User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Why would I use the Adobe Camera Raw Interface ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why would I use the Adobe Camera Raw Interface ?

I have often wondered why you would open a raw image in Adobe Camera Raw Interface, make some alterations and then proceed to make further changes in Photoshop. I understand that Photoshop does not open raw images directly, but why make changes to it before it reaches Photoshop?

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks
    . .
    The more I learn the less I know !

Who me?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well one reason is that you can make adjustments to exposure if you've under or overexposed your image, and or adjust the white balance if its not quite right.
    Cheers David.

Canon 40D/EF-S 17-85 mm IS/Kenko Extenson Tubes/Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II (nifty fifty)
    Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6 /Sigma 70-200/ Sigma 1.4 teleconverter/ some Conkin filters | Adobe Photoshop CS6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    White balance is a great reason. I also have loaded presets for my specific cameras that I can apply too. It kind of mimics the camera's processing as a start point rather than apply Adobe defaults and still has all the detail of the raw image rather than the in-camera jpg.
    Cheers,
    Dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whilst I don't use it directly (i use lightroom which provides the same functionality in a 'prettier' interface), I strive to get the shot in camera and minimise post-processing by not needing to edit images in Photoshop before delivering them to a client. ACR helps this by providing a quick and easy way to process hundreds of images for basic things such as exposure, colour, white balance etc - the kinda stuff you'd do chemically in a darkroom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah my understanding is that ACR / Lightroom are essentially "develop" modules whilst Photoshop could be viewed as the "Adjustment" module.

The short answer to the question
    why make changes to it before it reaches Photoshop?
    would be "because they do different things".

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is an incredibly powerful tool which any serious photographer should (in my opinion) learn to utilise properly. It has many functions, eg, just one is: You can add filters to your shots, just as if you had one on the lens, you can graduate that filter and make it start and finish at any point and skew it to any angle. And you can choose any colour and tone, not just the ones filters some in.

Whyever would you NOT use it?
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Analog6 View Post
    It has many functions, eg, just one is: You can add filters to your shots
    that said, there are some filter effects that work much better when taking a shot (eg. CPLs)

exactly, it's fast and powerful. ACR/Lightroom are workflow tools that save time and effort, not one-off editing programs like Photoshop.
    Last edited by campo; 05-02-2010 at 12:06pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coz I use Aperture? I've heard of ACR though - some quaint little gadget to get people partially immunised to Adobe's user interface before exposure to the complete horror of PS...

Regards,
    Calx
    Calxoddity
    Concert Pianist, Test Pilot, Pathological Liar

Nikon D40, Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 HSM, Nikkor AF-D 50mm f1.8
    Post Processing: Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many times by making a few tweaks in ACR or LR, you don't need to take it to Photoshop. For me WB and recovering highlights or shadows is it's strongest application.
    Also my understanding is the adjustments aren't actually applied to the image until export, so it is also non destructive to the image.
    Cheers, Lani.
    Bodies: Nikon D700, D300 Primes: Nikon 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4G, 105mm VR 2.8, 300mm f4. Zooms: Nikon 14-24 2.8, 24-70 2.8, 70-200VR II 2.8, Sigma 10-20mm Processing: Photoshop CS5 extended, LR 3.2.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So if I understand correctly, ACR will allow you to make changes at a pseudo camera level where as PS will allow you to make changes at a bitmap simulated level.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And milspec, you can make changes to images in batch. For instance, I took a series of 19 images at the surf the other day - they all looked about 1/2 to 1 stop under exposed. I used shift-click to open all 19 in Camera raw, clicked Select All, and adjusted the exposure on the whole lot in one go. Then, because I did not want to open 19 images in Photoshop, I clicked Done instead of Open and they are all adjusted for me in the Browse window.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And milspec, you can make changes to images in batch. For instance, I took a series of 19 images at the surf the other day - they all looked about 1/2 to 1 stop under exposed. I used shift-click to open all 19 in Camera raw, clicked Select All, and adjusted the exposure on the whole lot in one go. Then, because I did not want to open 19 images in Photoshop, I clicked Done instead of Open and they are all adjusted for me in the Browse window.
    Hmmmm, I think I'm sold. Thank's guys for clearing this up for me

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ....... I do most of my PP in ACR....... only major retouching done in PSCS3......