Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canon L Lens

Ausphotography Regular wideangle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you get the Canon 10-22 you won't be let down by its optical qualities including great colour tones and sharpness.
    please ask before PP my images

"Life is what happens to you while your busy making other plans"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sigma 10-20 going in 1hr on ebay only at $350 now
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/10-20mm-F4-5-...#ht_500wt_1179

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have personally tried Canon 10-22mm, great lens, IQ comparable with 17-40L. My 2 cents - if you want to stick with crop factor - get Canon 10-22mm, if you plan going full frame at some point, probably 17-40L is more balanced purchase.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    The Tokina 12-24 is suitable for APS-C (crop) bodies only and arent suitable for full frame bodies. Its the Sigma 12-24 that suits FF bodies.
    In another Photography Forum this subject was raised, and somebody had both a cropped body and 5DII (Full Frame camera) as well and tested the Tokina 12-24 lens on both.
    it fits on both they said, and they even showed resulting comparison pictures as well.

It did work, but the vignette at shorter focal length settings of the lens on FF wasn't the best they indicated, but the other end of the scale the pictures looked OK.
    I suppose not best suited for FF Camera bodies and more so on APS-C camera's, as the marketing on the lens suggests ...

l don't have a Full frame Camera, but would like to test it one day to see for myself as well

maybe another member can confirm or deny this !?

Either way, Great Lens for a APS-C Camera

Quote Originally Posted by Dwarak View Post
    Thanks for the information guys the canon 17-40mm f4l sounds good I found it on anazon for 699.00 USD I may go in for that....
    How did you go Dwarak ! what lens did you get in the end?

Cheers
    Last edited by PerfectPicture; 21-01-2010 at 10:21am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectPicture View Post
    In another Photography Forum this subject was raised, and somebody had both a cropped body and 5DII (Full Frame camera) as well and tested the Tokina 12-24 lens on both.
    it fits on both they said, and they even showed resulting comparison pictures as well.

It did work, but the vignette at shorter focal length settings of the lens on FF wasn't the best they indicated, but the other end of the scale the pictures looked OK.
    I suppose not best suited for FF Camera bodies and more so on APS-C camera's, as the marketing on the lens suggests ...

l don't have a Full frame Camera, but would like to test it one day to see for myself as well

maybe another member can confirm or deny this !?

Either way, Great Lens for a APS-C Camera
    Did they shoot at the wide end (12mm) as I believe you run the certain risk of a very expensive mirror/mount collision.
    Canon 1D, 5D, 7D & D2000 plus lotsa extras
    See here for gear list: http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...d.php?p=151869

My photo website http://www.touring4x4.com/
    Travel & photography blog: http://www.touring4x4.com/blog/

PP & CC is OK

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andrew, I think you must be thinking of EF-S mount lenses, not EF mount.

Genuine EF lenses are all designed for full frame. Canon is the only manufacturer. They use the EF mount and thus fit onto and work correctly with any EF Canon body - full-frame, APS-H (1.3 crop), or APS-C (1.6 crop).

Third-party EF lenses may be designed for full frame or for crop bodies. They use the EF mount, so they fit on and can safely be used with any EF Canon body - 35mm full-frame, APS-H, or APS-C. Lenses designed for full frame work correctly with APC-H and APS-C bodies. Lenses designed for APS-C bodies fit on 35mm bodies and are safe to mount and use, but usually vignette significantly, so in practice they are of little use. There are no lenses designed for APS-H bodies. Lenses designed for APS-C may or may not vignette on APS-H but are safe to use. Summary: these lenses fit on everything, may or may not vignette on 35mm and APS-H.

EF-S lenses Only made by Canon. EF-S lenses use a modified version of the EF mount. The back of the lens sticks out further than is allowable with an EF lens. In consequence, EF-S lenses do not fit onto or work with 35mm or APS-H bodies. They are only for use with AP-S C bodies. There are no third-party EF-S lenses.

Unless there is a weird lens I've never heard of, you can safely mount any third-party EF (Canon mount) lens to any EF mount Canon camera, including 35mm full frame bodies and APS-H bodies. As examples, my two Tokinas both work well on my 1D III - the 10-17 vignettes to black under about 13mm; the 35mm macro is perfect in every way.
    Canon EF compat
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Example: Tokina 10-17mm fisheye at 10mm on a 1D III.

As you zoom, the vignetting disappears rapidly. By 13mm is has completely gone. (Not sure about 12mm, haven't got a 12mm shot to examine. Must try one. Even zoomed in to 13mm, on a 1.3 crop 1D III, the lens is seriously wide!)

