User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Paying for water: Are we going mad ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paying for water: Are we going mad ?

I spotted this machine outside of a BP servo near Fingal in NSW. Can someone please explain to me why I would shell out for a bottle then 5.00 for 19 litres of this 'reverse osmosis technology water with 'no flouride'.....

What happened to putting a glass under the tap or a bottle and cooling it in the fridge ? We pay for special water now ? Come on , the marketing gurus have been having a field day with this kind of rhubbard for at least a decade now: I would have thought most had wised up to this by now but here it is, outside a servo and apparently with plenty of buyers -

Last edited by David; 24-02-2010 at 12:20am.
    Comments and CC welcome..

Gear: Canon 6D & 1Ds Cameras l Canon EF 17-40mm F 4.0 L USM l Canon EF 24-105mm F4.0 L IS USM l Canon EF 70 - 200 F4.0 L USM Lenses I Manfrotto Tripods I Adobe Photoshop CS6 l Lightroom 3.0 I Lee Filters

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes." Marcel Proust 1871 - 1922

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe in NSW you can drink the tap water but in WA we get so much ground water that is chemically treated that I have to filter everything I drink now.
    As a measure the average life of a kettle in my area that is filled from the tap is less than 18 months.
    The only time I can drink tap water is when I head down south as the water is not treated nor mixed with ground water.
    These things have been in WA for about 9 or 10 years and whilst not popular are frequently used.
    Peter.

Some of my photo's are at www.peterking.id.au

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterking View Post
    Maybe in NSW you can drink the tap water but in WA we get so much ground water that is chemically treated that I have to filter everything I drink now.
    As a measure the average life of a kettle in my area that is filled from the tap is less than 18 months.
    The only time I can drink tap water is when I head down south as the water is not treated nor mixed with ground water.
    These things have been in WA for about 9 or 10 years and whilst not popular are frequently used.
    I get it where the water is crap Peter but in most places I know the water is fine: might have to boil it then cool it, but the world is going to pot if we have to pay for water everywhere.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looks to me like they are pushing the no fluoride as a good thing, and people will fall for it and buy the water. In the end what other people do with their money is their concern.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, you lucky people, if you donĀ“t have to pay for your water. Here in Denmark we have VERY nice tap water, and enough of it, but have to pay for it anyway, and as if that is not enough, we have to pay 3 times as much to get rid of it again
    Ruth

My camera is a Minolta Konica G, 6 megapixels

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Looks to me like they are pushing the no fluoride as a good thing, and people will fall for it and buy the water. In the end what other people do with their money is their concern.
    Right Rick: up here in QLD there was a big hullabaloo about flouride being introduced into QLD tap water and the nay sayers had a gr8 scare em with statistics campaign going but sanity prevailed- I just think it s nuts in Australia to pay for water unless the local stuff is rubbish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coca-Cola earns a heckuva lotta money from selling filtered water - Mt Franklin, anyone? You get about 1.2 litres for $5 there...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say as others have said its being marketed at those that didn't want flouride introduced in their water - same as other bottled waters marketed as filtered and healthier for you etc...
    Cat (aka Cathy) - Another Canon user - 400D, 18-55,75-300mm Kit Lens,50mm f1.8, Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro, Sigma 28-70 f2.8-4 DG, Tripod and a willingness to learn
    Software used: PhotoImpact, Irfanview and a lot of plugins
    We don't make a photograph just with a camera, we bring to the act of photography all the books we have read, the movies we have seen, the music we have heard, the people we have loved. - Ansel Adams

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most people would die rather than pay $877.50 for 1L of unleaded, but quite a few of those same people are quite happy to pay around $1.80 for 600mL of bottled water, and in quite a few cases the water is straight from a tap (Fact).

Our local water is $1.60 per 1000L, which works out to $0.002666666667 per 600mL bottle or 6.25L per 1 cent. At $1.80 per 600mL bottle the mark up is 675%.

Petrol is around $1.30/L x 675 = $877.50/L
    regards
    Bill

Nikon D90 with grip. 35mm 1.8G, 50mm 1.8D. 18-105VR. 70-300VR
    SB-600. GF Lightsphere. Stroboflip flash bracket.
    Benro A357 & B2 ball head.
    and a bag full of gadgets.

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser DAdeGroot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our water costs us less than 10c/L. That's the cost of the tanks divided by the water volume we've caught from the sky, plus electricity costs to run the pump.

Unless you are catching water in your hands, everyone pays for water at some stage.
    Dave

http://www.degrootphotography.com.au/
    Canon EOS 1D MkIV | Canon EOS 5D MkII | Canon EOS 30D | Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM | Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM | Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L & some non-L lenses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beer has water in it, thank god
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Beer has water in it, thank god
    Amen brother

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kiwi, now it's fluoridated can you taste the difference?
    Photojournalist | Filmmaker | Writer | National Geographic | Royal Geographic

D3x and other gear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Paying for water: Are we going mad ?

Quote Originally Posted by Redgum
    Kiwi, now it's fluoridated can you taste the difference?
    Not sure , I need more samples

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Paying for water: Are we going mad ?

Quote Originally Posted by Fathom
    I pump my own water from the aquifer under my house, I pay for the electricity and maintenance to run the bore pump, also paid for the tank to store it and then paid for a pressure pump to supply the house. Not cheap but an unlimited supply when up and running.
    Bottled water should be outlawed because of the pollution caused by producing the plastic bottles from fossil fuels and then the majority of them end up in land fill or the ocean/bush.
    It actually takes 5 litres of water to make the bottle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk