User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Anyone near Shepparton?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone near Shepparton?

I have just gotten my Nikon D3000 and can't even take a picture of a spider and web out the front door and have resorted back to my 5 year old P&S. I don't suppose there is anyone in the Shepparton area that could show me the basics?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a great bunch of people in the Benalla Camera Club about 60 km down the road. I was a member when I worked for VicRoads in Benalla and found them to be very helpful and friendly.
    Cheers

Larry
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Canon EOS 6D | EF 24-70mm 1:2.8 L II USM | EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM | EF 100-400 1:4.5-5.6 L IS | Speedlight 600EX-RT
    Olympus OM-D E-M1 | Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mk II | Olympus M.Zuiko DIGITAL 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO | Olympus M.Zuiko DIGITAL 12-100mm f/4 IS PRO | Olympus M.Zuiko DIGITAL 7-14mm f/2.8 PRO | Panasonic LUMIX G Leica DG Vario-Elmar 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH | Misc 4/3 lenses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not far away at Echuca, happy to meet you somewhere and get you started with it if you like.

An honest C+C please!

"I started life with nothing and I still have most of it left"

Nikon D300
    Photoshop CS4 Extended

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Whilst you are learning, refer to New To Photography forum as well.

There are several reasons why you cannot get a photo of the spider, the most obvious one would be that you are getting to close for your lens to focus. Lenses have a minimum focus distance, which means there is a point that anything closer than that distance cannot be focused on. So say your lens has a minimum focus distance of 20 cm, that means that anything closer than 20cm to the lens, cannot be focused on. So move back a bit and try again. The minimum focus distance should be recorded in the documentation you received with your lens.

Dedicated macro lenses are designed to allow closer focusing (among other benefits), for this very reason. So if macro type work is one of the things you are interested in, down the track you will need to consider a macro lens addition to your kit. Welcome to the expensive world of photography
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm planning on going through the learning plan on this site. I was just hoping to unpack the camera and be able to use it in the auto mode without having to read a manual though! No such luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't loose hope! Once you get the basics, you'll LOVE your DSLR. It will be worth the learning curve. Good Luck.
    Have: Nikon D90; Tamron 17-50mm 2.8; Tokina 50-135mm 2.8; Tamron 18-270 'alphabet' lens; Nikkor 50mm 1.8; 1x Nikon SB-600; 3x Yongnuo YN560 flash, 1x Yongnuo YN465 flash.

Want: Tamron 90mm 2.8 macro;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry I missed your first post. I am a member of the Benalla Camera Club and get over to Shep on regular basis. Again if you want to meet up we can go through a few basics and get you started with your DSLR.

Rene

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something I always say but don't always follow. "If all else fails, read the manual".
    Keith.
    Keith

Canon 400D Gripped, Canon 7D LCD Timer Gripped, Canon 70-200 f2.8L is ii. Canon 2X iii Extender, Canon 50mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 18-250, Sigma 17-50 F2.8, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 90mm Macro, Yonguno YN460 & 460ii Speedlights and a Hanimax TZ 1 Flash, Wireless Triggers ,LED Macro Ringlight, Extension Tubes, 3 tripods, 2 monopods, PS Elements 5 & 10, PSP9 and canon s/ware, various filters and other photographic paraphernalia all packed in a computrecker backpack. NEW:- Panasonic GX8, 45-150, 14mm F2.5. PSE 2018.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys for your support. Am definately intersted in macro, the ##### does say macro on it but I am presuming that doesn't necessarily mean it takes macro pics....

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spelt lens wrong again didn't I?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alacrity View Post
    I spelt lens wrong again didn't I?
    Yes...hehe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep up the practise.
    I felt very overwhelmed when I unpacked my new camera. However a few months on, I feel i have learnt so much and had so much fun during the process, that is life long!!! I take my camera everywhere and take photos trying out different settings all the time----one day i might just it right!!

This site is invaluable for assistance and tips and you will find your feet soon, just keep shooting.
    Good luck
    (L) plates

Canon DSLR EOS 500D
    Canon 18-55mm, Canon 50-250mm

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks jrdnc09, it is nice to know I am not the only one feeling a bit out of my depth!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The macro term is used pretty loosely by lens manufacturers these days. In most cases it just means the lens can focus reasonably close to your subject. For real macro photography you would need a proper dedicated macro lens.
    Pentax K20D & Grip, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5 DC Macro, Sigma APO 70-200 f2.8 EX DG HSM II, Metz Mecablitz 48 AF-1 flash, LowePro Flipside 300 backpack, Photoshop CS 5, Lightroom 3, Manfrotto Monopod & 498 RC2 Ball Head, GoldPhoto "Tracker" Tripod, Hoya CPL and UV filters, Yongnuo RF602 flash triggers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes alacrity! Benalla Camera Club is a great place to learn and enjoy your photography!
    Our website - http://benallacameraclub.webs.com has our details. You're welcome any time.
    We have over 50 members at all stages of the photographic journey, all learning together.
    See you sometime?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Larry for the reference to Benalla Camera Club.
    Hope all's well for you. Bronwyn