User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me a couple of flashes (cheap)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recommend me a couple of flashes (cheap)

Hey all,

I purchased a 580EX II about a year back, and well as much as I've been using it for small things I haven't been able to get stuck in with the bigger shoots because I've been lacking the additional lighting that I ideally want.

My shoots will mainly consist of cars, front left/front right and potentially background (hence the 3rd)

And I'm looking at getting into impromptu shots at home, my gf has suggested a few modelling ideas so I'd be wanting a similar setup, front left front right and back drop.

I'll be triggering them with Cactus V4's so TTL etc isn't important. But they must have a good brightness on them. Preferably without a standby mode if possible.

And the kicker, under 150 dollars each? Am I dreaming?

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about these http://cgi.ebay.com.au/YN-460-Slave-...item1c0de9d3df, I have one and at $55 each am intending to get another couple.
    Keith.
    Last edited by Speedway; 21-02-2010 at 1:38am.
    Keith

Canon 400D Gripped, Canon 7D LCD Timer Gripped, Canon 70-200 f2.8L is ii. Canon 2X iii Extender, Canon 50mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 18-250, Sigma 17-50 F2.8, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 90mm Macro, Yonguno YN460 & 460ii Speedlights and a Hanimax TZ 1 Flash, Wireless Triggers ,LED Macro Ringlight, Extension Tubes, 3 tripods, 2 monopods, PS Elements 5 & 10, PSP9 and canon s/ware, various filters and other photographic paraphernalia all packed in a computrecker backpack. NEW:- Panasonic GX8, 45-150, 14mm F2.5. PSE 2018.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if it's just me, but that page hasn't loaded on any of my PC's or the iphone, not sure what's going on with it?

YN-460, time for a google - Thanks.

I was hoping they'd all spit the same brightness so I wouldn't run into problems with the 580 camera left at 1/2 power and having to set up another flash at full power to get the same level light. If I get two of these at that price and save the 580 for background or fill, I shouldn't have a problem.

Cheers - Cheap lighting stands next I guess.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Page loads ok for me, Try YN460 on e bay too.
    Keith.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Keith, do you know if they work with Cactus V4s?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to suggest 2nd-hand 420EX units, but they seem to go for $190-$220. At least you'd get the bonus of TTL (including multi-zone ratio control from your 580EX II) even if you felt you could live without it.

For a basic flash the YN460 II does look like a steal @ <$55 each, and yes they should work with Cactus units fine!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers all, I'll probably grab them next pay along with another v4 receiver.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know the cactus unit but mine works off my PT04 wireless trigger, they will also trigger off another flash so you may not need another receiver.
    Keith.
    Last edited by Speedway; 21-02-2010 at 9:34pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might be worth doing a search for yn 460 on eBay though as Ive seen them as low as $45 with free delivery from hong kong. I have never had a problem buying from HK with typical delivery times around a week. I have had nothing but trouble with things from China though...YMMV
    Justin

Samsung GX-10 (K10D) split prism focus screen and B/Grip| Pentax DA 18-55, M50 f1.7| Tamron SP 28-75 f2.8| Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6| Sigma EF-500DG Super Flash|
    Accessories- Cheapie Tripod, wired & IR remotes, Tamrac system3 bag, macro ext. tubes, etc|

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Recommend me a couple of flashes (cheap)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidB
    I was going to suggest 2nd-hand 420EX units, but they seem to go for $190-$220. At least you'd get the bonus of TTL (including multi-zone ratio control from your 580EX II) even if you felt you could live without it.

For a basic flash the YN460 II does look like a steal @
    I've got a 420 but it has no manual mode and is only controllable via the infra red system (not sure re the ttl pocketwizards but they are v expensive). I recently bought a 460ii and it is brilliant for the money
    Alan
    -------------------------------------------
    Olympus OM-1, EM-1, Canon 5DMkII, and a few other bits and bobs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like the new version is the one to get then. I just found one for $59 delivered and the GN has gone from 33 to 38 and now has a fine tuning power option. I have only ever heard good things about them. Do you use it as a main flash Alan (coolie21)?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Topgunn View Post
    Sounds like the new version is the one to get then. I just found one for $59 delivered and the GN has gone from 33 to 38 and now has a fine tuning power option. I have only ever heard good things about them. Do you use it as a main flash Alan (coolie21)?
    I tend to use it as second flash with the 580. It isn't quite as powerful as the 420/430 - but indoors at least they are rarely at full power anyway

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have YoungNu (but I paid $79!!) It's great, really pleased with it. The diffuser just about eliminates all red eye, in both humans and cats.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bax and others, this thread is a worthwhile read on the YN642 flashes.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that, just got 200 bucks back from Medicare, so........ Off to ebay I go.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just thought I'd share. Nearly purchased then last night. 1 for 40 plus post which is 16. They apparently offer discount on combined postage but when I add the second unit postage jumps to 32. Which is fine really but not what I was expecting.

Asked the seller why 2 items aren't a similar price.

Because they're heavy!!! whatever

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where were you trying? Get them from here

The shipping is *free*, but the price of the items may be higher

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone, they finally arrived today, slow postage, but I'm happy with them, not as powerful as the 580 by any means, but they should definitely do the trick. Will possibly sample them tonight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    post up your samples/thoughts bax... im deciding whether to get some myself

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmbax/4421402621/

That's the only shot I've actually kept with them, along with one of my brothers car, it was more of a test then anything.

Recycle time is pretty slow, I think it's about 5sec on full power, lowest power it's instantaneous.

I'm meant to be getting some shots tomorrow night of a work mates car, but as far as people go I'm yet to get somebody to model for me.

All in all though, for the price, I'm very happy with the product. They seem quite well build, the head has lots of range of movement. They're very simple, Off/On, Pilot, Mode and Power Level Buttons. No fancy displays, just a cheap flash that seems to do the job. Of course you miss out on some of the features of a better flash, but for just a Manual, wirelessly triggered flash I'm very happy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast