User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: 500d vs 50d

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

500d vs 50d

I'm currently looking at upgrading my dslr and also switching brands.

i'm currently using a nikon d60 but looking at either the 500d or the 50d.

now before pple ask why the switch, from my experience the 500d takes better shots than the d90. I have used both as one mate has the canon and the other has a nikon.

My question is -
    Is the 50d really worth the extra coin over the 500d, i'm not fussed about hd movies, i just want a camera body that is gonna last a few years and wont be replaced in the next 12 months.

chees for any feedback

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate I switched from a 400D to the 50D and the 2 are eons apart in terms of bells and whistles and convenience for use (adjustments to ss, ape, wb, iso, focus point, and so on.

If you have the coin a 50D is definitely the go: the 50D was superceded by the 7D recently and the 7D is about a 1,000 more than the 50D roughly speaking. I would not be going for the 500D against the 50D IF I had a choice. As you know its the LENS and quality of the lens that makes up 90 percent of a good photograph, the body primarily acts as a recorder but ask around, most will agree with me that the 50D is worth the $$ cf the 500D.
    Comments and CC welcome..

Gear: Canon 6D & 1Ds Cameras l Canon EF 17-40mm F 4.0 L USM l Canon EF 24-105mm F4.0 L IS USM l Canon EF 70 - 200 F4.0 L USM Lenses I Manfrotto Tripods I Adobe Photoshop CS6 l Lightroom 3.0 I Lee Filters

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes." Marcel Proust 1871 - 1922

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    the 50D was superceded by the 7D recently
    David the 7D is not a 50D replacement but the next step up. The rumours have it that a 60D is not far away. I have a friend who has the 50D and she as a pro doing portraits is very happy with it although she is hoping to add a 5D mk11 to her kit soon.
    The way it works is the ####D, ###D series are the entry level DSLR's, the ##D is the high end entry/semi pro range and the #D are the pro range.
    My take on things image quality is Body 20%, Lens 30% and operator 50% so buy the best you can afford and practice, practice, practice.
    Keith.
    Last edited by Speedway; 04-02-2010 at 11:15am.
    Keith

Canon 400D Gripped, Canon 7D LCD Timer Gripped, Canon 70-200 f2.8L is ii. Canon 2X iii Extender, Canon 50mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 18-250, Sigma 17-50 F2.8, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 90mm Macro, Yonguno YN460 & 460ii Speedlights and a Hanimax TZ 1 Flash, Wireless Triggers ,LED Macro Ringlight, Extension Tubes, 3 tripods, 2 monopods, PS Elements 5 & 10, PSP9 and canon s/ware, various filters and other photographic paraphernalia all packed in a computrecker backpack. NEW:- Panasonic GX8, 45-150, 14mm F2.5. PSE 2018.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    David the 7D is not a 50D replacement but the next step up. The rumours have it that a 60D is not far away. I have a friend who has the 50D and she as a pro doing portraits is very happy with it although she is hoping to add a 5D mk11 to her kit soon.
    The way it works is the ####D, ###D series are the entry level DSLR's, the ##D is the high end entry/semi pro range and the #D are the pro range.
    My take on things image quality is Body 20%, Lens 30% and operator 50% so buy the best you can afford and practice, practice, practice.
    Keith.
    Yep, absolutely right IF the rumoured 60D comes to fruition. The 7D is a step up between the high end entry level (20D, 30D, 40D, 50D) and pro ranges beginning with the 5D ranges and peaking with the 1Ds. a mk IV version of it coming out soon apparently. If I could get my head around spend 2,000 plus for 7D body I would make myself get my head around jumping up to an early full frame version of the 1D and be done with it
    Last edited by David; 04-02-2010 at 1:04pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    7D is well worth it, but my 40d has taken some amazing pics... so have my 30 and 20D's

M
    www.pbase.com/mcphotographics loooots of pictures!
    hmmm Eq list... 1D II, 5D II, 7D, 100-400 LIS F4.5-5.6, 70-200 F2.8L, 135 F2, 85 F1.8, 24-70 F2.8L, 16-35 F2.8L, 420EX, 580EX II x2 ST-E2 Cir polar filters and much much more all in a neat back pack that kills my back!

Adobe CS5
    Week 16 Sheep Winner
    If you have a question about car / action / sports photography or Canon Cameras PM me...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate, if video isn't your thing, I would suggest the 50D. You can't really compare the 50D to the 500D there in two distinct categories. 500D is still the entry level from Canon that has video capabilities. The 50D is aimed at the more enthusiast type, so you'd expect more usage out of it therefore better build quality partial weather seal, more custom controls and the menu and navigation wheel is a god send much better than on the 500D.