Example 2: Tokina 35mm macro on a 1D III. Like the first shot, it has not been cropped or post-processed in any way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 16-35.. And a 10-22.. Both have their uses,, wouldn't get rid of either.. If you have the money.. Get the 16-35.. Other wise the 10-22.. Is a good substitute for a crop body.. Ps I don't play with non canon stuff.. Its like buying an astra door to fit a pulsar, yeah they fit.. And it will work.. Buuuuuuuuuut every one will know your just cheap.. *** puts on flame suit ***

M
    www.pbase.com/mcphotographics loooots of pictures!
    hmmm Eq list... 1D II, 5D II, 7D, 100-400 LIS F4.5-5.6, 70-200 F2.8L, 135 F2, 85 F1.8, 24-70 F2.8L, 16-35 F2.8L, 420EX, 580EX II x2 ST-E2 Cir polar filters and much much more all in a neat back pack that kills my back!

Adobe CS5
    Week 16 Sheep Winner
    If you have a question about car / action / sports photography or Canon Cameras PM me...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clubmanmc View Post
    Ps I don't play with non canon stuff.. Its like buying an astra door to fit a pulsar, yeah they fit.. And it will work.. Buuuuuuuuuut every one will know your just cheap.. *** puts on flame suit **
    And well you should, because you are way out of line. Price is not the only or even the best reason to buy non-Canon lenses. There are some truly excellent lenses out there in non-Canon land, and there are some genuine dogs with a genuine Canon label too. You have to choose on merit, not blind prejudice.

As examples, show me the Canon-branded lens that can replaced my superb little Tokina fisheye zoom. Yup: there isn't one, not at any price. And it's a brilliant lens. (With optics by Pentax, this really shouldn't surprise anyone.)

Now show me the Canon-branded 35mm macro lens. Or, indeed, any short macro lens - I'll pay anywhere between 20mm and 40mm. But no dice, Canon don't make one.

Tony. Canon owner. Not cheap.
    Last edited by Tannin; 22-01-2010 at 11:30am.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Tannin for your input, WOW! l really like the Tokina 10-17mm Fisheye shoot you have taken, quite sharp, looking at the ground and car its sharp all round, and like the border effect as well, l have to tinker around in Photoshop for ages to get a result like that hahahaa
    And as you mentioned you zoom in a bit, the vignetting is completely gone. Good Multi-purpose lenses Thanks for sharing,

Quote Originally Posted by Clubmanmc View Post
    I have a 16-35.. And a 10-22.. Both have their uses,, wouldn't get rid of either.. If you have the money.. Get the 16-35.. Other wise the 10-22.. Is a good substitute for a crop body.. Ps I don't play with non canon stuff.. Its like buying an astra door to fit a pulsar, yeah they fit.. And it will work.. Buuuuuuuuuut every one will know your just cheap.. *** puts on flame suit ***

M
    Wow Clubmanmc .. l'm a big canon supporter as anybody out there, but to blindly say if its not stamped canon, its cheap and no good is being closed minded to the other Great lenses out there ... Try them mate and see the differences Research them, feel them, test them and you might be pleasantly surprised of the quality some other manufacturers have available.
    And as Tannin said above, l have to agree, canon might not have the lens available for that focal length or purpose.
    that said, l still love my "L" Series Lenses as well
    (now, where's my commission .. canon l accept cheques or L lens ) wmhahaha

Opps hope were not hijacking your original post, O.P.
    Last edited by PerfectPicture; 22-01-2010 at 11:51am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recent purchased the Canon 10-22mm. I really like this lens its just fantastic for something larger I also have the 24-105mm now as well. The advantage is that both can use the same ND filters and the lens hood for the 24-105mm will fit the 10-22mm, I wish I knew that before I ordered the cheap ebay one (the cannon $77 for a bit of plastic was a bit steep).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I initially bought the sigma 10-20mm lens and found it very poor. Barrel distortions, Poor IQ, CA's and very poor resolution compared to the 18-55mm kit lens (at the same focal length). I took it back to the shop for another copy and found the second copy had the same faults.
    Sigma are well known for their hit & miss quality. If you can get a good copy all well and good but the two copies of the sigma 10-20mm I had made the 18-55mm kit lens look good.

In the end I swapped it for the Canon 10-22mm. Well worth the extra money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For Canon crop Canon 10-22mm is a great lens, I used it on my 400D and 50D, moved to FF but still missing it sometimes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    And well you should, because you are way out of line. Price is not the only or even the best reason to buy non-Canon lenses. There are some truly excellent lenses out there in non-Canon land, and there are some genuine dogs with a genuine Canon label too. You have to choose on merit, not blind prejudice.

As examples, show me the Canon-branded lens that can replaced my superb little Tokina fisheye zoom. Yup: there isn't one, not at any price. And it's a brilliant lens. (With optics by Pentax, this really shouldn't surprise anyone.)

Now show me the Canon-branded 35mm macro lens. Or, indeed, any short macro lens - I'll pay anywhere between 20mm and 40mm. But no dice, Canon don't make one.

Tony. Canon owner. Not cheap.
    whats the length range of your fish eye zoom??

how often do you use the fish eye?

M

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12