Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: 70-200 F2.8L IS Clunk Noise

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

70-200 F2.8L IS Clunk Noise

I've just purchased a Canon 70-200mm F2.8L IS lens new from a Melbourne store. It has a bit of a clunk noise when the IS starts and again when it stops. It's not very loud, but I would say it is pronounced. I don't recall hearing this from the 55-250 kit lens and the noise from the 24-105 IS is much quieter.

Just wondering if others with this lens hear similar things from theirs?
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Its all good. Happens with Nikon's VR as well, some lenses seem to make a more pronounced noise than others.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mic. I have the same lens and it does it as well. Nothing to worry about. Just enjoy it
    Cheers Peter
    Canon 7D...Canon 40D...Canon 24-70L 2.8...Canon 70-200L 2.8...Canon 17-85...Canon 50mm...Speedlights....Tripods...Filters... Battery grips.... And heaps of other stuff

There are always two people in every picture.. the photographer and the viewer.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK

I just fired mine up as a matter of interest and it does it too!! Sounds a little like someone rolling marbles on a wooden floor.
    Never noticed this before but I guess I am always in a noisy area with the camera and you certainly don't notice it there
    Richard
    I've been wrong before!! Happy to have constructive criticism though.Gear used Canon 50D, 7D & 5DMkII plus expensive things hanging off their fronts and of course a "nifty fifty".

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser DAdeGroot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the 70-200/2.8L IS does this. It's caused by the size of the element that's being moved, and the strength of the motor required to do so.

Elements in this lens (and the Nikon variety) are large and heavy chunks of glass, whereas the little consumer 55-250IS is using elements that weigh a lot less and thus have less inertia to get over.
    Dave

http://www.degrootphotography.com.au/
    Canon EOS 1D MkIV | Canon EOS 5D MkII | Canon EOS 30D | Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM | Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM | Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L & some non-L lenses.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reassurance guys, I thought it probably was ok as it doesn't sound grindy or clicky, its more a sound of engagement.

BTW did I mention that I love it, I think back to my thread a while ago about L glass and if it is really that good....well it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I envy you right now...

But good purchase, I ended up renting one and I thought they had given me a dud boy did I feel like a newbie.
    Checkout kevandisa.com and Redbubble
    Gear: Lowepro Minitrekker AW - 50D + BG-E2N, Velbon CX-540 Tripod, 580ex II and couple filters, remote shutter and Kenko AF DG Extension Tubes
    Lenses: Canon EF 50mm II F/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A whole new world, isn't it Mic? How do you like your 24-105L? I love mine, it is the most used lens for me.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep loving both my new lenses. It certainly is a step up from a 450D and kit lens to a 7D with L glass. The speed alone is worth the money, but then when you factor in IQ, sharpness etc....WOW.

The 24-105 will be my walkaround lens when traveling the UK next month, so it will get plenty of use!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

70-200 F2.8L IS Clunk Noise

As mentioned on the forum yes the 70- 200 does have a clunk noise but it's a wonderful lens and sought after by many canon owners.

It's geat you are travelling to the UK next month, I also have the 24-105 lens and found on occasions that 24 was not wide enough when we travelled through Egypt

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hardy View Post
    It's great you are traveling to the UK next month, I also have the 24-105 lens and found on occasions that 24 was not wide enough when we traveled through Egypt
    Thats why I have the 10-22mm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont know if its been said . The noise is the (is) turning on . ITSD THE SAME ON THE 300MM
    Last edited by macui; 24-02-2010 at 11:46pm.
    ALL THE GEAR NO IDEA

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by etherial View Post
    I've just purchased a Canon 70-200mm F2.8L IS lens new from a Melbourne store. It has a bit of a clunk noise when the IS starts and again when it stops.
    That's quite normal.

It's also the case with other lenses, such as the 300mm (et al.) primes.

I'm not sure how quiet is the engagement and disengagement of IS on lenses with the latest generation of IS, but that on the 70-200/2.8L IS and 300/2.8L IS is second-gen, so it's quite old (11 years in the case of the 300).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep mine does the same. I was amazed I could hear the IS working, but it's normal as far as I know.
    Criticism & Suggestions welcome
    A pretty standard Canon setup covering the 17-200 range.
    Sigma 50 1.4
    Various film cameras

My Flickr stream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/arubaato/