier version and it works very well on an APSC body with or without a 1.4x extender. That is the good part.

The negatives.
    It is heavy, as a 100-300 it weighs more than the Canon 100-400 so adding the extender only adds more weight to get it to the same focal length as the Canon is bare.
    If you want to use a filter on it you are in for more dollars, the 82 mm filters are expensive.
    It doesn't have image stabilisation, the Canon does.
    The Sigma is about $400.00 less than the Canon (going by a quick look at a popular grey importer's site) but if I were you I would save the extra and spend on the Canon, after all it is a really really good lens. Have a look around the bird forum and see some of the images taken with it by new and older members here who are putting it to very good use.

As a footnote, we bought it for 2 reasons, it came our way reasonably cheaply and Nikon do not make a lens with the same features as the Sigma full stop.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Andrew, this is what I am after, the additional input. If you don't mond me asking what importer sight didi you look at. I have looked at DWI & DDF here in Aus. I am unsure in regards to the O/S sites, which are cheaper.

Regards
    rodeo550

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a quick price comparison through the DWI site just to see how they compared.
    If I was looking to buy either lens for myself as a brand new item I would be looking at the Ausphotography site sponsors and trying to negotiate a deal through them.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    Rodeo, we own the Sigma, it is the earlier version and it works very well on an APSC body with or without a 1.4x extender. That is the good part.

The negatives.
    It is heavy, as a 100-300 it weighs more than the Canon 100-400 so adding the extender only adds more weight to get it to the same focal length as the Canon is bare.
    If you want to use a filter on it you are in for more dollars, the 82 mm filters are expensive.
    It doesn't have image stabilisation, the Canon does.
    The Sigma is about $400.00 less than the Canon (going by a quick look at a popular grey importer's site) but if I were you I would save the extra and spend on the Canon, after all it is a really really good lens. Have a look around the bird forum and see some of the images taken with it by new and older members here who are putting it to very good use.

As a footnote, we bought it for 2 reasons, it came our way reasonably cheaply and Nikon do not make a lens with the same features as the Sigma full stop.
    Tend to agree with the above, think you would find the IS of the Canon is reason enough to stick out for the Canon. I have not had any experience with the Sigma in that series although I do have a couple of the smaller ones, about even in image quality but the 100-400 is heavy enough without adding extra weight.
    Richard
    I've been wrong before!! Happy to have constructive criticism though.Gear used Canon 50D, 7D & 5DMkII plus expensive things hanging off their fronts and of course a "nifty fifty".

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for your input, I am still weighging up my options, but I have had a look at the canon 100-400, that afellow worker has on his 400d. I am leaning towards this instead of the sigma.

Regards

Rodeo550