User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: France/Germany (and now Aussie Govt) call on users to abandon Internet Explorer

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm .. so we get a choice of evil foreign monopoly (Ebay/Google/Paypal) vs evil domestic monopoly (Telstra). Well, at least Google are generally fairly competent and only evil now and again when it suits them, as opposed to ..... well, we all know what Telstra are.

Errr ... what was the question?

(Scolls up to top of thread, refreshes memory)

Oh, Internet Explorer.

Well, seeing as I was talking about evil, incompetent monopolies, I maintain that I was, in fact, still on-topic. Sort of. Telstra, by the way, are also responsible (sorry, I actually mean "irresponsible") for what is without doubt the worst major website design and codebase I have ever, ever seen - I understand they have farmed it out to a marginally less incompetent subcontracter recently and it can actually load, given a fast connection and a big modern computer, in less than a week now, but www.afl.com remains the ruling champion of all that is worst about the web.

Errr ... what was the question again?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the news NOW warning Australians NOT TO LAUNCH INTERNET EXPLORER because of security concerns.
    Carmen

My Stuff:- Canon 50D l EF 28-80 f2.8-4L
    l EF 100-300 f4-5.6 l Canon 100mm f2.8 macro l Tokina 11-16 f2.8 l Pol. Filter l Flash l Grip l Remote l Tripod l Lightroom 2 l CS3

Constructive Critique of my photos always appreciated

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not that Internet Expolder is evil. It's just crap.
    If it wasn't for the corporate support IE would have gone the way of evolution and died like the dinosaur it is. Pah.
    Alan
    -------------------------------------------
    Olympus OM-1, EM-1, Canon 5DMkII, and a few other bits and bobs

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even the Aussie Govt is saying something http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...19/2795684.htm

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't care - been a firefox man for quite some time. Will be going iMac very soon so even less concerned about viruses, hacking etc.
    I do like the windows system for usage but the last couple of yrs it has just become a playground for hackers and the amound of system over head for Virus engine / scanner, firewall management, Malware tools etc has become rediculous.
    I think very soon Bill will have to spend some of his billions getting that UNIX based OS running under his desktop or he may have to change Microsoft to Microflop.
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hop on aboard peeps. this inn not an anti IE thing or even a anti MS thing its not about hating one system and loving another... its security and that is far more important.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    Oh, I forgot to say: anyone still using Internet Explorer after all these years and all those warnings .....
    Right now there is a fair size pile of infected machines sitting in my workshop awaiting disinfection and cleanup. .... This week, there are more than usual, and I'm going to have to put in a lot of extra hours over the next couple of days to get them all done ... this makes me frustrated because I know perfectly well that close to 50% of the infections are caused by Internet Explorer's security vulnerabilities, and there is hours and hours of extra work I'll have to do to repair them all. ..... I'm tired and don't want to do all that overtime!
    Another three have come in so far today and it's only just lunchtime.

I don't know how many of those were caused by Internet Explorer - one or two out of the three would be average - but the length of the queue is getting a bit out of hand.

sigh

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another three have come in so far today and it's only just lunchtime.
    I don't know how many of those were caused by Internet Explorer - one or two out of the three would be average - but the length of the queue is getting a bit out of hand.
    sigh
    But how will you pay for a 1D-IV without all those customers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatever!

I was just saying that Firefox and some websites don't mix.

It doesn't matter if it is because the shoe is too small or my foot is too big... The problem exists all the same.

Scotty

This is just wrong.

Saying "Firefox has compatibility issues with websites" is like saying "My speelchecker iz brroken bcoz eet hs poot rede uinderlines unda thees whole sentense".

Firefox is highly compatible with the international standard that govern web design. Firefox doesn't have compatibility issues, the site has problems if it doesn't work with a standards-compliant browser like Firefox. If you find a broken site, tell the webmaster to lift his game. This isn't 1997 anymore.
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty72 View Post
    I was just saying that Firefox and some websites don't mix.
    Then complain to those website owners/webmasters - tell them to grow up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    Then complain to those website owners/webmasters - tell them to grow up.
    It really doesn't bother me enough to lift a finger of complaint.

I have Firefox, IE and Chrome. So if one has issues, there are 2 more.

Scotty

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty72 View Post
    It doesn't matter if it is because the shoe is too small or my foot is too big... The problem exists all the same.
    No. You cannot change the size of your foot. The bootmaker must change the size of the boot.

