User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: HDR photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HDR photography

I discovered today that there is another way to present photos via HDR ( i believe it means High dynamic range imaging) which to me means very little at the moment!

just wondering if there are members on here who DO apply this method? and what would the benefits of it be and the downfalls? i have googled some examples and been blown away and some photos remind me of the images here also.

just wondering if there is more info on the forum about this? If so or not can someone guide me to have a bit more of a read about it.. it sounds interesting.

if there is any members on here who do use this method would love to see examples.

BTW i hope i have placed this in the right area of the forum.

Cheers
    Maxx
    My Fotos
    My Current Gear -
    Olympus DSLR E520, Lens Zuiko Digital 14-42mm f3.5-5.6.
    Fujifilm Finepix S1000fd, 10.0 Digital(non SLR)
    Adobe Photoshop Elements 6.0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HDR involves the blending of several different exposures of the same image in an attempt to create a picture with the correct exposure for each part of the image.

The trick is to use a tripod so there is absolutely no movement of the camera between each exposure (which would result in a blurry picture) and to keep your aperture the same.
    Only the shutter speed changes. You can use the bracketing function on your camera if you have it.

I use a program called Photomatix for HDR images.
    I believe you can download a trial program to see if you like it.

If you google HDR you will find lots of examples on the internet, but IMHO the most successful HDR images are the ones that look natural.

It's lots of fun, so have a go.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    HDR can look good with a very 'natural' look about the photo, or it can look over-processed and, in my opinion, bad!

There are lots of examples of HDR work across Ausphotography. For me good HDR work doesn't look like HDR. So if the first thing I think is "Oh its an HDR" it has lost me straight away.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HDR work can be extremely effective given the right scenery / subject and if you want to explore it further a good place to start would be right here on AP.
    The one person here that produces extremely enviable work ( in my opinion ) is Dylan, some of his travel shots are rippers and he has taken the time to produce and link to a HDR workflow tutorial.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just Joined

Hi
    I have just joined and at the moment I am very interested in HDR photography and am trying various software programs, Hope to learn a lot from this site

regards Louis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HDR photography aint complex as such... the only complexity, as mentioned here, is making sure it doesnt look fake. Of course if the aim is to have an artistic representation of HDR then by all means do so.

Heres a shot of mine, biggest problem I face with HDR is movement of subject (clouds, plants etc) between exposures, which gives you the blurr effect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackal View Post
    That is the HDR I like and will be aiming for.

Been away for a while but getting back into the game hopefully =)