Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: B&H Photo & SIGMA- Seriously annoyed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

B&H Photo & SIGMA- Seriously annoyed

OK, heres the situation,

Back in Mid January, I decided I wanted to order a Sigma 1.4x tc for my 70-200f2.8 HSM lens.

I sent an email to B&H enquiring whether the unit will be usable for the lens on a Sony mount. They replied and said yes. I emailed back to double check to ensure that the TC would be compatible for the HSM version and I got a semi rude email back advising "That was what you were told".

Since there was no stock avialable in Australia, I ordered the unit.

And guess what (didn't see this coming, did you...) the thing doesn't work. I researched and it appears that for the correct unit, I needed one to start with a Serial number of 5. The one that I was sent started with a 4.

I have emailed Sigma in the USA, who have replied advising me that B&H were aware and should be aware.

I have rang them, I have emailed them, I have chatted with them and they keep telling me they were not aware. They will take the exchange, but now I am out of pocket $90 in shipping fees and guess what, I still don't have the right unit.

As you can guess, I am seriously pissed off. At this stage, this will be my last dealings with B&H & Sigma. I am also pissed as I cannot get the item in Australia (I tried first, but CRK don't have the right one in stock either. I tried here first as it was about the same damn price)

OK, rant over
    Last edited by hoffy; 15-02-2010 at 6:50am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be asking B&H to suck up the shipping on the basis they were asked, and said, that it would work prior to purchase, and you made the purchase based upon their advice.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not sure why you have brought Sigma into this Hoffy? Yes it was a Sigma product, but the fact you got the wrong version is hardly their fault, and rests with the seller.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    I would be asking B&H to suck up the shipping on the basis they were asked, and said, that it would work prior to purchase, and you made the purchase based upon their advice.
    Ohh, I have tried that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad I don't have these dramas owning Canon gear.
    f o t o w o r x

People taking the time out to give me CC is always very much appreciated

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Not sure why you have brought Sigma into this Hoffy? Yes it was a Sigma product, but the fact you got the wrong version is hardly their fault, and rests with the seller.
    Maybe you are right. The issue I have with Sigma is from a lot of the info I have read on the net, it is not overly clear with the sellers either. A lot of the time, the seller won't even look at the serial. It is simply not clear which unit is compatible with which and the sellers appear to maybe not have been advised.

Regardless, I have emailed all my emails to sigma from B&H, hopefully for them to get an understanding of what I have been trying to deal with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

B&H

I went into the B&H store over Christmas, and although it is huge and very impressive, the counter staff were both rude and not very helpful, I walked out without making the purchase, and will not be using them unless I have absolutely no choice.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hoffy unfortunate luck. I can imagine being ticked off, as I would be furious. I would have wrote a rather nasty email, complaining not about their rudeness, but also their incompetence in their job.

I know you mentioned it being vague, but i'd still write a letter back.

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/ Steve Axford's Avatar
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    In this case I think that Sigma is very much involved. If you look at their website and refer to the 70-200mm f2.8 hsm lens, there is no mention of any restriction with the 1.4x converter. If I was in the market for such things I would assume that my 1.4x converter would work. It wouldn't because my converter's serial# starts with a 2. This is very bad labeling. Why not have a version number attached to the product?

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My other problem is the lack of such products in Australia. Its the same with the lens I bought (& probably the same with just about any other camera that is released world wide, but because the cameras themselves are higher on the list, it doesn't last as long).

Whether manufacturors or distributors like it or not, the internet has created a global market place. Heck, even the manufacturors play that game when it comes to manufacturoring the actual items (how many cameras are actually made in Japan anymore?).

Pure and simple (the local versioin at face value was probably no more then $10 more), I would have bought it locally if I could. But the amount of hassle I had just to see if they could get the right one in the first place....... hence why I ordered it from the US (probably 5 mouse clicks and 5 strings of text and the order was placed)

I suppose, though, I have just highlighted the major caveat of buying goods in this fashion. Maybe its just my dumb fault for being a useless consumer who has no idea.... (on that note, some of these sellers must HATE the internet. A well researched consumer has a much better idea nowadays then the sales rep)

Cheers. I'll be over it tomorrow...

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Axford View Post
    In this case I think that Sigma is very much involved. If you look at their website and refer to the 70-200mm f2.8 hsm lens, there is no mention of any restriction with the 1.4x converter. If I was in the market for such things I would assume that my 1.4x converter would work. It wouldn't because my converter's serial# starts with a 2. This is very bad labeling. Why not have a version number attached to the product?
    FYI, this is the info as found on the japan website:

http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english/acc/condaitr.htm

The same information was displayed on the US website about 6 months ago (but in better Engrish )

Like I said, I did email Sigma USA and they said the sellers should be aware. I agree with you Steve. How many items do B&H have on their lists? Its hard to know every intimate detail about everyone of them, so a different part number or even version (the lens I have which I was buying this TC for is a Version II) would have been in order
    Last edited by hoffy; 15-02-2010 at 2:05pm.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hoffy email Henry (henryp@bhphoto.com) regarding your situation, he will be able to help you out. (Henry Posner is director of corporate communications and is great at rectifying problems like this)

From what you say, if BH photo made the error, then they will reimburse you for your return shipping costs.
    Last edited by pollen; 15-02-2010 at 4:51pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. Interesting thing about Henry is he replied to the thread I created on another forum (the other forum know exactly about the issue as it has happened more then once).

I will email him and see how we go.

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser henryp's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bally View Post
    I went into the B&H store over Christmas, and although it is huge and very impressive, the counter staff were both rude and not very helpful, I walked out without making the purchase, and will not be using them unless I have absolutely no choice.
    This is very disturbing and we regret this uncharacteristic incident. I will be happy to address this with our store sales managers if you can help me understand the details and help me ID the person or people whom you found to be rude. My email address is in my sig.

Quote Originally Posted by pollen View Post
    (Henry Posner is director of corporate communications and is great at rectifying problems like this)
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    Thanks. Interesting thing about Henry is he replied to the thread I created on another forum ... I will email him and see how we go.
    I just found your email. I will review it and I'll reply as soon as I'm able. We do regret your dissatisfaction and apologize for the inconvenience.
    Last edited by henryp; 17-02-2010 at 3:05am.

In the area that used to be a dumping tip!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way to go Henry, that is what I call an excellent customer service
    7D | 40D | 24-70L | 70-200L 2.8IS | Tamron 18-270mm | Tamron 17-50 2.8 | Sigma 30mm | Canon 50mm 1.8 | 430EXII

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same problems with my Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 HSM on a Pentax mount using a 2x converter even after I emailed the seller before I purchased and confirmed it would work ok which when it arrived it would not...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks Henry. Good to see a company being proactive regarding issues reported on websites. Something that doesn't happen often, and you are to be commended for your attention to this.

Hoffy, hope this resolves it all positively for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am very pleased to see someone (Henry) taking this onboard and trying to rectify the situation. That is really good customer service and is rare to see in this day and age.
    Justin

Samsung GX-10 (K10D) split prism focus screen and B/Grip| Pentax DA 18-55, M50 f1.7| Tamron SP 28-75 f2.8| Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6| Sigma EF-500DG Super Flash|
    Accessories- Cheapie Tripod, wired & IR remotes, Tamrac system3 bag, macro ext. tubes, etc|

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

B&H

Well this is refreshing, thanks for the followup Henry, i will send you an email offline.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have conversed with Henry via another Forum.

As an update, he has swiftly and thoroughly investigated the situation (both using the information I have sent and speaking with staff internally). With this in mind, I already feel a lot more comfortable that a suitable resolution will occur, including addressing some issues with the supplier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast