Thread: Recommend me a laptop please.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recommend me a laptop please.

My mum is keen to get a laptop to use for a bit of net surfing and also photo editing....looking around online has had the sum total effect of making me non the wiser.
    Don't think she wants to go the mac route, so any other recommendations would be appreciated....Up to $1 k, but less would be better. Also don''t think she wants to buy online, so it would have to be available from a bricks and mortar store in Tassie.

Thanks in advance.
    Cheers, Lani.
    Bodies: Nikon D700, D300 Primes: Nikon 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4G, 105mm VR 2.8, 300mm f4. Zooms: Nikon 14-24 2.8, 24-70 2.8, 70-200VR II 2.8, Sigma 10-20mm Processing: Photoshop CS5 extended, LR 3.2.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    hehehe. I did this exact thing yesterday. Was at my mum's and she started her ancient laptop up and walked off. I asked why, she said it takes about 20 minutes to start up. Had a look at it, it must be at least 7 years old, had a 60gb hard drive and 256mb ram and was running Windows ME

So we went out and got her an Acer Aspire 5470 500GB hard drive 15 inch screen, 2gb ram, win 7 (64 bit), for just on $800.00. Will meet her needs of typing a few letters using word, internet banking and reading some news sites etc, and her main usage, emailing. And now she is hooked on skype as well.
    Last edited by ricktas; 08-02-2010 at 6:35pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good one Rick, I am still trying to convince my parents to switch to broadband.
    Just not sure on what sort of video card would be needed for photo-editing, and I think she was liking the look of a 17 inch screen as well.