In case anybody is interested, (for us Noobs, at any rate) I read somewhere in these fora that it is preferable to link an image from an outside webpage than to upload it directly to this site.
Although I don't use it often, I have found that Windows offers a free storage space known as ' Windows Skydrive' that gives you up to 25 GB of online storage space for free.
You can link your existing Hotmail accounts etc to this 'Windows Live' space.
Mind you, there are also many other sites that offer free storage space that you can sign up to and use.

Last night, I managed to upload images to the SkyDrive site and link these images into a thread on this forum.
One aspect that you need to be careful of is that you must ensure that the folder in which you have placed your photographs is designated as 'public' in the SkyDrive folder's permissions settings.
After successfully linking the photos to this thread, I then tried changing the permissions settings to 'private'.
Interestingly, I was still able to view the photographs in these threads, however, this morning they were not able to be viewed until I made the folder in SkyDrive public again.

That's all, folks!