17 40.48%
  • No - I only use the screen that came with my camera

14 33.33%
  • Yes - I use an after market screen

9 21.43%
  • Sight screens at the Cricket

2 4.76%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Focusing Screens - do you use alternates?

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Focusing Screens - do you use alternates?

I've got an after market focusing screen.
    Specifically this one "Rule of Thirds" split image microprism focusing screen for PENTAX K-7. .

Who else uses alternate screens?

I like the split prism for manual focus!
    My 1977 vintage MX has one and I have one on my K20D as well.

FYI There are three main alternates that I've found:
    a) Katz-eye
    b) Focusing Screens
    c) Other eBay cheapies

So what are your experiences?
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I voted yes I use one, but with the caveat that I use to use it on my D70s(when I used that camera in anger).

I'd love to get a KatzEye for the D300, as I have a few manual focus lenses that will benefit from them, especially the 500 mirror, as the split microprism centre spot blackout is delayed beyond f/8.
    This was very annoying with the cheapie($30) ebay cheapie I got for the D70s, but it worked well for the other MF lenses I have.

My only reservation about getting the KatzEye immediately is that I read a bit more about focusing screen a while back and was alerted to another manufacturer(in the UK) that uses Canon focusing screens. Apparently these are a little better, and there are more variations on the split screen other than the standard half split that KatzEye have.
    Besides a D700 is at the top of my to get list, so I'm probably better off waiting for that for now.. depending on how easily that body manual focuses.

For now, and in many situations, LiveView is adequate for tripod use.

So from my limited experience, with cheapie crabby focusing screens, I think they're worth the effort, and make manual lenses a much nicer user experience.... which saves a bit of money on lenses down the track too.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually didn't know that you could get them for dslr's I saw some on an old Canon F-1 at Christmas and thought really interesting on that how put them in and it changed the focus view etc
    Cat (aka Cathy) - Another Canon user - 400D, 18-55,75-300mm Kit Lens,50mm f1.8, Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro, Sigma 28-70 f2.8-4 DG, Tripod and a willingness to learn
    Software used: PhotoImpact, Irfanview and a lot of plugins
    We don't make a photograph just with a camera, we bring to the act of photography all the books we have read, the movies we have seen, the music we have heard, the people we have loved. - Ansel Adams

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I miss the focus screen in my old film camera. The AF on the D40x is limited to three points and there are times it just won't do what I want or need. However, the matte screen is impossible to get razor sharp focus with. (The deliberate removal of split screens was a retrograde step IMO.)

I've been toying with buying a KatzEye for a while - they have quite a few different arrangments - but have also being toying with buying a new camera .
    Regards, Rob

D600, AF-S 35mm f1.8G DX, AF-S 50mm f1.8G, AF-S 24-85mm f3.5-4.5G ED VR, AF-S 70-300mm F4.5-5.6G VR, Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Photos: geeoverbar.smugmug.com Software: CS6, Lightroom 4

Who me?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just use what came with the camera but those Katz eye"s remind me of the screen on my first SLR many...many years ago, a second hand Practika, it was a very easy(read accurate) manual focus with that screen.
    Cheers David.

Canon 40D/EF-S 17-85 mm IS/Kenko Extenson Tubes/Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II (nifty fifty)
    Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6 /Sigma 70-200/ Sigma 1.4 teleconverter/ some Conkin filters | Adobe Photoshop CS6

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't use one - D700 isn't capable of alternate screens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ticked aftermarket as that was the only yes option but what I have is actually a Pentax ME Super screen that I cut down to fit my camera. I found the tip on the net somewhere and knew I could handle the job. I bought 2 for $5 delivered off a guy that services SLR's and its been excellent. I was having trouble with my MF lens and this has helped immensely and the only problem i have found is if you want to pan you have to have the focus somewhere near what you need so you can see what your trying to shoot. It has also helped in making sure the AF has focused on what I want it to.
    Justin