I upgraded from the 450D to the 50D. Like I say as always though xxxDs are great starting cameras but considering you are quite familiar with the DSLR world and came from quite a decent nikon go with the 50D.
    Checkout kevandisa.com and Redbubble
    Gear: Lowepro Minitrekker AW - 50D + BG-E2N, Velbon CX-540 Tripod, 580ex II and couple filters, remote shutter and Kenko AF DG Extension Tubes
    Lenses: Canon EF 50mm II F/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a 60D already?
    the 50D only just came out, what would be better with a 60D compared to 50D?
    www.comptephoto.tumblr.com
    www.flickr.com/photos/jordancompte/

Canon EOS 7D| Tokina 10-17 f/3.5-5.6| Canon 24-105 F/4 L
    Canon 580 EX II | Canon 430 EX II | Canon ST-E2|
    Photoshop CS5 | Lightroom 3|

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate - I have been doing a lot of looking and touching feeling between the 500D & 50D, no comparison in my opion - go the 50D. For me, if you want to HD video, buy a video camera.

Go into a camera shop and play with the two - the decision will be easy. I have done it twice now and the shop are good enough to swap the lens from one camera to the other for comparison. Borrowed a mates 50D with battery grip for a couple of hrs and it is a beast of a camera.
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi ashbox, I was almost ready to post a very similar post. I'm seriously considering changing from a Pentax K200d to either the Canon 500 or 50d. I've been researching every review/rating system/picture samples I can find. Have been saving all my $$$$$ and I could get a 500D and 1 kit lens now but am hanging out for a few more $$$$ to get the 50D. I'm hoping a 60D release will knock off a few dollars of the 50D price. I'd be very interested in knowing how you end up.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for all the feedback guys, will more than likely save a bit more and get the 50d, possibly even a 60d if it takes me that long.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ashbox View Post
    thanks for all the feedback guys, will more than likely save a bit more and get the 50d, possibly even a 60d if it takes me that long.
    I wouldn't be forking out for the much touted 60D when it hits the market....the retailers are awake to this sort of stuff and really thrash you at the cash register.
    I know... as I bought a 50D straight after its release and now see them for only one third the price that I paid!!!!

My advice is get hold of a 50D now while they seem to be "old hat" stuff and believe me they are far from "old hat"...a really nice camera and you won't be paying for video function that you will never use.
    Richard
    I've been wrong before!! Happy to have constructive criticism though.Gear used Canon 50D, 7D & 5DMkII plus expensive things hanging off their fronts and of course a "nifty fifty".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post

I hope im not hi jacking this thread, but was wondering if there is a similar system with Nikon that someone could explain to me like that(as i understand that^)
    Mel

Olympus E300,E30,35mm macro,14-45mm,14-54mm,40-150mm,70-30mm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah the d3000 is basic entry, the d5000 and d90 are mid, the d300s is high end and the d3 is pro, thats pretty much the gist of it for me

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mate, this is the questions I was asking myself very recently.

I ended up going the 50D

Go into a shop and get both of them next to each other and have a play. This is what I did and I instantly went for the 50D. It feels alot better in your hand and navigating through the options are a 10 times easier.

Less plastic may help you keeping it for a while, which was another selling point for me. I'll be holding onto this as long as I can, spend my money on glass.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, i ended up going the 50d a couple of weeks ago, still getting used to it, much bigger and heavier than the nikon d60 i came from.

from the time i've had it i would say its a better camera and feels alot more solid than my mates 500d.

in the end it set me back 2300 with the 18-200mm glass, then had to get a cf card, and extended the warranty to 3 years so all 2500 and i was good to go.
    Last edited by ashbox; 08-03-2010 at 7:56pm. Reason: swear filter wouldn't let me have ##### in there

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ash, show us some of the photos and tell us what you think is wrong with the D90 photos. Mostly it is related to operator error, etc, not the camera. The camera is just a sensor and a lens, it is the user who sets up the camera with aperture, iso, shutterspeed and composition that makes the photo. You may just need guidance and changing brands will not fix the issues you face.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lense is naughty
    Lens singular, lenses plural

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    Lense is naughty
    Lens singular, lenses plural
    hmmmm from now on ill be using lense when ever i want...

evil laugh...

M

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well fellers, I'm glad I logged back in here today as I have only just bought a canon 50d, I bought the pack with the 18 - 200 lens hanging off the end, (brand new off eBay for $1,650 from a feller who had it given to him and never unpacked it then sold it, only two weeks old with full warranty) I updated from my old Fuji finepix s9500 which was a great camera but I gotta say the 50d makes me look like an expert, the piccys are nothing short of amazing and let me tell you I'm a died in the bone flunky when it comes to cameras, I have yet to progress past the auto setting LOL!. as for lenses well I'm tracking them down slowly but surely!!, I got the canon 10 -22mm in my sights plus a couple of others, but oh boy thats where the money is gonna go!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I upgraded from 350D to 20D to 40D ($680.00Ebay) and and the 40D is a great camera and can only believe that the 50D is even better the wheel is my favourite feature Never regretted upgrades only the 5D Mark II noise improvement make me green.