User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: looking for a great Macro lens :)

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question looking for a great Macro lens :)

Hi All,

looking at buying another lens to my existing lens lineup and was looking at the Macro Lens.

What are people's thoughts on the new Canon EF 100mm F2.8 L IS USM Macro Lens?
    is it worth it? is it a great lens?
    they say also its a good portraiture lens as well?

What are your thoughts? any Help or sample pics would be great as well.

Cheers

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any good places recommended to pick up the Canon EF 100mm F2.8 L IS USM Macro Lens from?

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I acquired the 100L recently and am very happy with it. It's sharp, even when used wide open and the IS works quite well. I've only used it for a couple of portraits, but have been happy with the results. The barrel of the lens is engineering plastic, so despite its size I find it easy to handhold (especially with IS).

The original 100mm macro (non IS) is no slouch either and is considerably cheaper if you don't think you need the IS.
    Canon DSLRs & lenses | Fuji X series & lenses | Ricoh GR

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    I acquired the 100L recently and am very happy with it. It's sharp, even when used wide open and the IS works quite well. I've only used it for a couple of portraits, but have been happy with the results. The barrel of the lens is engineering plastic, so despite its size I find it easy to handhold (especially with IS).

The original 100mm macro (non IS) is no slouch either and is considerably cheaper if you don't think you need the IS.
    Thanks alot for your response Jules
    good to hear its a sharp lens, as looking at buying one today.

Can l please ask .. do you have a UV Filter attached to it as well? or is it even worth buying one at the same time?

have you used kenko ext tubes before? and is it worth getting these as well? (just read about these recently). Also l hope its not to rude to ask, but how much did you pick it up for?

Thanks alot Jules

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a UV filter on it, but then I only really use UV filters on my wide angle lens when I'm out in inclement weather. I haven't used Kenko tubes, but do have a Canon 25mm extension tube. It worked perfectly well with my 60mm macro, and I imagine it would also work well with the 100mm (haven't tried it yet). Lots of people have the Kenko tubes and they're supposed to be quite good. Tubes are helpful if you want to get in really close or are chasing very small subjects.

I bought my copy from DDP as they had the best price at the time, but it's worth doing your own research as prices can change quickly.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks again Jules for your helpful post

l'm going down toady to buy the canon 100mm F2.8 IS macro & Canon 50mm F1.8 II Lens
    l'm so excited.

question .. do you have a Flash cable (between your camera and a 580EXII flash) ?
    what is this called, and is this the same as a PC Sync cord as well?
    as would like to take off camera flashes, and l dont know how to use the ST-E2 and 580EXII flash together? sorry l should know, but not sure about that one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perfect Picture..

Did you get the new lens?

I am looking at getting it in the next week of so. (The 100mm). And was also look at DDP. Where did you get yours from (and if you don't mind, what did you pay?).

I've tried extension tubes, and I just can't do it so I am giving up and buying the lens.
    ~Emz
    30D, 17-85, 50m 1.4, 100mm macro L IS, 580 ex ii.

~all cc welcome~