Samsung GX-10 (K10D) split prism focus screen and B/Grip| Pentax DA 18-55, M50 f1.7| Tamron SP 28-75 f2.8| Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6| Sigma EF-500DG Super Flash|
    Accessories- Cheapie Tripod, wired & IR remotes, Tamrac system3 bag, macro ext. tubes, etc|

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Live View does change things.
    The K-7 lets you zoom in on the LV and then I manually focus - which is great for static tripod shots.
    But for other MF situations I love the prism.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ticked No, but may use one in the future,

like others have been contemplating on getting one for the D60 then im still undecided whether i shud go for it. either the ones from katzeye or the cheaper alternative from focusingscreens.com

:S help?

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser DAdeGroot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't vote because although I use an alternative ficus screen, it is s genuine Canon accessory. I used the Eg-D grid screen.
    Dave

http://www.degrootphotography.com.au/
    Canon EOS 1D MkIV | Canon EOS 5D MkII | Canon EOS 30D | Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM | Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM | Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L & some non-L lenses.

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been thinking about a Katz Eye for a while for split prism manual focusing (D300). A bit nervous about the install procedure however.
    I'll check out your alternate product link as well...

Cheers.
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I voted No.
    Although I used a Katzeye with my D80, when I upgraded to D300 I didn't feel the need to have anything additional.
    Live View makes all the difference, otherwise I use Auto Focus.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkW View Post
    Katzeye have a focus screen for the D700. Link: (Katzeye D700)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Irrespective of what Katz offer, the Hogan user guide said it was not possible to change the focus screen. Whilst it may be possible, I'm not going to play with it and run the risk of stuffing something up.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'ld really love to have a split-screen in my camera's, but afaik there are none for Canon's FF camera's
    Ciao, Joost

All feedback is highly appreciated!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed the Canon EF-D in my 40D, it is the one showing the grid which makes framing, straight horizons etc all so much easier, less cropping during pp.
    Julie

Canon 6D,Fuji X100
    l Canon 50mm f1.8 MK l l Canon 85mm f1.8 l Canon 100mm f2.8L Macro l Canon 24-70IS f4L l LR4/CS6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkW View Post
    Yeah they are, see here for instructions: http://www.focusingscreen.com/work/d700en.htm

I recently bought a cheap ebay one for my D90. Paid less than $25 including postage, because I wasn't convinced I'd like the split screen. It arrived scratched and covered in black fibres, but I cleaned it up and installed it anyway. It seems like it would be useful for certain types of photos and less useful for others. The seller is sending a replacement but I'm not sure I'll end up using it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoz View Post
    Yeah they are, see here for instructions: http://www.focusingscreen.com/work/d700en.htm

I recently bought a cheap ebay one for my D90. Paid less than $25 including postage, because I wasn't convinced I'd like the split screen. It arrived scratched and covered in black fibres, but I cleaned it up and installed it anyway. It seems like it would be useful for certain types of photos and less useful for others. The seller is sending a replacement but I'm not sure I'll end up using it.
    Thanks for that, but I'm not going to risk a $3k camera to a set of instructions written in INGRISH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never realised that you could change the focus screen,
    installation would be stressful for me.

Cant think of a current situation where I would use one,
    but that may change in the future.
    Chris

- Constructive Feedback Appreciated

My stuff: Nikon D90: 35mm f1.8, 55-200mm f4-5.6G
    Tamron 17-50 f2.8 and a growing collection of other stuff.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Certainly sounds like a great idea, I have it on my old Nikon FM Series 2 and like it, not confidant in installing one though! I use LiveView for tricky manual focusing making the object as large as I can, eye sight has taken a bashing this past year so use it more and more.
    Margaret

Fuji XT2 Manfrotto MF 055XPROB Pro Tripod & gynbal head, Fuji 18-55 mm, Fuji 14 mm, Fuji 55-200 mm, Fuji 80 mm macro, Fuji 60mm macro, Fuji 100-400 mm, SB600 Speedlight, Photoshop, Lightroom on a Mac, Critiques welcomed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast