User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: VC causing vibration

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VC causing vibration

I was down on Newcastle harbour on saturday night taking pictures of the city scape when i noticed on full zoom the image was blurred, i use a D90 with 18-270 and slik 300 tripod, after making sure my kids weren't bumping the tripod i thought to turn off the lens' VC and i got a stable image. Why was the VC causing vibrations instead of reducing it?

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You shouldn't be using any image stabilisation on the lens whilst using a tripod(now you realise why ).
    There are a few lenses with a dedicated tripod/monopd image stabilisation mode, but from memory most of them are the heavy, longer professional type lenses.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arthur is on the right track, but perhaps a little behind the current state of play. In the Canon world (and I imagine in Nikonland as well) pretty much every lens with IS is capable of detecting a tripod and adjusting as appropriate. The only exceptions are the handful of early-model IS lenses that are still in production, most notably, the 100-400. The big white primes, for example (400/2.8, 500/4, and 600/4) were introduced more than ten years ago now, and all are tripod-friendly.

Your 18-270, however, will be a third-party lens. Which ones calls IS "VC"? It's not Sigma (they call it "OS" as I recall) and I don't think Tokina have an 18-270, so it must be Tamron. But that doesn't matter: none of the third-party lens makers have been doing IS for very long. I imagine that they are up to around about where Canon were 10-12 years ago with a lens like the 100-400 (non-tripod friendly). But I also imagine that they won't take all that long to change that: a couple more years maybe.

In the meantime, your practical answer, as you have discovered for yourself, is to switch the IS off when using a tripod.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So when the Tamron lens can't detect any vibrations, it makes it's own vibration? Isn't technology great...

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giac View Post
    So when the Tamron lens can't detect any vibrations, it makes it's own vibration? Isn't technology great...

very few tripods/heads can account for the high frequency vibrations caused by mirror slap.
    That's why there's a tripod mode(on Nikon's VR lenses, where fitted) as these vibrations are different to the kind normally associated with hand held photography.
    I suspect that what Giac experienced has more to do with mirror slap, and the inability for this lens to compensate for that.

Both my 105VR and 18-105VR seem to magnify vibrations when using them on a tripod.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giac View Post
    Not just Tamron, most brands do this with VR/IS/OS unless they have a tripod mode
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post

very few tripods/heads can account for the high frequency vibrations caused by mirror slap.
    That's why there's a tripod mode(on Nikon's VR lenses, where fitted) as these vibrations are different to the kind normally associated with hand held photography.
    I suspect that what Giac experienced has more to do with mirror slap, and the inability for this lens to compensate for that.

Both my 105VR and 18-105VR seem to magnify vibrations when using them on a tripod.
    This is what I was going to suggest. Mirror slap. In your camera there's an option to delay the mirror closing for a second. Can't remember the name of the option off the top of my head though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exposure delay mode, menu item D10 in the custom settings menu.

I do make a habit of turning on when using a tripod. Some say it is not necessary for exposures longer than a second, but I still like to turn it on because it certainly won't hurt.

But mirror vibration was not the cause here as has already been said.