Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Teleconverter for Nikon 70-300mm lens

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RRRoger View Post
    What 3rd party #####, camera body and settings do you use?
    Have you practiced your panning?
    Do you prefocus on the spot where you are going to shoot?
    Do you use your AF-On button?

The "Nikkor" 80-400 has never been too slow for me.
    Not for small flying birds nor for motorcycles in a race.
    The AF and VR even work well in an unlit barn so dark that I have to use ISO 6400
    And, the ##### is so good that I have one of my D3 bodies dedicated to it.

The 1.5x MC DG teleplus not only fits but also the AF and VR work fine on the 80-400.
    However, I do agree the cropped image is not always but is often better than the one with the TC.
    Firstly what is ##### supposed to be??? How can I read your post if your using some word which is not permitted?

Next I've had the 80-400 for 6 or 7 years now, together with my wife shooting wildlife here and O/S. I've had a camera in my hand since I was 12 and I'm now past fifty. I think I know how to pan. Yes I use the AF button uncoupled from the shutter button - no I don't prefocus unless there is a good reason, the AF needs to be good enough to manage movement, thats what the little c on a Nikon means, continuous focus.

If you look at my earlier posts you can see what I use - all Nikon - no aftermarket stuff. Been burnt with a Tameron many years ago and will never touch another 3rd party. I dont care if their supposedly better or gold plated, just not interested full stop.

The VR doesnt work well - its adequate, its slow - have a look at a new telephoto like the 400, 500 or 600 then you might realise how good it gets.

Maybe I expect more from my gear, especially when I start comparing it with my 500 which is in a class of its own - maybe your satified with less than I am willing to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a nikon TC 201E but have to run everything in manual. The results were ok with the 70-300vr but its a pita to run fully manual as you really have to chimp it.
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkW View Post
    Firstly what is ##### supposed to be??? .....
    #####.

EDIT:
    LOl!!

L-E-N-S-E!!(hope that one works)

it's in the banned list of words!
    Last edited by arthurking83; 16-02-2010 at 10:58pm.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Teleconverter for Nikon 70-300mm lens

Canon is now a rude word?
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Teleconverter for Nikon 70-300mm lens

Obviously not

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkW View Post
    Firstly what is ##### supposed to be??? How can I read your post if your using some word which is not permitted?

Next I've had the 80-400 for 6 or 7 years now

The VR doesn't work well - its adequate, its slow - have a look at a new telephoto like the 400, 500 or 600 then you might realize how good it gets.

Maybe I expect more from my gear, especially when I start comparing it with my 500 which is in a class of its own - maybe your satisfied with less than I am willing to.

The banned word is L-E-N-S-E.

The new low f-stop/AFS lens acquire focus instantaneously. The 80-400 takes twice as long, but still way less than a second.
    I would expect a lens costing 5 times as much to outperform one with much older technology.
    And I would expect a Prime to focus faster than a zoom.
    The new AF-S 70-300 VRII is not much faster than the old 80-400 on my camera.

The 80-400 Nikkor is way overdue for an upgrade.
    I think that VRII will be the bigger improvement.

You should try prefocusing, especially with your zooms. They will lock on much faster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    70-300 VR at 300mm
    70-300 cropped
    70-300 with 1.5x teleplus MC DG
    70-300 with 1.5x teleplus MC DG cropped
    As you can see the teleplus works with very little degradation.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    70-300 VR at 300mm
    70-300 cropped
    70-300 with 1.5x teleplus MC DG
    70-300 with 1.5x teleplus MC DG cropped
    As you can see the teleplus works with very little degradation.
    Roger, I can see the obvious difference in time that these shots were taken at from the exif data but I am puzzled by the fact that data doesn't show the increased focal length and decreased aperture from fitting the TC.
    The only indication of any change is the ISO has risen from 720 in the first shot to 2500 in the second or did the light fall off that much in the 3 minutes 55 seconds between the shots?
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took the shot with TC first.
    I went into my house and removed it.
    I came back to same spot and shot without it.

