User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canon 7D Battries - Real or Fake?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canon 7D Battries - Real or Fake?

Hi, I'm in the market for a spare battery or two for my 7D. I've seen genuine ones around from about $80 and of course there are plenty of copies out there for as little as $10.

I've also found many places that sell fake batteries with their own charger, complete with a warning. Refer here for example! That worries me a bit.

I recall reading somewhere that there is issues with using the copies in the 7D, does anyone know about this?

I'm also considering a battery grip, and wonder if two batteries, one real and one copy will play nice together?

Any advice appreciated.
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven't got an answer for you Mic - I tried searching for one myself and came across a few stories of non-OEM batteries causing electrical faults in 5D2s (same battery). In the end went for a genuine battery - I've found battery life to be so good (over 500 photos each) that I've never felt a need for a third. Certainly way better life than my old 40D used to last.
    Richard
    Canon 5D4 & 7D2 | 11-24 f/4 L | 24-105 f/4 L | 100-400 L II | 85 f/1.2 L | 35 f/1.4 L II | 100 f/2.8 L macro | MP-E 65 f/2.8 macro | 1.4x | 580EX2 | MT-24 Twin Lite | Manfrotto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What i've noticed, is that the genuine battery is 7.2v and 1800mAh, and the copies are 7.4v and 1400mAh.
    Jayde

Honest CC whether good or bad, is much appreciated.
    Love and enjoy photography, but won't be giving up my day job.

Flickr

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are heaps on eBay that are 7.2V 2200mAh for like $15 including a charger. Seems to good to be true so probably is!

Serial Truant....
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I buy genuine every time, they're not that expensive and their performance is consistent.

Not sure about clone batteries but on the 5DII the camera tracks battery usage dependant on the serial number of the battery.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't the 7D battery have a smart chip in it?

From memory the chip is proprietary and the aftermarket copies are yet to replicate it.

I will do some more research and update shortly.
    Canon 50D, Assortment of lenses that I will list here sometime soon.
    CS3 Ext, Manfrotto 055XPROB w/ 322RC2 & 486RC2 Ball Heads, BG-E2N Grip, 380EX Strobe and a willingness to learn.

My Flickr
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/hackcessor/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really depends. The 5dmkII and 7d have battery info which wouldn't be calculated when using a generic battery. I used to find great results when using generic in the 40d, however have chosen genuine in my 5d as its too expensive to bother with cheap batteries.

Canon 5d MKII w/ Grip - Canon 40d w/Grip - Canon 17-40 f4L - Canon 17-55 f2.8ISL - Canon 60mm f2.8 Macro - Canon 24-70 f2.8L - Sigma 30mm f1.4 - Canon 50mm f1.4 - Canon 85mm f1.8 - Canon 70-200 f2.8L - 580EXII - 580EX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After some reading I opted for the original when I upgraded to the 5DMII.
    AKA Sean

Canon 5D MKII - 24-105L - 70-200 F4L IS - 70-300 IS USM - 28 1.8 - 35L 1.4 - 50 1.4 - 85 1.8 - 100L Macro - 200L 2.8II - Tamron 17-35 2.8 - Sigma 150-500 - 430EX - and a stack of other bits and pieces.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a bit of research on the batteries and it seems that the genuine charger and batteries have a chip in them and will destroy the generic batteries, this is why they sell battery and charger together, the warning on one site suggested if you have the original battery and a generic one that you put the genuine charger away and charge both with the generic charger as this causes no problems, this was noted on a number of sites.
    I purchased a battery and charger from here it is a 2000mAh battery and the charger can be used in a 240v socket or a cigarette lighter.
    Re the 7.4v this is wrong as 6 1.2v cells = 7.2v.
    I am looking at a generic battery grip with batteries the same brand as I have had on my 400D for over 2 years and these come with charger too.
    Keith.
    Last edited by Speedway; 31-01-2010 at 9:27pm.
    Keith

Canon 400D Gripped, Canon 7D LCD Timer Gripped, Canon 70-200 f2.8L is ii. Canon 2X iii Extender, Canon 50mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 18-250, Sigma 17-50 F2.8, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 90mm Macro, Yonguno YN460 & 460ii Speedlights and a Hanimax TZ 1 Flash, Wireless Triggers ,LED Macro Ringlight, Extension Tubes, 3 tripods, 2 monopods, PS Elements 5 & 10, PSP9 and canon s/ware, various filters and other photographic paraphernalia all packed in a computrecker backpack. NEW:- Panasonic GX8, 45-150, 14mm F2.5. PSE 2018.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    I purchased a battery and charger from here it is a 2000mAh battery and the charger can be used in a 240v socket or a cigarette lighter.

