Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Cropping

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cropping

I am going to enter this photo in a comp, and I'd like advice on cropping. I'm attaching a jpeg which has only been high pass sharpened, it is not a finished edit, but I'd like people's advice on how they would crop it. Or should I leave it full frame and just remove the plastic bag?

Also attached is a crop I've used before, but I'm just not sure if it can be cropped differently to improve it.

Thanks in advance

full image:

former crop:
    Last edited by Analog6; 15-02-2010 at 8:57am.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it uncropped Odille as it gives a better overview of where (terrain etc) the pic was taken. Difficult decision this cropping.
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried cropping a little off the top and bottom but that still leaves birds central. I like your original version as any crop I tried doesn't add anything to the photo.
    Carmen

My Stuff:- Canon 50D l EF 28-80 f2.8-4L
    l EF 100-300 f4-5.6 l Canon 100mm f2.8 macro l Tokina 11-16 f2.8 l Pol. Filter l Flash l Grip l Remote l Tripod l Lightroom 2 l CS3

Constructive Critique of my photos always appreciated

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Odille I'd crop it similar to yours with some minor variations.

off top: I'd crop slightly below the top of the grass so that you basically only see grass in the background. I think this simplifies the image and keeps focus on the birds.
    off sides: Normally I'd be inclined to allow slightly more width (although this may just be personal preference). However the problem with more width here is that the "hole" in the grass top-left becomes more obvious. Need to balance this. (I assume cloning in more grass is not permitted.)
    off bottom: None. No cropping helps keep the log and dark shoreline a bit more away from the centre and I think strengthens the composition.

Note that these crops are likely to result in a non-standard format - don't know if this is important...

Anyhoo just my thoughts. Good luck with the comp...
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks folk. Fillum, I was thinking below the top of the grass too. But I was bringing the bottom up too, I'll have go with what you've suggested and see how it goes. Pity that bird in the background wasn't flying the other way, it would lend itself to a tight crop on the right more if he was, I think.