User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Newbie - USB Help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbie - USB Help

Hi, I'm only new to the world of DSLR. I have just unpacked my new Nikon D5000... yippee.

Charged the battery, Inserted Memory card, taken 20 practice pics, load Nikon software. it all sounds good so far. connected USB lead to camera & PC and NO JOY....!!

Computer won't read the new hardware device. Plugged in my old OLYMPUS into the same port and it reads fine.

Have I missed something in the set up on the PC or the camera.

Any thoughts on what to do or try next would be appreciated....

Cheers

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser DAdeGroot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you launched the Nikon software and tried to import from there ?

Is the camera turned on ?

Have you read the manual ?
    Dave

http://www.degrootphotography.com.au/
    Canon EOS 1D MkIV | Canon EOS 5D MkII | Canon EOS 30D | Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM | Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM | Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L & some non-L lenses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say you'd need to install the software/drivers on the cd that came with it before it will recognise it - should all be in the manual
    Cat (aka Cathy) - Another Canon user - 400D, 18-55,75-300mm Kit Lens,50mm f1.8, Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro, Sigma 28-70 f2.8-4 DG, Tripod and a willingness to learn
    Software used: PhotoImpact, Irfanview and a lot of plugins
    We don't make a photograph just with a camera, we bring to the act of photography all the books we have read, the movies we have seen, the music we have heard, the people we have loved. - Ansel Adams

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kenny, if it is similar to other Nikon models there should be an option within the menu on the camera to set the USB option to a "mass storage device" and then any computer should recognise it as purely another "drive" connected to it.

If you have one, a card reader, either internal to the pc or external and connected by either USB or firewire is in my opinion a preferable way to transfer files.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes if the Nikons have the mass storage option do that but it sounds like you need some drivers are you connected to the internet ? XP and later operating systems should just go out on the web and pull down drivers when you connect a new device.

If you really get stuck do you have a card reader ? you could use that rather than connecting the camera via USB cable.
    Jason / Brisbane QLD flickr
    Canon 5D Mk II 40D, 17-40mm f/4L, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You won't need drivers, unless you're using something like Windows 3.1 or something anyhow!

It's most likely the USB Mass Storage setting. I thought Nikons came with the default setting of Mass Storage, and not PTP.
    The PTP setting is used when you tether the camera to the PC as a capture device.

A card reader is the best way anyhow... generally speaking, faster too.(and cheap)
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbie - USB

Thanks for all the idea's.

I'll go with the card reader as it's appears to be the best all round option.

Cheers...

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    use another USB port, can make a difference

Serial Truant....
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plugged in my old OLYMPUS into the same port and it reads fine.
    I've seen the same problem with a PC at work that the boss downloads his Canon from. He simply unplugs and the USB port refuses to read anything including USB sticks.

Try using the Safely Remove hardware option (in the systray bottom RHS of screen) on the Olympus before plugging in the Nikon, it may be that the Olympus software hasn't released the USB port.
    Last edited by phild; 07-02-2010 at 9:06pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

USB issue sorted

Hi,

Ok..it's fixed.
    The problem was the USB ports in the front panel of my PC which could not handle the high speed that is required for these DSLR cameras. Once I connected directly to the ports on the rear of the unit...bingo...everything worked nicely.

However...I'm also now a proud owner of a external card reader. A great little tool in it's self.

That's again for all the helpful tips.

Cheers...

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roof View Post
    use another USB port, can make a difference
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny A View Post
    Ok..it's fixed.
    The problem was the USB ports in the front panel of my PC which could not handle the high speed that is required for these DSLR cameras. Once I connected directly to the ports on the rear of the unit...bingo...everything worked nicely.

Told ya