Similarly, there are formal, internationally-agreed official standards for website design. Every properly trained and competent person in the industry knows about them and follows them as routine. Every competently-designed web browser does the same. (If you like, I can provide you with chapter and verse references and enough reading to make your eyes glaze over.) If the page design follows the rules, the page will work in any modern browser. If it ignores the rules, then it will most likely break. Firefox does a much better job of following the international standards than Internet Explorer. Much better.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But how will you pay for a 1D-IV without all those customers?
    Someone will just send me the money?

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Trading post now works with Firefox - they obviously came into the 21st century.
    So it does.

It must be more than 12 months ago that I last tried it when it didn't work --- so I never bothered going back for another look since.
    I wonder how many other people simply "switched off" on that site or any other that doesn't work with their chosen browser?

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info Rick, all fixed. Deleting IE now.
    Keith.
    Keith

Canon 400D Gripped, Canon 7D LCD Timer Gripped, Canon 70-200 f2.8L is ii. Canon 2X iii Extender, Canon 50mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 18-250, Sigma 17-50 F2.8, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 90mm Macro, Yonguno YN460 & 460ii Speedlights and a Hanimax TZ 1 Flash, Wireless Triggers ,LED Macro Ringlight, Extension Tubes, 3 tripods, 2 monopods, PS Elements 5 & 10, PSP9 and canon s/ware, various filters and other photographic paraphernalia all packed in a computrecker backpack. NEW:- Panasonic GX8, 45-150, 14mm F2.5. PSE 2018.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    interesting thing using cc cleaner i always find a heap of stuff in the IE cache? and i dont use it????
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Miaow; 20-01-2010 at 6:19pm.
    Cat (aka Cathy) - Another Canon user - 400D, 18-55,75-300mm Kit Lens,50mm f1.8, Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro, Sigma 28-70 f2.8-4 DG, Tripod and a willingness to learn
    Software used: PhotoImpact, Irfanview and a lot of plugins
    We don't make a photograph just with a camera, we bring to the act of photography all the books we have read, the movies we have seen, the music we have heard, the people we have loved. - Ansel Adams

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, can someone explain it to me....................

I realise I can download Firefox, when it's installed do I just click on that to use the internet?

Can IE still remian on the hard drive?

If I'm using Firefox and can't get onto a site (I'm thinking internet banking here cos I use three banks regularly each week) can I then open IE alongside Firefox to do the banking or whatever?

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redstocks View Post
    OK, can someone explain it to me....................

I realise I can download Firefox, when it's installed do I just click on that to use the internet?

YES, do it.

Can IE still remian on the hard drive?

YES but preferably don't do it, dump IE instead.

If I'm using Firefox and can't get onto a site (I'm thinking internet banking here cos I use three banks regularly each week) can I then open IE alongside Firefox to do the banking or whatever?

YES But the best option is to use firefox and then tell your bank / banks that since they don't build websites that support firefox that you are going to a bank that does.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    Thanks for the info Rick, all fixed. Deleting IE now.
    Keith.
    I didn't think you could completely delete IE.

Can you?

Scotty

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I realise I can download Firefox, when it's installed do I just click on that to use the internet? Yes

Can IE still remian on the hard drive? Yes. In fact, it should, because IE is needed for some particular tasks*, notably Windows Update, which is essential. Just don't ever use it to surf the web.

If I'm using Firefox and can't get onto a site (I'm thinking internet banking here cos I use three banks regularly each week) can I then open IE alongside Firefox to do the banking or whatever? Yes But do that with the likes of Firefox, Opera, and Seamonkey, not with Internet Explorer. Why would anyone even half-sane want to use the most insecure browser on the market for the most security-critical tasks? It just doesn't make sense.

Right now, I'm not aware of any internet banking site in Australia which doesn't work just fine with all the major browsers. (I'm not saying there isn't one, just that if there is, I haven't heard of it. I know for a fact that Commonwealth, Westpac and NAB work just fine with all browsers, and that ANZ used to, presumably still does.)

But if, by some chance, your bank's internet banking software is so bad that it doesn't work with the safe, modern browsers, how much trust can you afford to put in the institution at all? Would you deposit money at a bank that didn't know how to build a secure strong room? No? So why would you deposit money with a bank that doesn't understand internet security? Close your account pronto! You can't afford to take those sort of risks.

-----------------

* Note for pedants: yes, of course there are workarounds. If you are enough of a geek to know about them, then you don't need any of the advice in this thread, and you will only confuse people if you make a song and dance at this point.
    Last edited by Tannin; 20-01-2010 at 7:19pm.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12