The Teleplus does not change the recorded EXIF focal length.
    And, the Aperture did not even show a change on the camera display.

Yes it was quite a bit brighter on the second shot.
    I think that was mostly due to the teleplus zooming in on the first one to a less bright subject area.

I would expect the Auto ISO change to be 1.5x in the exact same conditions.
    Last edited by RRRoger; 17-02-2010 at 10:00am.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The banned word is L-E-N-S-E.

The new low f-stop/AFS lens acquire focus instantaneously. The 80-400 takes twice as long, but still way less than a second.
    I would expect a lens costing 5 times as much to outperform one with much older technology.
    And I would expect a Prime to focus faster than a zoom.
    The new AF-S 70-300 VRII is not much faster than the old 80-400 on my camera.

The 80-400 Nikkor is way overdue for an upgrade.
    I think that VRII will be the bigger improvement.

You should try prefocusing, especially with your zooms. They will lock on much faster.
    We spell the noun "lens" (singular) without an "e" on the end, and I believe the US spells it that way too. Whilst I'm not a spelling nazi, if you modify the way you spell this it will make your posts easier to read without having to guess what word you used.

I would hardly call f4 on the 500 a low f stop lens. If it had of been f2.8 then that would be "low" but as it stands its only one stop better than the 80-400 at full extension.

Why would a prime be any faster to focus than a zoom?? The focus function is based within the camera and driven either through a drive shaft to the lens like my old F5s with AF series lenses or by wire in the D700 with either AF-I or AF-S series lenses where the motive power to change the focus is a small electric motor in the lens. The AF-S are the more recent and function the fastest and most accurate.

Whether the 80-400 is upgraded with VR11 is irrelevant. It needs AF-S with a change to its mechanical system for moving the internal focus components, not just an update to the drive actuation. Otherwise the 80-400 will still be slow to focus and slow in aperture (f5.6). It also needs better IQ due to the softness once past 300mm. Yes you can post all the shots you like but I cant see (or cant be bothered looking) whether they are PP with aditional contrast or sharpening. I have this lens and know its limitations. Thats why I paid $12k for the 500.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anybody knows how to get one of those TCs, I mean Kenko 1.5x Teleplus N-AF MC DG for Nikon? I found nothing on ebay (there are some C-AF or SHQ TCs there but not N-AF) and Amazon doesn't ship to Australia .

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Viewpoints View Post
    Anybody knows how to get one of those TCs, I mean Kenko 1.5x Teleplus N-AF MC DG for Nikon? I found nothing on ebay (there are some C-AF or SHQ TCs there but not N-AF) and Amazon doesn't ship to Australia .
    Umm. go to a reputable camera store and order one???
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All Kenko 1.5x converters have been discontinued.
    The "new" price has doubled if you can find one.
    Again I warn you not to get the inferior SHQ.
    Too bad cause these were not only cheaper than the 1.4x but also AF on a Sigma f/6.3 lens.
    Obviously, Kenko was not making enough money on them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Roger, Is there any difference between N_AF and N_AFD version of Kenko 1.5x MC DG? I wanna use it on my D90 with 70-300mm VR.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using converters with Sigma 150-500

If you have located a teleconverter, be sure N-AF 1.5X TELEPLUS MC DG KENKO is written on it.
    It would be wise to ask the salesman to look for you before shipping.
    I've seen the D in the product description, but don't know what it means.
    They often use pictures of other product and have typos in advertising on the web.

I got a 2x Kenko Pro 300 to try yesterday and was surprised that it would stack on the 1.5x and try to auto focus in very bright light.
    The hand held results at 1500mm were inconclusive and blurry as I only had a few minutes between clouds.
    I will try again this weekend with a tripod and remote.
    Last edited by RRRoger; 03-07-2010 at 1:07am.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12