User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: What Sharpening Tool Do You Use?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Sharpening Tool Do You Use?

Hi Everyone,
    Just wondering what everyone uses to sharpen their images and how they rate what they use.
    Photoshop, Lightroom, DPP, Aperture, Plug-in and if so which one, etc.
    Thanks for your input.
    Carmen

My Stuff:- Canon 50D l EF 28-80 f2.8-4L
    l EF 100-300 f4-5.6 l Canon 100mm f2.8 macro l Tokina 11-16 f2.8 l Pol. Filter l Flash l Grip l Remote l Tripod l Lightroom 2 l CS3

Constructive Critique of my photos always appreciated

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Carmen,
    Depends for me. I always shoot raw and use DPP for the first cut as I find it does the raw stuff best. If the shot is fine in DPP I sharpen as the lsat action before I save to tiff. If I need to do some work I use PS Elements and sharpen last then save to tiff or jpeg. My issue is that PS Elements does a very poor job with display on my Dell laptop - let me stress that this is the fault of the laptop display and not the software. I am about to purchase the new iMac which will allow me to calibrate and benefit from the PS software which is very good.

Bottom line for me is I always sharpen last, so depends what software I use to process as to what I use to sharpen.

Finally, I am far from the best at PP of photos so will be interesting to hear other comments.

Hope this helps to get your thread going.

Mike
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mainly use lightroom but to retouch eyes and other area in portraits I move to Photoshop and work with the un-sharp mask.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Focalblade as a plugin inside Aperture.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mark I have had a good look at Focal Blade and it looks good. Can you get sharpening that really pops? I use Lightroom 2 and find its sharpening not quite good enough. I have installed Mogrify, which works in Lightroom's Export but you can't see your results till it's all over. Very frustrating.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: What Sharpening Tool Do You Use?

Nik software's sharpen tool. I use their two step process where it does the presharpen of the raw, then an output sharpen according to the device it'll be displayed on, inkjet or screen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another using Focalblade here - is a great plug in
    Cat (aka Cathy) - Another Canon user - 400D, 18-55,75-300mm Kit Lens,50mm f1.8, Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro, Sigma 28-70 f2.8-4 DG, Tripod and a willingness to learn
    Software used: PhotoImpact, Irfanview and a lot of plugins
    We don't make a photograph just with a camera, we bring to the act of photography all the books we have read, the movies we have seen, the music we have heard, the people we have loved. - Ansel Adams

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clm738 View Post
    Mark I have had a good look at Focal Blade and it looks good. Can you get sharpening that really pops? I use Lightroom 2 and find its sharpening not quite good enough. I have installed Mogrify, which works in Lightroom's Export but you can't see your results till it's all over. Very frustrating.
    I don't want sharpening that "pops", I want the scene to look natural like I haven't used a sharpening tool at all - just the way the image would appear to the eye.

I use it in aperture and CS3 and both show a live sharpen. For LR - I don't know, I don't use it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a look at the recent posts on sharpening by ricktas.

I like high pass filter sharpening because of the control and ability to tweak at any time.
    Wazza

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I use High Pass Sharpening on a layer, then will mask some sections of the sharpened layer, leaving some sections sharp, and others a little softer. Sometimes an even, whole of photo sharpening doesn't work, and doing any sharpening method on a layer so you can adjust its intensity in various areas of the photo can make all the difference.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography