User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: How do they do that??? Interested to learn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do they do that??? Interested to learn.

I have been looking at the competition winning photographs. They are all superb.
    What is the best protocol for finding the settings used, do I just ask within the thread, or is there a clever way of getting the information from the published photo? (In the same way that photos from the camera carry the metadata re shutter and exposure within the file. I kind of assume that the file format on the webpage doesn't carry this info - happy to be proved wrong!)
    Cheers
    Alex

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi mate, are you using IE ? If so download Opanda EXIF viewer, if firefox there's a plug in for EXIF viewers also

The settings will not tell you all that much though, just the camera settings
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think anyone you ask will generally be flattered enough to give you all the gory details... so don't be shy.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As Darksome says, we remove all EXIF from competition entries to ensure the entry remain anonymous. So ask the winning photographer in the winners announcement threads. I am sure most would be happy to help.

However there is a lot more to a good photo that what settings were used, and it all takes time to learn. There could have been filters used on the lens, post processing to enhance it in their editing software and more. Learning to take photos like those that win our competitions takes time, practice and learning.

Post some of your photos in the members photos forums and read the feedback, work on it, and you will get better and better.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More than happy to spill the beans on anything and I'm sure so would all of the other winners ( I think )
    Most of it really goes with the old adage "practice makes perfect" , only perfect is just a goal , never truly obtainable
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a look at your website dtoh,
    I found it not only full of beautiful images,
    but it has lots of info about how you create them too.
    Thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no worries - my view is that the more beauty we portray of the world and the more people who can do it in any medium, it's one of the roads to the corny but virtuous aim of world peace

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the info guys!

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dtoh View Post
    .... my view is that the more beauty we portray of the world and the more people who can do it in any medium, it's one of the roads to the corny but virtuous aim of world peace

while World Peace sounds all inviting and and wonderful, I think it's not quite what it's cracked up to be!
    Imagine how Robert Capa, Eddie Adams, Tim Page.. etc would never have made their mark on the world without the violence of war.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post

while World Peace sounds all inviting and and wonderful, I think it's not quite what it's cracked up to be!
    Imagine how Robert Capa, Eddie Adams, Tim Page.. etc would never have made their mark on the world without the violence of war.
    I missed you AK ....
    Hi Im Darren

www.darrengrayphotography.com

SONY A850 (FF)] + GRIP | SONY A350 (APS-C) + GRIP | SONY NEX-5 +16 2.8 + 18-55 E-MOUNT LENSES | CZ 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-75 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 | 2 x 42AMs | 24" imac | LR | CS4 | + loads of other junk