User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Business Name - opinions please :)

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with some of the comments above, keep the name but change the logo...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everything is in the name, look above. We even had a popular band named after us. Fortunately we are both still around even after thirty years and neither of us do any direct advertising any-more.
    A good business name needs to become a household word in your industry like "Cadbury", "Kellogs", "Coke", so don't become sentimental. Change the name and/or the logo to achieve that goal. Just remember YOU have to market that name and you don't want to spend half your life explaining to people what it means, particularly if its not popular in the community already. In this sense personal names can become a trap and often convey to others when marketing that you're "big noting" yourself. Some people are comfortable with this but generally it causes you a loss of confidence, and business. Just look through the "wind-up" notices in the paper and they outrank business names three to one. My opinion like many others here is to stay clear of your own name. And, if you ever have to wind the company up your name goes with it.
    Photojournalist | Filmmaker | Writer | National Geographic | Royal Geographic

D3x and other gear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another vote here for Moki Photography with a logo change to make the name look classy.

Name to remember + a classy logo = win win to me

BTW does MOKI mean anything in particular?

Pep

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peppe View Post
    BTW does MOKI mean anything in particular?
    Pep
    Maybe that's where the work needs to be done?

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the name Jessica Simpson would be just way too popular and lost in the searches, go for Moki, the logo looks cute

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jess, I just felt I had to revisit my post as I hoped that I didn't sound to harsh. I wasn't trying to put the mockers on what you are trying to achieve because in all fairness both logos and names look great depending on who your targeting etc which has all been covered above. Pixel mentioned that you would have to pay to register or trademarke a name - yes you do but then YOU OWN that name and it is a small investment for the long term protection it gives your business particularly, if you want to sell it some day.

In todays world the brand name is everything. It's not the secret herbs and spice that makes KFC valuable or the secret recipe to Coke, its the guy's name on the piece of paper in the trademarks office that owns the value in these companies.

We started a small retail business 15 years ago which is still trading successfully and the effort we put in to getting the name right and protecting it have paid off many times over because eventually we were able to franchise it, if only on a small scale. We simply applied the same principles of big business to a very small business. Don't sell yourself short - you never know how successful your small business can become.

Right now we are involved in a small legal stoush unrelated to this business so perhaps that's why I may appear to some to being a bit 'picky' but it's good to know when these situations arise that you have things covered.

All the best with your business.
    Always willing to sacrifice my artistic integrity for cash

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given the market you're in I also think a non-personal name (e.g. Moki Photography) would be best. The logo is the thing that's driving the impression of being "cutesy".
    Even if you don't grow to having franchises, having additional shooters working on jobs for you can fit into a non-personal name.

Quite a few years ago I set up my business under "<My Name> Photography". My name is less common than yours, so I've had no hassles with business name / trademark conflicts, but I sometimes wonder if that was the best idea. At the time I was just starting out, and my areas of "focus" have changed over the years: my name has been able to move with it.

In your case you have a business and market established, and a name such as Moki Photography would seem perfect!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redgum View Post
    Everything is in the name, look above. We even had a popular band named after us. Fortunately we are both still around even after thirty years and neither of us do any direct advertising any-more.
    A good business name needs to become a household word in your industry like "Cadbury", "Kellogs", "Coke", so don't become sentimental. Change the name and/or the logo to achieve that goal. Just remember YOU have to market that name and you don't want to spend half your life explaining to people what it means, particularly if its not popular in the community already. In this sense personal names can become a trap and often convey to others when marketing that you're "big noting" yourself. Some people are comfortable with this but generally it causes you a loss of confidence, and business. Just look through the "wind-up" notices in the paper and they outrank business names three to one. My opinion like many others here is to stay clear of your own name. And, if you ever have to wind the company up your name goes with it.
    Found that one mildy amusing, when you consider Cadbury and Kellogs are both names of families..hehe. Seriously though it does show that if you use a name well, and it is reasonably unique, it can become associated with a product, and grow to become a household name. Some of the best known product brands are family names, but mostly just one word, not a full name.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point, Rick. I wonder who Mr Vegemite was?

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much for everyone's opinions and advice, it has been very helpful.... I really hadn't thought about the whole franchise thing either Aussie Battler so thanks so much for that, Moki would definitely be a better franchise name later down the track should I ever get to that stage. I think becoming a brand of my own is definitely going to be a better way to go rather than trying to ride on the fame of the more famous Jessica Simpson. Everyone's advice has been so helpful and helped me decide that keeping Moki Photography is probably my best move, although I think it definitely needs a change of look to move away from the cutesy market...... I dont want to be pigeon holed into one particular market so a classer look would be better all round. Thanks again for everyone's wonderful advice, very much appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still fighting this battle over and again in my head. I have a business called Janine Hewlett Photography, but sometimes think it is too hard to remember. I do portrait work for kids and families, but am trying to get into weddings. For weddings my name is suited, but not "playful"enough for kids photography. You seem to be in the same situation... I like Moki for family based portraits and your full name for more formal work. On the plus side, your name is very easy to remember, because it is already famous. I agree though that maybe Jess Simpson may be better..

Ausphotography Regular Jeanette's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    with out reading all
    my first impressions
    I love the logs Moki and the colour i just lost the i in there till I looked again thinking it was Mok.. but still love it
    the name one is proffesional and very nicely done and suits moreformal . but if you are doing the kids etc family i love the top one for that

can you blend the two .. if you like both

Constructive Critique and editing of my images is welcome and appreciated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12