Keith.
    Hi Keith, that is the same one I was looking at. Have you had it long, what's your experience with it? I guess for $20 you haven't lost much if it doesn't work, but my real concern is if it does any damage to the camera etc. A car charger would also be really handy!

Ausphotography Regular wideangle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tend to come to the thinking that if you are willing to spend quite an amount on a camera, then $80 for genuine batteries is a small price to pay for piece of mind.
    please ask before PP my images

"Life is what happens to you while your busy making other plans"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wideangle View Post
    I tend to come to the thinking that if you are willing to spend quite an amount on a camera, then $80 for genuine batteries is a small price to pay for piece of mind.
    That was my thinking too. When I bought my 7D and grip from Fabian I was spending over two grand so why risk damage to save about sixty bucks.
    Canon 1D, 5D, 7D & D2000 plus lotsa extras
    See here for gear list: http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...d.php?p=151869

My photo website http://www.touring4x4.com/
    Travel & photography blog: http://www.touring4x4.com/blog/

PP & CC is OK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think if we choose the battery with correct voltage, the genuine battery and the cone battery doesn't have great different on the impact of camera.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i bought some cheap batteries for my 20D ages ago.. they were intermittant with their life and never worked well, so since i have used genuine.... and never looked back

whay save $60 to ruin a 2500 or 4000 camera body ??

sounds like great mathematics to me

M
    www.pbase.com/mcphotographics loooots of pictures!
    hmmm Eq list... 1D II, 5D II, 7D, 100-400 LIS F4.5-5.6, 70-200 F2.8L, 135 F2, 85 F1.8, 24-70 F2.8L, 16-35 F2.8L, 420EX, 580EX II x2 ST-E2 Cir polar filters and much much more all in a neat back pack that kills my back!

Adobe CS5
    Week 16 Sheep Winner
    If you have a question about car / action / sports photography or Canon Cameras PM me...

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 4 batteries for my 400D 1 genuine, 1 inca and 2 that came with the battery grip and after nearly 25000 shots all 4 are still performing well. As for the 7D battery only time will tell, the only problem I can see is that with the generic you lose the battery info function. As for the cost savings $60 each battery plus about $120 on the grip and $100 for a car charger = $400.00 This makes a huge difference when you survive on a pension. It has taken me years to build my kit and every cent saved counts.
    Keith.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just an update to this thread. I have now had my 7D for nearly 2 months and using both the (1) genuine and (2) generic batteries I have found no difference in performance, the generic charger charges the genuine battery in the same time as the genuine charger and has the added advantage of the 12v cigarette lighter adapter included, now I have put the genuine charger away and keep one of the generic chargers at home and the other in the car,although with three batteries I have not had to use the car one yet even though the 150-500Sigma tends to use a lot of power as does the 18-250, possibly the OS and HSM. At under $40.00 for 2 batteries and 2 chargers (less than 1/2 the price of 1 genuine battery) this is a good way to go. The lack of battery info has not been a problem for me as the first time i notice it is when the camera shuts down anyway.
    Last edited by Speedway; 26-03-2010 at 1:09pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had my grip and generic batteries for about two weeks and have stopped using the generic batteries and are now only there for emergencies.
    Apart from loss of battery info, I noticed that the fps didn't seem as quick, but it wasn't until I was next to someone shooting their 40d that I was sure, the 40d sounded a lot faster than my 7d, so I pulled them out and put the genuine battery back in, and wouldn't you know, it was sounding like it should've.
    So for me, i'll only buy genuine from now on.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No such problems with mine, FPS is fine as is everything else. As there is nothing in a battery to cause this:-
    1. were the batteries fully charged. It is recommended to leave the batteries in the charger for at least 1 hour after the charge indicator goes out, (both genuine and generic). Also it can take a few cycles before batteries reach full capacity.
    2. How many shots had you taken in the burst and is your card fast enough.
    Keith.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Batteries were charged overnight, and i know the card's not the problem as it's fine when using the original battery.
    Maybe the problem is that the generic batteries are 7.4v and 1400mAh which i thought i'd checked before i bought them, apparently i didn't, the canon are 7.2v and 1800mAh, could 400mAh less make a difference.

Keith did you end up going with the ones that you linked to.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I did and both my generics are 2200mAh. I don't think the 0.2 volts would make any difference. The 400mAh would only effect the charge life. Where did you get your grip from?
    Keith.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast